PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys tell me about bicycles?

buh_buh
06-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm looking into getting a cheapo vintage bike just to ride some trails, but I have no idea what to look for or how much bikes are worth. I've found a couple on kijiji, but aren't sure how much they're actually worth. Is there anything in particular I should look for when buying an older bike, or any bike in general? I've been trying to find an unwanted one at garage sales, but no dice. I'd prefer to spend under $100 if possible.

I don't really even know what type of bike this is, but I guess I'm looking for the type with the thin frame and skinny tires and these style handle bars. Here's a general idea of what I'm looking for.

http://www.mariposabicycles.com/images/1972parisroubaix/MVC00040.jpg

GTS Jeff
06-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Haha mainlander bike...

mazdavirgin
06-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh I'm looking into getting a cheapo vintage bike just to ride some trails, but I have no idea what to look for or how much bikes are worth.

You are going to ride trails with skinny tires like that? You might have a death wish :\ Really any bike worth buying is going to be over 100$. Otherwise it's going to be a piece of crap that hasn't been maintained or is falling apart. Bike maintenance is not exactly cheap and neither is replacing bike parts.

Those types of bikes are called road bikes. They are meant to only be used on the road/bike path. Their price varies from very expensive to worth next to nothing. Anyways if you are dead set on going cheap and buying some old junker I would at least make sure the brakes work and both of them actually clamp. Check the derailer to make sure the gears change with no hesitation or grinding noises. Check any of the derailer lines/brake lines to see if they are fraying. Put the bike upside down and spin the wheels. Check for any sideways wobbles when the wheels are spinning. Check for any play in the spokes. Any of those things could lead to some relatively pricy repairs if you were aiming on spending less than 100$.

zieg
06-08-2008, 02:11 AM
All you need to know: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2CTPLUcQAjk

buh_buh
06-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Yeah, road bikes. I've heard the name before, I just couldn't think of it. And by trails I meant bike paths (see? I'm a noob). I just don't want to spend too much before deciding whether this is a hobby worth spending my money on. Thanks for the tips mazdavirigin. Anything else I should look out for? How heavy should one of these be for me not to be working my ass off while others blow by me?

mazdavirgin
06-08-2008, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Anything else I should look out for? How heavy should one of these be for me not to be working my ass off while others blow by me?

Well you should decide if you actually want a road bike or if you want a all purpose bike. A road bike means you are pretty much stuck on the road/path. You really don't want to try to take one on dirt or grass.

Weight of the bike doesn't really matter to tell you the truth. The larger issue is usually the tire width which won't be a problem with a road bike since most of them have skinny tires. Since most people on the bike paths ride all purpose bikes you could easily blow past most people with little effort. The only issue you could have is a lack of lubrication in the drivetrain which would make your bike really squeaky and hard to move... Especially if you buy a bike that no one maintained.

Kritafo
06-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Road bikes aren't meant for trail or bike paths.

they are meant to be ridden on the pavement with no rocks with those skinny tires. You will kill yourself on gravel if you don't know what your doing. You won't want to to it on a path that has that red crap.

You want just a classic 10 speed.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:4WWYNCOs7moJ:calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-Apollo-10-Speed-W0QQAdIdZ54168738+10+speed+calgary&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

95EG6P
06-10-2008, 07:44 PM
That bike is a butterfly "Mariposa"

lol

Check the Mountain bike thread in sports. you might get better results there. :P