PDA

View Full Version : People here need to learn how to drive!

Thaco
06-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I don't have a specific story to tell here, but for the pst 2 weeks i've been in so. cal (LA/Anaheim area) and shit those people know how to drive compared to people here, everything is fast and predictable, you know what everybody is going to do before they do it, it's GREAT and they know the size of their vehicles, if they see a spot, and they need it, they take it, they don't sit there forever with their signal light on because you didn't give them 3 school bus lengths to get in... merge lanes are actually 50/50, how they are supposed to be, but here it's more like the merger fends for themselves, people move over for mergers, mergers actually do merging speeds to merge...

I LOVED driving down there.

short story, half of Calgary's traffic problems are the damn drivers, not the infrastructure.

max_boost
06-08-2008, 11:23 AM
WTF is with your user title?

CivicDXR
06-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/219930/whats-wrong-with-this-picture/

I LOL everytime I read his user title...

OP: yes, you're right, I've driven down there as well, and everyone knows what they're doing on the road. Everyone has the same understanding and mindset, i love driving over there. Its the small town mentality to driving down here thats causing the issue. The population has blown up, but the driver adjustments haven't compensated...

403Gemini
06-08-2008, 11:44 AM
As bad as traffic LOOKS down in southern california, the fact is its ALWAYS moving. There may be cars everywhere, but as Thaco said - people know what they're doing. Somehow on deerfoot, a road without lights, there is dead still traffic.

dj_rice
06-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

anhsicun
06-08-2008, 11:51 AM
its like toronto no one gonna give u 2 -3 lengths to merge in, i know on deerfoot in the morring driving from country hill passing 64 is nasty people are merging so slow making it stand stull trffic

ZyaL8R
06-08-2008, 12:46 PM
This is so true, I can slow down to let some idiot in and he'll just sit there with his damn blinker on, shoulder checking and glaring at me. Meanwhile there's literally enough space to fit 3 cars infront of me.

I just start laughing and have to actually pull ahead of the guy. If you arent competent enough to change lanes without a MASSIVE SPACE then I dont want you infront of me.

*Edit* also what the fuck is up with everyone trying to race this past week? Driving home in rush hour and Ive got civics, ford focussssseses, grand prixs... every imaginable rusted out shitbox you could think of trying to pull on me at a light in the middle of downtown. Fucking idiots.

Jlude
06-08-2008, 12:57 PM
you're right, every street is fast and predictable...

most streets are 45mph....

and when you get on the freeway, 65mph is just a minimum.
Everyone does at LEAST 70-75... and the excuse "keeping with the flow of traffic" applies. I've seen days where everyone is doing 80-85 and cops are right alongside you...

It's glorious!!!

ahmadg
06-15-2008, 07:59 PM
its the speed limits here that are fuking shit up

hadookin
06-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by ahmadg
its the speed limits here that are fuking shit up

ya! fucking parking stalls

EK 2.0
06-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

are YOU laughing at a user title??

pyroza
06-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Once you've driven down here for awhile you realize that it's not all that great. Every city has its share of bad drivers. Be sure to not try driving on the 405, 110, or any other major freeway down here when it rains :banghead:

euro_racer
06-16-2008, 09:33 AM
i would never have complained about the driving here, but ever after i was driving on european roads for a month (took a day to adjust) this driving over here is complete garbadge and actually kinda dangerous if you ask me... (took me longer to re-adjust to the driving habbits here then in a foreign continent i never drove in)

over there speed limits are higher and roads smaller but drivers know how to drive and are organized be being aware of simple rules such as the fast lane etc...

here is an example i took a picture while in Belgrade Serbia. drivers going both directions are aware of the passing and are driving on the shoulder to create a 3rd passing lane.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/karnaibsg/n735625789_3214776_7009.jpg

SilverGS
06-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by euro_racer
i would never have complained about the driving here, but ever after i was driving on european roads for a month (took a day to adjust) this driving over here is complete garbadge and actually kinda dangerous if you ask me... (took me longer to re-adjust to the driving habbits here then in a foreign continent i never drove in)

over there speed limits are higher and roads smaller but drivers know how to drive and are organized be being aware of simple rules such as the fast lane etc...

here is an example i took a picture while in Belgrade Serbia. drivers going both directions are aware of the passing and are driving on the shoulder to create a 3rd passing lane.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/karnaibsg/n735625789_3214776_7009.jpg

:thumbsup: Completely agree. Was over in Europe on a tour and the majority of people follow these rules. I was in Greece and at one point 4 cars were side by side on a 1 way each way high way. 2 passing and 2 on the shoulder to give room for the pass and it felt much safer than driving downtown here.

Thaco
06-16-2008, 10:09 AM
yeah, I've seen (but never experienced) euro driving, and it seems a lot more efficient and better, but i was just comparing LA to Calgary... not saying LA is flawless, just saying it's leaps and bounds above Calgary

heavyD
06-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
I don't have a specific story to tell here, but for the pst 2 weeks i've been in so. cal (LA/Anaheim area) and shit those people know how to drive compared to people here, everything is fast and predictable, you know what everybody is going to do before they do it, it's GREAT and they know the size of their vehicles, if they see a spot, and they need it, they take it, they don't sit there forever with their signal light on because you didn't give them 3 school bus lengths to get in... merge lanes are actually 50/50, how they are supposed to be, but here it's more like the merger fends for themselves, people move over for mergers, mergers actually do merging speeds to merge...

