PDA

View Full Version : Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

D'z Nutz
06-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Now that the playoffs are done, let's keep track of next season's drafts/trades/news/etc here.

Ron Wilson may be headed to Toronto:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240031&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

and word has it San Jose's interested in John Tortorella.

kenny
06-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Rule changes approved for next year:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241045

Looks like there wont be any more crazy hits from players racing for the puck on an icing. The face off changes should make the powerplays more interesting and help the teams that suck at getting into the opposing zone on a powerplay.

---

The first change will be for Rule 76.2 on faceoffs, placing the first faceoff of a power play in the defending zone of the team that committed the foul.

Second, a change to Rule 81.1 on icing will state that, "Any contact between opposing players while pursuing the puck on an icing must be for the sole purpose of playing the puck and not for eliminating the opponent from playing the puck. Unnecessary or dangerous contact could result in penalties being assessed to the offending player."

The last change will be to Rule 85.5 on faceoff location, saying that if a puck is shot off the goal frame, goal post or crossbar, the subsequent faceoff will remain in the end zone where the puck went out of play.

silviafreek89
06-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I like what I hear so far...aren't 80% of pp goals off of the face-off??? Should be interesting!!

D'z Nutz
06-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Bwahah, nobody wants Emery:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=366460

OTTAWA (AP) -Ray Emery was placed on waivers Friday by the Ottawa Senators, who intend to buy out the goalie's contract if he isn't claimed by another team within two days.

<snip>

Murray said he attempted to trade Emery this week, but couldn't find anyone interested. "And I wasn't looking for much," Murray said.

95teetee
06-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by kenny
The first change will be for Rule 76.2 on faceoffs, placing the first faceoff of a power play in the defending zone of the team that committed the foul.

This is idiotic. There are rules set up for where a faceoff occurs after a play. Now they just fundamentally change it depending on a power play? Stupid.
Hey, Roger Goodell- how about a holding penalty anywhere on the field results in first and goal from the one? ...Didn't think you'd go for that.
Hey, David Stern- how about a charging foul results in the offending team being down a man for the next two minutes? ...Yeah, thought you'd nix that idea.
Hey Bud Selig- how about if a manager argues a call, the next play the batter uses a batting tee to set the ball on? ...hmmm, no can do?
Hey Gary Bettman, how about from now on a penalty means the offending team has their skates tied together, no sticks, the goalie has to take his mask off and everyone in the stadium aims laser pointers into his eyes? Sounds good? We'll implement it next season.

S13_Ryan
06-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by 95teetee

This is idiotic. There are rules set up for where a faceoff occurs after a play. Now they just fundamentally change it depending on a power play? Stupid.
Hey, Roger Goodell- how about a holding penalty anywhere on the field results in first and goal from the one? ...Didn't think you'd go for that.
Hey, David Stern- how about a charging foul results in the offending team being down a man for the next two minutes? ...Yeah, thought you'd nix that idea.
Hey Bud Selig- how about if a manager argues a call, the next play the batter uses a batting tee to set the ball on? ...hmmm, no can do?
Hey Gary Bettman, how about from now on a penalty means the offending team has their skates tied together, no sticks, the goalie has to take his mask off and everyone in the stadium aims laser pointers into his eyes? Sounds good? We'll implement it next season.

:rofl: :rofl:

silviafreek89
06-23-2008, 01:37 PM
95teetee for comissioner!!!

Tanguay goes to the Habs :poosie:

Sundin's up next although I think he'll stay with the hopeless Leafs...

Any news on Hossa??

Quizzes
06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
It'd be funny if Sundin stays... he'll screw the Leafs once again.
Don't know about Hossa going to MTL... he'll be commanding at least $7M per and Sundin can get around $5M. Add UFA Mark Streit (probably at least $3M) in there and they're over the cap.

silviafreek89
06-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes
It'd be funny if Sundin stays... he'll screw the Leafs once again.
Don't know about Hossa going to MTL... he'll be commanding at least $7M per and Sundin can get around $5M. Add UFA Mark Streit (probably at least $3M) in there and they're over the cap.

Yea he would fuck the Leafs and probaly wouldn't be a good fit since all the Hab vs Leaf hate...

For Hossa, I know he's not going Mtl, I was just wondering if anyone had news of him signing with Pitts or some other team...

Streit is definatly staying!!! He's awsome.

