PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting a car

Redlyne_mr2
08-25-2003, 12:02 AM
Im about to begin another project...Im wondering who in town sandblasts car and for how much. Ive got maybe 10 smaller areas on the car that need blasting...any recomendations thanks

Davetronz
08-25-2003, 12:06 AM
Go to autobahn, instead of sandblasting, they "Plasti-Blast". It is around the same price, but the plastic that they blast (almost like rubber) manages to strip down to the metal, but doesnt "pit" the metal like conventional sand blasting.
They did the Crapmaro for me and I really liked their work. However the rest of the paint process at another company I did not care for.

David

T5Bird
08-25-2003, 07:03 AM
Yep plastic blasting is safest, no pitting or warpage. Or you can go to Consolidated and do it yourself if your on a budjet, just be careful.:burnout:

AutodreamMarvin
08-25-2003, 07:39 AM
ahh shit, sorry dude. i have a sandblaster you can use if you have an air compressor. i'll lend it to you if you promise to give it back. haha.

hjr
08-25-2003, 02:40 PM
media blasting i thought it was called? Anywho, media(plasti) blasting can only do soo much. If you have areas where the rust is through the metal in a larger way, then silica sand is better for knocking off the rotted metal.

ninspeed
08-25-2003, 08:30 PM
Consolidated compressor on 42st and a block south of 90th ave SE. 68$/ hour for sand blasting and 52 or 58$ for glass bead blasting. they are really cool people there, and will me more than willing to show you how to do stuff properly. They supply you with gloves, ear plus and a huge head/upper body cover... make sure you wear coveralls though :D

T5Bird
08-25-2003, 08:39 PM
And prepare to pick sand out of crevices you never even knew existed for a week.:D ;)

ecstasy_civic
08-25-2003, 08:46 PM
how long does it take on average??

ninspeed
08-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by T5Bird
And prepare to pick sand out of crevices you never even knew existed for a week.:D ;)

weird... i have never had a problem with that, and i have been there quite a few times.... coveralls and boots :D

Redlyne_mr2
08-25-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
how long does it take on average??
Yes how long should I budget for Ive got surface about 2.5metersX3 inches worth or surface rust(rough estimate of total rust) on the car.