PDA

View Full Version : knocking when cold?

Grogador
06-07-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm looking for my first bike, and a friend of a friend has a 81 kz440 ltd that he wants to let go pretty cheap. We fired it up, and for the first minute or so I could hear what sounded like knocking from the motor at idle. He says it's normal when cold, and the bike was tilted on the stand. It ran fine shortly after, and was real smooth after it warmed up and we could turn the choke off.

So I'm wondering, is this knocking business normal?? He can also include a kz300, has a sheared pin in the tranny or something? Lots of shared parts...

Thanks!

civicman
06-07-2008, 01:56 AM
well I have to say first hand old bikes there all the same been playin with them now for 18+ years now. First hand if it ain't new it won't sound old. Makes sense don't it. I drive an 85+86 honda Interceptor. When I first fire the old things up it chaters to until the oil fire's up to the top end choke it first then as soon as the oil hits she or he what ever you want to call it. Typical of all old bikes or cars ect. With out regular maint or rebuild it all sounds the same. Techn has changed so much unless you have 6500 + for a new one or 20,000 plus for a new car or bike. It's going to cost all the same in the long run with repairs or just a new one.. First hand I love my old bikes and cars the bike you describe it's very truth worthy in my eye's good old reliable. Good bike. I'd by it if it runs and moves. They don't get any Cheaper good starter bike.

Supa Dexta
06-08-2008, 03:39 PM
What size ceptor? and how many kms? I used to have one yrrrrs ago.. A 500 in highschool...

Grogador
06-09-2008, 04:00 PM
oi threadjackers :P

well I asked on a kz owner's forum... and found out these early kawi's had weak bottom ends... I have enough projects, looks like I'll be making putt-putt noises on the mountainbike for now :(