Quizzes
07-01-2008, 04:13 PM
I can't believe the money that's being thrown around today... Mike Commodore signed by the Blue Jackets... $18.75M for 5 years??!!
Brian Campbell signed by the Blackhawks... $56.8M for 8 years??!!
Mats Sundin offered by the Canucks... $20M for 2 years??!!
Jeff Finger signed by the Leafs... $3.5M/year for 4 years??!!

Team_Mclaren
07-01-2008, 04:15 PM
some fuck up signings indeel.. wow just wow.

i dont even know where to start.

Langs deal with the Flames for 4.25mill is a STREAL!!!!

silviafreek89
07-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Chicago is going to be pretty nasty this season...Cambell and Huet!!!

D'z Nutz
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM
:eek: Whoa, there's some crazy signings indeed

Quizzes
07-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by silviafreek89
Chicago is going to be pretty nasty this season...Cambell and Huet!!!

Everyone said that when they signed Havlat and Khabibulin!!!

rahulb13
07-02-2008, 01:35 AM
I'm glad tucker didn't end up in Calgary. Tampa looks pretty lethal, but we'll see how that goes. I wonder where Husselius is going to end up...Eklund says Pitts, but wtf does he know haha.

GenerationX
07-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Toronto is just brutal..sure sign a guy that has played 94 NHL games to a 14Mil contract..lol

And Cristobal Huet...just WOW hahaha

bobby_lu
07-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Canucks have been pretty innactive :(

On a positive note, nice to see Andrew Raycroft in Northwest division :D

Quizzes
07-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
Canucks have been pretty innactive :(

On a positive note, nice to see Andrew Raycroft in Northwest division :D

The inactive GMs are the smart ones, I think.
Don't wanna be blowing a load on semi-retired hockey players... wait... $10M offer... Sundin... nevermind.

Quizzes
07-02-2008, 09:48 AM

Streit is definatly staying!!! He's awsome.

...guess not. Dude's signed by the Islanders.

anarchy
07-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Am I the only one slightly confused with Washington's moves?

Huet was awesome for them last year, but instead they go after Theodore! Way to miss the playoffs again.

But then again, I guess Huet did get a pretty hefty contract at 5+ per, but for a starting goalie that ain't too bad. But Theodore?!!?

I'd rather take a chance on Emery.

Ajay
07-02-2008, 09:56 AM
I think Huet is a better goaltender than Theodore as well but since he is a better goaltender he received more money. Chicago is kind of stupid for having over 11 million wrapped up in two goalies.

It's going to take huge salaries for the owners to realize they're reverting back to their old ways. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another labor dispute. I mean c'mon......when Mike Commodore gets over 3 million a year you know you're spending money for the sake of spending money.

anarchy
07-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Ajay
I think Huet is a better goaltender than Theodore as well but since he is a better goaltender he received more money. Chicago is kind of stupid for having over 11 million wrapped up in two goalies.

It's going to take huge salaries for the owners to realize they're reverting back to their old ways. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another labor dispute. I mean c'mon......when Mike Commodore gets over 3 million a year you know you're spending money for the sake of spending money.

Actually I just checked the TSN signings tracker.

Theodore - 9 mil/2 years = $4.5 mil/per
Huet - 16.875 mil/4 yeras = $4.22 mil/per
:eek:

What the fuck were they thinking? Jose had an OKAY season last year but sucked balls before that after his MVP season. How convenient he has a good season in his contract year. I can't believe this guy still manages to land a contract like that.

As for Chicago, they'll move Khabs for sure, they'll be a taker for him. I'd rather have Huet as well. But they are looking good, young talented forwards, throw in Huet and Campbell and you're looking like a playoff team.

I hate to admit it, but I was very impressed by Edmonton's moves. Picking up Cole was an awesome move, and I'd take Brule's potential over Torres. Visnovsky is a huge contract but giving up Stoll and Greene is worth that type of player.

Not sure if that's what they needed though. I would think they have enough offensive defencemen and they need a tough stay at home d-man like their ol' captain J-Smith.

88CRX
07-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by anarchy

Huet's contract is actually 5.625 per season for 4 years :eek:

AND.... Edmonton will still suck.

anarchy
07-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Huet's contract is actually 5.625 per season for 4 years :eek:

AND.... Edmonton will still suck.