I LOVED driving down there.

short story, half of Calgary's traffic problems are the damn drivers, not the infrastructure.

That's why I've been saying for years that Calgary is home to the worst drivers in Canada. Someone will always say "You haven't been to Toronto or Montreal". I have and once you get accustomed to the pace you realize that drivers there actually know what they are doing unlike here where it seems like half of the drivers have no concept of preparing for their turn off or how to merge. You have people that stay in the far laft lane on deerfoot only to realize that they need to hit the coming onramp. They quickly cut off traffic crossing the three lanes at the last minute to make the turnoff. This causes major slowdown on deerfoot and many of the rear end accidents. Worst part is these people take the same route daily and it never dawns on them to prepare and be in the far right lane ahead of time as they are too busy on their cell phone or just plain old oblivious to what they are doing.

Jay911
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I spent a week in Vegas on a business trip and rented a car for half of that. I drove on downtown Vegas streets, on the strip, on interstates and on country roads right down to middle of nowhere roads in the desert between NV and CA. It was all a pleasure to drive because everyone drives like they have a clue AND they have a goal. Instead of here where people forget why they're on the road (to GET someplace) and start making it their purpose in life to prevent you from getting anywhere instead.

We should bring in metered ramps like they have on I-215 too, IMO.

Godfuader
06-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Finally, someone agrees with me. I absolutely hate drivers in Calgary. Everyday going to work is like a moving slalom course...and thats just to hit the speed limit!!

Americans drive much faster and that makes them safer drivers. This is because when the general flow of traffic is faster, everyone pays attention to their driving. Key piss-offs:
1) Drivers who keep 10 under the speed limit at all times, regardless of traffic flow.
2) Slow drivers who get into left lane to turn...2 intersections before they need to.
3) People who do not understand the concept of merging.
4) Drivers on their cell-phones who are clueless about the traffic around them
5) Drivers that eat or are distracted by things that should not be done while driving. Women who apply make-up (see this every morning) should be pushed off the side of the road. :guns:

Spoons
06-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Does Cali still allow lane spliting as well?

I know I will raise a shit storm for this one, but I was there a couple years back on a motorcycle, and followed a few people who were lane spliting, and sure some elements are dangerous but once I got ahead I felt a lot more safer, and also cut a lot of time off my trip.

About merging, I have been in 10 acciedents on one road when I owned my old piece of crap boat while merging, I think most of you know. The right turn off of Harvest Hills Blvd onto Country Hill Blvd. It is a merge there, yet good luck having someone treating it like a merge. Yet I owned a piece of crap car, and also sped up, used it as a merge. I would be going the proper speed to merge, yet sometimes I would get some asshole plow into the back of me. He would get out of his car yelling asking me if I knew what a yield was, and I would reply if he knew what merge was pointing at the sign.

Now that I have a little bit of a nicer car, I don't do it, so I am forced to treat it like a yield. Calgary driving is not about courtesy anymore. No one lets you in anymore, you have to force your way in.

Impreza02
07-31-2008, 11:36 PM
thank god ..... i though i was an asshole for wanting to do at least the speed limit , today i went to chinook then over to the NW and seriously 75% of the time ppl were doing 10 below the speed limit at couple of points 30 and 40 wtf ppl speed limit is 60.

ive driven in LA and i agree is awesome driving there ppl know what they are doing

rmk
07-31-2008, 11:39 PM
nice bump

yes this city sucks for drivers.

Kennyredline
08-01-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't have a lot of experience driving overseas, but it doesn't take much to see that drivers here are terrible. Everyday I see aggressive, impatient drivers, or people that don't turn when they are able to turn(eg. left turn from one-way to one-way).
There is simply not enough driver education(should be mandatory), or enforcement by police. Cops should be out looking for bad drivers, and ONLY doing that. Tickets should be given out for aggressive driving...this city would be soooo rich.

R!zz0
08-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by rmk
nice bump

yes this city sucks for drivers.

Big time. I was once driving on 16th west, and this guy in front of me jammed on his brakes for no reason. No cars infront of him, he had a clear straight empty road with no set of lights. It's freaky when you're doing 100/km and all of a sudden you jam on the brakes. :guns:

SilverBoost
08-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Hey folks, it's not illegal to use your signal before actually making the left turn in an intersection. :thumbsup:

It's a game I play now when I pull up to a red light. I'll peak out to see how many signal lights to turn left I see while it's red, and then compare that to how many I see after the light turns green.

EVEN THE NAME OF THE LIGHT TELLS YOU WHAT IT'S FOR FOR FUCK SAKES.

Indicator, Signal light, Turn signal, etc etc.... no matter how you refer to it, it's purpose is to let the people around you know what you're FUTURE intentions are, not your PRESENT ones.

Jlude
08-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

:rofl: :rofl: @ you :rofl: :rofl: @ him.