PDA

View Full Version : CanadaTrader, used GS-R

Ferio_vti
08-06-2002, 09:39 PM
Found a used GS-R, 1992, 130K, asking $9500
Couple things come to mind:
- Can't be a really GS-R, has steelies w/ Honda hubcaps.
- Odo must be clocked back some
- There's got to be something servely wrong with it...

Being I had nothing better to do today (left work early), I call the guy up and ask to see it. Head down to Midnapore the check things out.

The people that are selling the car, I'm not too sure who drove it, their kid, who looks about 16 or the parent(s).
First thing off, the hood is crooked off center, I'll guessing he hit something, no big deal. They had me the key to open the car and start it. The key was bent (okay?), and the key hole was all funked up too. Like someone jacked it at some point.

Start the car, this is where it goes down hill.
- the transmission was F*cked. You know the feel neutral should have when you wiggle it back and forth, should have a nice bounce back to center. Well this felt more like churning butter.
- The brakes were totally gone and the ABS light was on. I could floor the brake pedal without any resistance.
- the clutch was sticking and gears would pop.

I was tempted to just leave at that point without even driving it, but I thought I'd be nice and show some interest. Take it out for a spin, yah fart can muffler loudener tip works like a charm.
ABS, as indicated was not working. But at the same time, being that the brakes were like mush, it took a couple of tries to even lock the wheels.

First run I was going about 60-70km/h, slammed on the brake pedal, couldn't lock the wheels, ABS didn't kick in. Few more tries, finally lock the wheels, but that was til I was practically stopped.

Transmission was pretty clunky and worn.

Engine sounded okay. I didn't even get to noticing the Vtec, too busy messing with everything else. It probably would have been worth considering for an engine swap, but who know how may kms are really on it.

Either way, that thing was a mess. My bro's 90 GS is in far better condition, and we know its got over 200,000 on it. Really make you want to beat people who go out and ruin perfectly good cars. Especially, a GS-R

Ekliptix
08-06-2002, 09:59 PM
That sucks.
All I could find on canadatrader was this new model GSR:confused: http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?sid=18YSEDC11677945&rubno=4000&pa=1&pr=1

and this real one : http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?sid=18YSEDC11677945&rubno=4000&pa=3&pr=1

Ferio_vti
08-06-2002, 10:12 PM
Try searching as Integra Gs or integra Gs-r

Or try:
http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?sid=46ZMKBO8679182&rubno=4000&pa=1&pr=1

Funny, thought we couldn't link canadatrader...

Looks like this:

GTS Jeff
08-06-2002, 10:28 PM
Man, that's worse than one CRX that I test drove...

$4500, 160xxx km, 90 Si, no rust, no accidents...according to the seller.

The first thing I notice when I get there is the cheaply painted over rust around the rear wheel well. The car was parked about 2 inches from the wall on the driver side, so I look down that side...and I see massive bondo cracks. The fool thought parking really close to the wall would prevent me from noticing...wtf. The frame was also bent up from an accident (I could tell by the way the door closed and by the way the headlights didn't line up. When I asked him about that, he just kept saying that he had never been in an accident...right. Oh yea, it had rear drum brakes too so it wasn't a 90 CRX.

When I drove it, the alignment was off, the front tires had no grip because the tread was freaking melted from lots of burning out. And there was tons of body roll from the fucked up suspension. The tranny was weird, it wouldn't go into gear without being forced..So I was pissed off as hell when I test drove it...which led to some hard freaking launches, a few trips past redline, and some understeering action.

AND this sorry excuse of a CRX was riced out with a universal exhaust, some queer white mesh, and a cheapass painted interior.

Ferio_vti
08-06-2002, 10:37 PM
The GS-R was pretty stock, from what I cared to see.
They said there's a new suspension, to what degree I have no idea. Though I pesonally doubt it. Considering the more important things to repair, the suspension would be the last thing to replace.

I was ready to drift that thing, considering the 'new suspension' and shot brakes. Would have made for a fun drive, but I think the kid that came with me for the ride would have shit himself.

max_boost
08-06-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
Man, that's worse than one CRX that I test drove...

$4500, 160xxx km, 90 Si, no rust, no accidents...according to the seller.