Yeah that's weird cuz I remember when I first saw the announcement of his signing it was over 5.5mil/yr but the numbers on TSN work out to be 4.22 mil/yr

But yeah...that makes sense then, but still. Theodore?! lol

I hope we bring in a solid d-man to fill out our blue-line. Actually, come to think of it, J-Smith would look pretty good in a flames jersey :goflames:

bulaian
07-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Actually I just checked the TSN signings tracker.

THE CANADIAN PRESS

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Blackhawks signed goaltender Cristobal Huet to a US$22.5-million, four-year contract Tuesday.

He was dealt by the Montreal Canadiens to the Washington Capitals at the NHL trade deadline last season.

In 183 career NHL games, Huet is 83-61-24 with a 2.43 goals-against average, .918 save percentage and 17 shutouts. Huet went 32-14-6 with the Habs and Capitals last season.

The 32-year-old netminder will get $5.625 million a season with the Blackhawks. :dunno:

D'z Nutz
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Am I the only one slightly confused with Washington's moves?

Huet was awesome for them last year, but instead they go after Theodore! Way to miss the playoffs again.

But then again, I guess Huet did get a pretty hefty contract at 5+ per, but for a starting goalie that ain't too bad. But Theodore?!!?

I'd rather take a chance on Emery.

Yeah, the Caps were really putting all their eggs in one basket when they acquired Huet at the trade deadline:

1. acquired Huet and give him the starting position right off the bat
2. Caps continue to play Huet despite an average performance (at best) during the first round and lost
3. pissed off Kolzig and leaves
4. Huet leaves for free agnecy
5. Caps acquire Theodore and Raycroft

Quizzes
07-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I think it's more a case of Huet not wanting to sign with Washington. I'm sure Caps were willing to spend that kinda money on him knowing full well that Kolzig was gonna leave. Khabby will probably have to go... worst case scenario is he gets put on waivers and hope someone picks him up or have him play in the farm but still paying him that ridiculous amount of money.

BTW, Raycroft went to Colorado for $0.8M cheap... maybe Khabby goes to Colorado for a bag of pucks...??

Quizzes
07-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Holy Crikey!
Hossa signs with Detroit and Sundin is rumored to be tempted by them as well... at least they're playing for the glory of the Cup.

This Wings team does not slow down whatsoever.

SilverGS
07-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Edmonton is definitely looking much better and they don't seem to be done yet. If they get Jagr it could be an excellent year for them. Only thing is they are getting close to the cap already. Be interesting to see how they fit another big name in the cap.

If Glencross plays like he did last year it will add some good speed and an upgrade over Nilson at the same price.

Vandermeer getting 2.3/year

Jlude
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Jagr to Edmonton? No way. Him and Hemsky would be a deadly combo but who wants to play in that shit hole of a City? :dunno:

I'd imagine it'd be hard to get many big name players in Edmonton, and keep them there for exactly that reason. The city is a hole...

95teetee
07-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Jesus Christ there are some big contracts being handed out. ... Now 3.5 mil for Finger?! . not to mention 8 years for 56+ million for Brian Campbell (whoever the hell he is)

...and almost $4 million a year for Avery?!?

Hakkola
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by 95teetee
not to mention 8 years for 56+ million for Brian Campbell (whoever the hell he is)

:eek: You don't know Brian Campbell? Do you watch hockey?

Jlude
07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Huge money being thrown around.... 10mil a year from vancouver to Sundin?!?!

Edmonton offered Hossa 9mill a year... of course turned it down to have a real chance at winning a cup.

Moonracer
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

:eek: You don't know Brian Campbell? Do you watch hockey?

LMAO I guess not.

Quizzes
07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Brian "Spin-o-rama" Campbell??
Not sure why he signed in the West... he can only pull that shit against the Eastern teams.

silviafreek89
07-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Hossa in Detroit?? SHIIIIT!!!

Sundin will either go to the Habs or stay with the Leafs IMO

As for Streit...dammit, I liked that guy! Now we have Komi and Markov, Jorges and Hamrlik, Boullion and O'Byrne ... not bad!!

The Lightning have a nice crop of forwards but which goalie did they get??? Auld or something like that?!?!

anarchy
07-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Tbay got Kolzig.

And Raycroft went to Avs (to replace Theodore), not the Caps.
The first time I saw the headline on TSN, I thought it said Caps sign Theodore, Raycroft as well lol.

