PDA

View Full Version : Golf in Calgary...

Davan
08-24-2003, 09:43 PM
For all the golfers in Calgary, just wondering what courses you guys would suggest.

I am a regular at Paradise Canyon in Lethbridge; my dad has a corporate membership there. But as for Calgary, I have yet to play any courses.

I've played the Strathmore Country Club... wasn't overly impressed with that course. Kinda boring, kinda easy, and kinda plain, if you know what I mean.

The course up in the north off Country Hills looks really nice. I dunno, I have yet to see a course I find as beautiful as Paradise, even in Ontario...

Suggestions?

Abom
08-24-2003, 09:45 PM
The course on Country Hills / Bedding Trail is a popular and well liked one. I have several golfer friends who play there a lot and really like it.

Ben
08-24-2003, 10:06 PM
I was a member at McKenzie Meadows for years. Challenging Water course but NO TREES! Silver tip is my personal fave for around town courses.

DUBBED
08-24-2003, 10:07 PM
heritage point - desert/heritage nines...
valley ridge is pretty good now...
country hills is definately one of the best if you can find someone to get you out there....
many of the best courses are all private...
redwood meadows out in bragg creek is an amazing layout...

szw
08-24-2003, 10:08 PM
anyone interested in buying a redwood meadows membership?

DUBBED
08-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I was a member at McKenzie Meadows for years. Challenging Water course but NO TREES! Silver tip is my personal fave for around town courses.

yeah mckenzie you would find waaaaaaay to easy if youre used to paradise...

and i still have a hard time justifying $130 to play golf at silver tip...

check out kananaskis one day it pretty cheap and still one of the top 50 in the country

DUBBED
08-24-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by szw
anyone interested in buying a redwood meadows membership?

$$$???

szw
08-24-2003, 10:11 PM
I will have to get back to you on the price. Its my dads membership and he's moving.

Davan
08-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Country Hills is private?

Where is Silver Tip? Is it a fairly challenging course? Green fees are how much? I'm not really a fan of paying more than... say fifty bucks for 18...

I guess I'm going to have to check out this Redwood Meadows and Kananaskis...

Maybe we need a Beyond Golf Day! None of my friends golf...

DUBBED
08-24-2003, 10:22 PM
haha i will school you all!! mwhahaha!!

dood its serously hard to pay less than $50 for a round these days...

k country was like 65 last time i checked and redwood is like 75....

silvertip is $130... ive never played it but ive heard its one of those "resort" type course which are built more for the views than with the practicality of good golf in mind!!

finboy
08-24-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED

check out kananaskis one day it pretty cheap and still one of the top 50 in the country

nice course, bonus points if you can find the tree i hit with a golf cart :thumbsup:

Davan
08-24-2003, 10:29 PM

dood its serously hard to pay less than $50 for a round these days...

k country was like 65 last time i checked and redwood is like 75....

silvertip is $130... ive never played it but ive heard its one of those "resort" type course which are built more for the views than with the practicality of good golf in mind!!

Damn. That's brutal. I guess everything really IS more expensive in Calgary... :D

I personally think Paradise in amazing, and regular green fees there are fifty even.

Guess I'll just have to keep making weekly trips down south! :D

Thanks for all the comments everyone! And keep 'em coming! :)

Abom
08-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Davan
Damn. That's brutal. I guess everything really IS more expensive in Calgary... :D

I personally think Paradise in amazing, and regular green fees there are fifty even.

Guess I'll just have to keep making weekly trips down south! :D

Thanks for all the comments everyone! And keep 'em coming! :)

Hell, if it's less than half the price down there, then keep going down there.

B18C
08-24-2003, 11:22 PM
I went to Springbank Links last week and it's pretty nice. I think it's $48. I thought it was pretty hard but I did just start golfing this year.

Weapon_R
08-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Is redwood near kananaskis?

Davetronz
08-25-2003, 12:03 AM
I am willing to go out and play some golf, however, the courses in Calgary are murder for cost :(

Madspinner
08-25-2003, 12:47 AM
Hey Davan,you should come play Highwood golf course in High River . 27 holes. I think if I remember it is $45 to play and twlight is cheaper. You can take Tyler with you . Hes gone to the driving range a couple of times.

Gondi Stylez
08-25-2003, 01:24 AM
try cotton wood and you WONT be dissapointed!!!! and very good price too!