The first thing I notice when I get there is the cheaply painted over rust around the rear wheel well. The car was parked about 2 inches from the wall on the driver side, so I look down that side...and I see massive bondo cracks. The fool thought parking really close to the wall would prevent me from noticing...wtf. The frame was also bent up from an accident (I could tell by the way the door closed and by the way the headlights didn't line up. When I asked him about that, he just kept saying that he had never been in an accident...right. Oh yea, it had rear drum brakes too so it wasn't a 90 CRX.

When I drove it, the alignment was off, the front tires had no grip because the tread was freaking melted from lots of burning out. And there was tons of body roll from the fucked up suspension. The tranny was weird, it wouldn't go into gear without being forced..So I was pissed off as hell when I test drove it...which led to some hard freaking launches, a few trips past redline, and some understeering action.

AND this sorry excuse of a CRX was riced out with a universal exhaust, some queer white mesh, and a cheapass painted interior.

Is it that hard to find a CRX? My buddy just bought a 88 CRX with 190K for $2900 in the autotrader.

D'z Nutz
08-06-2002, 10:47 PM
Is there even a 92 gsr??? I'm assuming the gsr would have a vtec engine, and I know the preludes didn't have vtec until 93.... (Of course, I could be wrong) :dunno:

GTS Jeff
08-06-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Is it that hard to find a CRX? My buddy just bought a 88 CRX with 190K for $2900 in the autotrader. I guess it is when you're as picky as I am...

Basically, it's hard to find one that isn't a total beater and doesn't cost 11k

Ferio_vti
08-06-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Is there even a 92 gsr??? I'm assuming the gsr would have a vtec engine, and I know the preludes didn't have vtec until 93.... (Of course, I could be wrong) :dunno:

That's what I thought too. Checked out MSN carpoint and GSR did exist in 92. Then again Civics had them in 92 also. But yah, Preludes got them in 93. Go fig??

HRD2PLZ
08-06-2002, 11:15 PM
Where in Midnapore? I live in Sundance and wouldn't mind going for a laugh or two...:rofl:

Everytime I sell one of my cars, I disclose everything that I have replaced (with receipts to prove it) and its always worked out in my favor so far. When I sold my Probe, I didn't know what kinda of work it needed. I was asking $8500, it turns out the car needed $3k worth of work. Since I was honest, the buyer and I went halves on repairs. I sold him the car for $7k and we were both happy :D

Why would you lie when selling a car? not everyone is as stupid as you would like them to be...:nut:

Ferio_vti
08-06-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
Where in Midnapore? I live in Sundance and wouldn't mind going for a laugh or two...:rofl:

Do that and write up another review on it. :)

92 Teg-B18A
08-06-2002, 11:30 PM
yeah, th Integra was the first H ride In North America to have VTEC which incidentally came over in '92. Too bad about that 92 GSR it's such a rare car as it is. To find one that has been screwed over is a crime almost in my books

Ferio_vti
08-06-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by 92 Teg-B18A
yeah, th Integra was the first H ride In North America to have VTEC which incidentally came over in '92. Too bad about that 92 GSR it's such a rare car as it is. To find one that has been screwed over is a crime almost in my books

Word!! I was so choked that its was so F*cked up.

HRD2PLZ
08-06-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Do that and write up another review on it. :)

If you only knew how picky I am when it comes to cars...my friends HATE car shopping with me...:D

Ferio_vti
08-06-2002, 11:44 PM
Hehe, go nutz. I kept my review pretty brief. Then again, I didn't care to be in the GS-R for long, considering the shity condition it was in.

Or just save it for a beyond meet and we can trade stories.

Ben
08-06-2002, 11:58 PM
I would be hesitant from buying a car off a guy who thinks he knows all that and yet he spells VTEC "V-Tech" in his add...

Ferio_vti
08-07-2002, 12:02 AM
Or slapping a big V-tech sticker on his car for that matter.

B17a
08-07-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by 92 Teg-B18A

Word up to that! B17A all the way! It brings a tear to my eye to hear of such mistreatment of this wonderful car.:madred:

jaylo
08-07-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

yup there's 92-93 DA body style gs-r's. It's very rare, rarer then ITR's and it has a B17A w/c is a B16A w/ a crankshaft lengthed by 4mm more.