Man Detroit sounds scary with Zetts, Dats and now Hossa.

Quizzes
07-03-2008, 08:28 AM

Man Detroit sounds scary with Zetts, Dats and now Hossa.

Don't forget Lidstrom and Rafalski at the point. That's one helluva powerplay!! Holmstrom will probably stay with the first PP unit.

silviafreek89
07-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Why the hell did the habs give Grabovski to the Leafs for a D-man and a 2010 pick:dunno: That guy has potential!!!!

Can't wait to see Tanguay in action with Kovi:clap:

Detroit vs Montreal for the cup ... you heard it here first lol

DJ_NAV
07-03-2008, 02:12 PM
laraque signed with montreal too now.. 3 year deal for only $4.5 mil... thats a steal!

silviafreek89
07-03-2008, 02:18 PM
R U SERIOUS!?!?!?!?!?

wow, I cannot wait until next season....t'is going to be crazy!!!

Hakkola
07-03-2008, 02:32 PM

As for Streit...dammit, I liked that guy! Now we have Komi and Markov, Jorges and Hamrlik, Boullion and O'Byrne ... not bad!!

Montreal needs a Selanne calibre player to play beside Koivu. Selanne would be a great choice. :)

PENS add Satan and Fedotenko. As much as I hate Satan, he is a fantastic player, if he plays like he used to.

Machi
07-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Montreal signs Laraque 3yrs/4.5m

Rangers sign Naslund..

md14
07-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Looks like Tavares is in the Cancucks future...? :dunno:

silviafreek89
07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Seems Montreal is going for the French Connection lol

Laraque is a power forward correct??? 4th liner fo-sho...
This means 3 #1 lines with the 4th being desctructive and annoying as usual with Lapierre and company :poosie:

Quizzes
07-03-2008, 03:13 PM
LOL @ Canucks waiting for Sundin. I love it!!
Not to worry, they got Darcy Hordichuk.

Quizzes
07-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Seems Montreal is going for the French Connection lol

Laraque is a power forward correct??? 4th liner fo-sho...
This means 3 #1 lines with the 4th being desctructive and annoying as usual with Lapierre and company :poosie:

umm... I wouldn't exactly label him a "power forward". He's more like an "enforcer who can occasionally score". Good pickup though, wished he came to Calgary though.

silviafreek89
07-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Interesting...He's good on the boards though!!!

It'll be fun to see what Carbo does with all these players. Last camp he had too many to choose from, imagine this camp:eek:

Machi
07-03-2008, 03:54 PM
San Jose signs Rob Blake.. apparently 1yr/$5m

silviafreek89
07-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Montreal needs a Selanne calibre player to play beside Koivu. Selanne would be a great choice. :)

I think with the addition on Tangs and all the youngins who are trying-out this season the lines will be full! No room for Sundin lol jks...

Selanne would be a great choice but I doubt he would want to play/live in Mtl...

S13_Ryan
07-03-2008, 04:34 PM
holy shit so many big names being moved around this season.:eek:

DelSoln
07-03-2008, 05:43 PM

Nope. Scoring isn't really an issue especially during the regular season. Koivu will most likely be playing with Tanguay and Higgins while they will keep the same top line of A Kostitsyn, Plekanec, and Kovalev.

I think with the addition on Tangs and all the youngins who are trying-out this season the lines will be full! No room for Sundin lol jks...

I hope they don't get Sundin. He will only delay the growth of Plekanec. Hopefully Gainey gets a big stay at home defenceman. With the exception of Komisarek and to a lesser extent, Hamrlik, they aren't intimidating on the back end. It was painful to watch a physical team like the Flyers wear out their defence come playoff time.

silviafreek89
07-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln

I hope they don't get Sundin. He will only delay the growth of Plekanec. ... It was painful to watch a physical team like the Flyers wear out their defence come playoff time.

True-say...Pleky is going to kick ass this season.

As for Philly, their much more physical but it didn't help that the Bruins held us to game 7 before realizing they suck monkey balls.
O'Byrne needs to learn how to hit and cause some damage in doing so!!!

toyboy88
07-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Machi
Montreal signs Laraque 3yrs/4.5m

Rangers sign Naslund..

:werd: ...see how Naslund does out east after 12 years in Van.