DUBBED
08-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
try cotton wood and you WONT be dissapointed!!!! and very good price too!

cottonwood is private

redwood is out in bragg creek

closer that k-country

Davan
08-25-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Madspinner
Hey Davan,you should come play Highwood golf course in High River . 27 holes. I think if I remember it is $45 to play and twlight is cheaper. You can take Tyler with you . Hes gone to the driving range a couple of times.

Since when does Tyler golf? :D And do I know you? :confused:

High River sounds good... Might have to give that one a shot... Thanks for the tip! :)

I guess High River and Redwood seem to be the front runners. :)

mwmhong
08-25-2003, 11:19 AM
U of C campus is great for night golf

Madspinner
08-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Davan

Since when does Tyler golf? :D And do I know you? :confused:

High River sounds good... Might have to give that one a shot... Thanks for the tip! :)

I guess High River and Redwood seem to be the front runners. :)

Yeah Tyler gone out once ,but been with him a couple of times to the driving range . Hmmm ,You might have seen me a couple of times ,The name is Andy . I live with Tyler so that how I kinda know you .
Highwood is a very nice course .

Davan
08-25-2003, 11:46 AM
ahhhh gotcha. I was confused. lol :D

RC-Cola
08-25-2003, 12:17 PM
You might want to try this link. It list all of the Golf courses in Alberta that belong to the CPGA.

http://www.golfaga.org/Membership_golf_page/Membership_member_clubs.html

K-Country is still the best deal around Calgary. It's $55 and if you can get on the Kidd course you're in for a treat. You might also want to try Elbow Springs or if you want to go cheap go to Carstairs in the evening.

Let me know if your looking for someone to play with, I'm always willing to go out. :thumbsup:

Davan
08-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Sounds good! Thanks! I actually have a new set of irons I need to break in too. :D

Gondi Stylez
08-25-2003, 12:32 PM

cottonwood is private

ye i know, but if he knew someone tnen that would be well worth it and plus if he wanted a memebership he could do that also!

DUBBED
08-25-2003, 01:18 PM

ye i know, but if he knew someone tnen that would be well worth it and plus if he wanted a memebership he could do that also!

:thumbsdow cottonwood is great though i agree!!

Gondi Stylez
08-25-2003, 02:41 PM

:thumbsdow cottonwood is great though i agree!!

:thumbsdow ??? well i like it and so do my buddies!!! and 2 of my friends shoot 60's to low 70's ALL THE TIME!! and are still challenged by the course

surferbaby13
08-25-2003, 06:50 PM
theres a sweet one in willow park but you need a membership to play or pay alot of cash to play....its a gorgeous golf course

Hash_man
08-25-2003, 07:08 PM
theres a sweet one in willow park but you need a membership to play or pay alot of cash to play....its a gorgeous golf course

Willow park?! are you talking about Mapleridge? If so its a really nice course, although I have yet to play it myself.

I just went out for my first time this year, which is pretty sad, and just went and shot 9 at lakeview. I was kinda surprised that I shot a 40 on a par 30 course.

I really need to go more often, and I wanna go shoot 18 soom, but I dont have $50 to spend on golfing.

nickopolis
08-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Kananakis is a nice course and not too expensive (only an hour drive) and the Elks club is really nice too if you have a membership or know someone with one.

DUBBED
08-25-2003, 07:48 PM

:thumbsdow ??? well i like it and so do my buddies!!! and 2 of my friends shoot 60's to low 70's ALL THE TIME!! and are still challenged by the course

oops i meant :thumbsup: ... who are your friends i probably know them?!?

Ben
08-25-2003, 07:58 PM
I suck at golf, Last season I brought my handicap down to a 12, so obviously I have some work to do. Best score at lakeview was a 31. Although I did take a time out and rip 8 balls into the Reservoir, haha, I love my 7 degree driver.

surferbaby13
08-25-2003, 08:57 PM
on a nine hole my score is usually 74....but I rock at mario golf so I have been practicing hehehehe

Madspinner
08-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Ha Mario golf is awesome ,Yeah I work at the High wood golf course. I have free golf there and I can usually get the guest on for 1/2 price. I have gone out plenty of times this year .

surferbaby13
08-25-2003, 09:09 PM
mario cart tho on N64 is the best.....i am a pro at that game....