Hakkola
07-03-2008, 06:13 PM

Nope. Scoring isn't really an issue especially during the regular season. Koivu will most likely be playing with Tanguay and Higgins while they will keep the same top line of A Kostitsyn, Plekanec, and Kovalev.

I didn't mean to insinuate that Montreal needs him for scoring, I mean that Koivu could use someone like that to play with, it is such a waste of talent otherwise. Whenever Koivu plays with someone who can really score he racks up the points, look at all the international games Koivu has played and look at his point totals in comparison to NHL play.

He averages over a point per game in international games, and while he has had some great seasons, he has never really reached that level in the NHL.

Selanne has said that he would love to play with Koivu, I could see him going to Montreal for a year.

DelSoln
07-03-2008, 06:17 PM

I didn't mean to insinuate that Montreal needs him for scoring, I mean that Koivu could use someone like that to play with, it is such a waste of talent otherwise. Whenever Koivu plays with someone who can really score he racks up the points, look at all the international games Koivu has played and look at his point totals in comparison to NHL play.

He averages over a point per game in international games, and while he has had some great seasons, he has never really reached that level in the NHL.

Selanne has said that he would love to play with Koivu, I could see him going to Montreal for a year.

Oh I agree entirely. When they play together for Finland they are a great duo. We will just have to wait and see if he can do the same with Tanguay. Either way I still would rather have Gainey spend the money on a defenceman. They already have 6 top forwards.

silviafreek89
07-03-2008, 06:56 PM

Either way I still would rather have Gainey spend the money on a defenceman.

I agree.

When do the camps start???

Quizzes
07-03-2008, 09:57 PM

Oh I agree entirely. When they play together for Finland they are a great duo. We will just have to wait and see if he can do the same with Tanguay. Either way I still would rather have Gainey spend the money on a defenceman. They already have 6 top forwards.

We all know Tanguay ain't the type to shoot the puck. They do need a pure sniper to play with those two... Selanne would be ideal though but he has a love affair with Anaheim.

md14
07-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Jagr goes across the pond to play in Russia.. something along the lines of 35 million over 2 years?

silviafreek89
07-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Jagr's a money slut....

Hossa is the smart one!!!

Quizzes
07-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Jagr's a money slut....

Hossa is the smart one!!!

Jagr doesn't NEED a Stanley Cup. He's established himself as one of, if not, THE best European to ever play in the NHL. He can do whatever he wants... besides, Russia's paying him twice the money any NHL team is willing to commit to. I don't blame him one bit.

silviafreek89
07-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Ya but he doesn't NEED the money either...I'd say 75% of the NHL players don't NEED the money.
Ex:
You play hockey as a kid and dream of what? Signing a 20mil$ contract to play with some random team or dream of hoisting the cup like all your childhood idols:dunno:

Either way, NY has Naslund now. The Jagr era is over :cry: :cry: :cry:

GO HABS GO:clap:

bobby_lu
07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Canucks sign Pavol Demitra.

Im indifferent on this one, but the points have to come from somewhere.

mac_82
07-10-2008, 12:48 PM
You play hockey as a kid and dream of what? Signing a 20mil$ contract to play with some random team or dream of hoisting the cup like all your childhood idols:dunno:

Luckily he now has done both. :rolleyes:

The_Rural_Juror
07-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Welcome Back Noodles! (http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=33b32bb6-5a75-486e-bf12-e6387d9a9a4d)

silviafreek89
07-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by mac_82

Luckily he now has done both. :rolleyes:

One of the few!!
Anyone read how "upset" he was to leave the NHL??? He seemed pretty emotional lol.

Eleanor
07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Welcome Back Noodles! (http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=33b32bb6-5a75-486e-bf12-e6387d9a9a4d)

Yay!

I always liked McLennan

D'z Nutz
07-10-2008, 03:01 PM
cool! So one goalie back from Russia and one gets sent there! Bwahaha!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242925&lid=sublink02&lpos=headlines_nhl

Ray Emery has decided to take his show on the road.

The former Ottawa Senator netminder has agreed to a one-year deal with Atlant Mytishchi of the new Russian Continental Hockey League. The deal is reportedly worth in excess of $2 million plus bonuses.

"Unfortunately, it's only been a short time since the buyout and there isn't anybody willing to give (Emery) a second chance at this time," said Emery's agent J.P. Barry to the Sun Media. "I think if people knew the things that he's done over the last little while to turn the corner, there might be more interest out there.

According to Barry, Emery had hoped to play in the NHL next season, but received just three calls.

z24_wheels
07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh yay. McLennan can scout for talent that is most likely to lose his cool in a third period and two-hand hack an opposing player.

D'z Nutz
07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Is anyone getting a kick out of this Burke/Lowe feud that's been a little active as of late? Haha

Quizzes
07-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Is anyone getting a kick out of this Burke/Lowe feud that's been a little active as of late? Haha

I love it! To me, Burke is the more competent GM while Lowe is stuck in a rut of a city where it can't attract any UFAs. I'm totally siding with Burke on this one cuz Lowe did jack up the prices for RFAs by a crazy amount. Sure, it's within the rulebooks, but it skews the market and ultimately affects all teams.
I also love what St. Louis did to Vancouver with the whole Backes-Bernier offer sheets. St. Louis only offered a 1-year term, so we can go back to this situation next year. Nice... Two can play that game.

toyboy88
07-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Lecavalier re-signs 11 years for $85 million! :nut:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243275&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

D'z Nutz
07-12-2008, 11:36 PM
That's fucken insane! :eek:

D'z Nutz
08-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Looks like Sakic's back for another year :thumbsup:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=380576

DENVER (AP) -Patience paid off for the Colorado Avalanche, who signed Joe Sakic to a one-year, $6 million contract Wednesday after he decided to play a 20th season in the NHL rather than call it a career.

"Ultimately it came down to the fact that I still enjoy playing and competing," the 39-year-old captain said in a statement released by the team. "I'm comfortable with my conditioning and my overall health. I'm ready for the start of camp and am looking forward to the upcoming season."

Machi
08-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Looks like Sakic's back for another year :thumbsup:
Watching Sakic play another season is :thumbsup: but too bad he's a Flames killer! :banghead: :goflames:

Quizzes
09-30-2008, 01:26 PM
LOL @ Canucks naming Luongo as captain ---> Luongo as new Canucks captain LINK (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251272&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl)

D'z Nutz
09-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes
LOL @ Canucks naming Luongo as captain ---&gt; Luongo as new Canucks captain LINK (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251272&amp;lid=headline&amp;lpos=topStory_nhl)

Okay, I like Luongo, but that's stupid.

toyboy88
09-30-2008, 02:47 PM
LOL @ Luongo being named Captain.

Can't wear the C, can't talk to the refs...what for?

Lack in "support" for Mitchell/Kesler/Ohlund I guess?

Machi
09-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
LOL @ Luongo being named Captain.

Can't wear the C, can't talk to the refs...what for?

Lack in &quot;support&quot; for Mitchell/Kesler/Ohlund I guess?

I think they're doing it just so Luongo will sign an extension! :dunno:

Kavy
09-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Machi

I think they're doing it just so Luongo will sign an extension! :dunno:

Maybe they thought if they did this the captain would stay on the sinking ship.

Quizzes
09-30-2008, 03:10 PM
"There's no such thing as bad press" --- Vancouver Canucks 2008 motto.

toyboy88
10-11-2008, 01:02 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=252315&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

Kings sign Kopitar to 7 year/47.6 million deal.

hks
10-13-2008, 03:11 PM
rangers prospect, Alexei Cherepanov dies at age 19.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=252547&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main (http://)

horrible news.

dezmarez
10-13-2008, 03:31 PM
link doesnt work for me but here is another one

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AgWG7BafQv1XYo3DPUyVI8F7vLYF?slug=txrangersprospectdies&prov=st&type=lgns

rip

Casa
10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
thats tragic :(

mac_82
10-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Very sad news. I can still remember hoping the Flames were going to scoop him up when he kept falling. If only Sutter hadn't of traded down.

This kid had a huge future, in his rookie year in the Russian league he beat Pavel Bure's goal scoring record. Also had more points that Ovech, Malkin, and Kovalchuk did in their rookie years.

01RedDX
10-13-2008, 08:38 PM

dezmarez
10-14-2008, 12:26 PM
was he the one that was supposed to go number one but becasue of the transfer problems he fell so far down in the draft??
speaks really good english?

mac_82
10-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez
was he the one that was supposed to go number one but becasue of the transfer problems he fell so far down in the draft??
speaks really good english?