Wildcat
08-25-2003, 09:15 PM
come to heritage pointe (i work there), its by far the best course in alberta (other than the mountain resort courses IMO) and we just dropped our green fee from $110 to $85 on weekdays but sat/sun are still $110 bones

i think we're ranked 21st in canada in score golf magazine... :dunno:

anywayz come out, theres 3 nines to choose from and we got some of the best service around :thumbsup:

Gondi Stylez
08-25-2003, 09:15 PM

oops i meant :thumbsup: ... who are your friends i probably know them?!?

Brock Hartwell and Jordan Flemming

i dont think you know them! what is ur name?!

RC-Cola
08-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I suck at golf, Last season I brought my handicap down to a 12, so obviously I have some work to do. Best score at lakeview was a 31. Although I did take a time out and rip 8 balls into the Reservoir, haha, I love my 7 degree driver.

Dude if you have a 12 handicap then your an really good golfer. Less than 15% of all "honest" golfers can break 100. If your shooting 84 regularly then you must very good and must not suck at golf...

Wildcat
08-25-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola

Dude if you have a 12 handicap then your an really good golfer. Less than 15% of all "honest" golfers can break 100. If your shooting 84 regularly then you must very good and must not suck at golf...

Ben is a *cough*sandbagger*cough*cough*.. :D

Hash_man
08-25-2003, 09:37 PM
Best score at lakeview was a 31. Although I did take a time out and rip 8 balls into the Reservoir, haha,

Haha, that is so fun. They should make a driving rage that shoots in to the water there.

As soon as I get some more money, I am going for 18 holes. I dont know where though, I want something fairly cheap. lol.

RC-Cola
08-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Any of the City courses are fairly cheap for 18. Try Shaganappi or Mackenzie lake...

Madspinner
08-26-2003, 02:05 AM
I heard Inglewood is a good course and fairly cheap.

DUBBED
08-26-2003, 02:06 AM

Brock Hartwell and Jordan Flemming

i dont think you know them! what is ur name?!

chris lessoway...

haha i used to play a shit load of tournaments whe i was younger... i usually shoot mids to low 70's now.... im trying to play on the the mount royal team this year then go to the states next year and play college golf!!

Gondi Stylez
08-26-2003, 02:10 AM

chris lessoway...

haha i used to play a shit load of tournaments whe i was younger... i usually shoot mids to low 70's now.... im trying to play on the the mount royal team this year then go to the states next year and play college golf!!

o what? thas messed cuz brock is doin the exact same thing! he has a golf scholarship or someshit at MRC for a year or 2 and then prolly will be goin to arizona! is this gonna be ur first year at MRC? we should meet up im goin their 2! and same with brock and jordan! what courses u taking??

Gondi Stylez
08-26-2003, 02:10 AM
or hahah maybe we should move to PM?! haha

Seanith
08-26-2003, 04:43 PM

hmm they must not be too challenged by the course then :rolleyes:
Hey davan if your willing to shell out $100 i can bring you out to priddis greens..

lammer
08-26-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by surferbaby13
mario cart tho on N64 is the best.....i am a pro at that game....
is this a challenge??! haha

Ben
08-26-2003, 06:35 PM
I'll school you all at Mario Kart.

surferbaby13
08-27-2003, 01:03 AM
i was talking to my mom about good golf courses and she said I really beautful course is in Pridis.....its on the way to bragg creek for anyone who is unaware of that area

Phats
08-27-2003, 02:31 AM
the problem is that most of the best courses in Calgary like Calgary Golf and Country Club, Earl Gray, Glencoe are private, however, I like D'Arcy Ranch, nice golf course and green fees are $55 for 18, I would suggest checking it out.

Seanith
08-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by surferbaby13
i was talking to my mom about good golf courses and she said I really beautful course is in Pridis.....its on the way to bragg creek for anyone who is unaware of that area

yes that would be Priddis Greens. I'm a member there. Take 22x and its like a ~15-20 minute drive from the S.E..

Oh and darcy's ranch is a good course too.. i haven't played it in years but its worth the drive to okotoks :thumbsup:

surferbaby13
08-27-2003, 06:04 PM
its totally a challenge.......but in my case it won't be a challenge cause I'd be kicking your asses.....toad all the way

omar_allibhai
08-28-2003, 09:03 AM
cheap city course not too difficult is shaganappi point, and cheap for albertans go to kanaskis, the lourette has lotsa water and kid is a nice course.