He was top 5 if a Russian transfer agreement was in place.

Machi
10-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Blackhawks fire coach Denis Savard... Joel Quenneville chosen as his replacement..

Quizzes
10-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Bizarre move... Thought Savard was doing great things with his young talent. Quenneville is a better, more experienced coach but I don't see a reason why they decide to fire him after 4 games into the season and not before it started.

malcolmk14
10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Alright guys I have a theory that I've been trying to validate with friends and they keep shooting me down without really considering my position. I'm not sure why, but I thought I'd bring it here to see what the great hockey minds at beyond think.

I've been saying since April that if I were going to build a team to win the Stanley Cup THIS season, and I had the first overall draft choice, I'd pick Joe Thornton ahead of anyone else in the league.

My friends keep telling me I'm certifiably insane to skip over Ovechkin, Crosby, etc., but I don't think I am.

First off, Thornton has been incredibly consistent, missing zero games since the lockout.

Secondly, he leads the NHL in points in that time frame also, with 335 compared to Ovechkins 310 and Crosbys 294. I realize Crosby missed a few games due to injury last season, but if you compare their points per game, Crosby sits at 1.38 while Thornton sits at 1.37.

Third off, Thornton is 29 years old, so that gives him some more experience than Ovechkin and Crosby at 23 and 21 respectively.

Fourth of all, Thornton doesn't have another elite player on his team to help him get points like Crosby does with Malkin. It's well-known that the more elite players on a team, the easier it is to get points. Case in point is the Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson line in Ottawa. Given that, Ovechkin doesn't have anybody good on his team either.

Finally, no team in the NHL has won more playoff games in the last four seasons than San Jose other than the Red Wings. The only thing is, San Jose has fallen short of the Stanley Cup Finals each year.

So in conclusion, I think I would put Thornton slightly ahead of Crosby based on his leadership and experience. Ovechkin is a better goal scorer and is much younger, but with a playmaker you can find people to score goals. Thornton turned Cheechoo into a 56 goal scorer in 2005-06.

If I were drafting for long-term success, I would obviously choose somebody else first, but the argument was if I was drafting to win a Stanley Cup in one year.

What do you guys think? Am I out of my mind? Why doesn't Joe Thornton get the respect he deserves? Is it because he plays in a terrible hockey market? Would he be much more respected if he played for a Canadian or big-market American team?

max_boost
10-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Because Big Joe is notoriously soft come playoff time. Not a big game player!!

Quizzes
10-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Because Big Joe is notoriously soft come playoff time. Not a big game player!!

I concur. Big Joe doesn't have the same drive and leadership as the two aforementioned youngsters. Points in the regular season is much different than points in the playoffs.

If I were to build a Stanley Cup team THIS year... I'd go for an elite goalie. They're the ones who'll carry you through the playoffs. If it's a player, I'd go with Ovechkin.

88CRX
10-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by malcolmk14

What do you guys think? Am I out of my mind? Why doesn't Joe Thornton get the respect he deserves? Is it because he plays in a terrible hockey market? Would he be much more respected if he played for a Canadian or big-market American team?

Your out to lunch dude haha.

I think you'd have to be completely crazy to not choose Sidney Crosby as your 'skater' to build your team around (goalies are a whole other discussion). Like other's have said Thornton has done virtually nothing in the playoffs other the ride Nabokov through several playoff series these last seasons. He's a softer player and is not even close to playing as physical of a game as Iginla/Ovechkin/Lecavalier type. If you watch him on the ice quite often he floats around like he's completely lost. Playmakers don't win cups, goal scoring game breaker players do and Thornton is not the later.

bobby_lu
10-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Anyone see Mike Commodore's Money shot?:rofl:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r257/bobby_lu/mikecommodoremoney2.jpg

D'z Nutz
10-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Hahaha, where the fuck is that from?

bobby_lu
10-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Just leaked on to the internet today, apparently from when he was playing with Carolina.

Here's the story:
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=ddac8799-6d88-4119-a57e-44f9fbdd0631

Casa
10-28-2008, 08:12 AM
The Leafs are a very young, very fast team. its exciting :)

max_boost
11-04-2008, 11:25 AM
^^^

They won't be able to keep this up though. They will finish bottom 5 in the league. Not even Toskala came save them lol