PDA

View Full Version : GPS Snitch Tracking And Security

HuMz
06-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Just wondering if anyone has purchased or heard of any opinions about this new product,

Heres a link where I found it on the futureshop website,
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10100655&catid=14503&logon=&langid=EN#

Assuming it works as they advertise than $400 is a small price to pay vs the hassle of having your car stolen. (I know because ive had mine stolen once)

GQBalla
06-08-2008, 07:24 PM
i heard lo jack is good its also a gps tracking system.

ive never actually heard about this but if it works the same way than sounds pretty good im goin to research this.

black13
06-08-2008, 07:35 PM
you can get some cheaper ones on ebay
ebay link (http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=gps+tracking&category0=)

Pretty good investment I'd say. Although I'm personally more worried about getting my deck stolen.

shirshamshir
06-08-2008, 08:16 PM
arent there stickers that have something in them?
mostly used for laptops and stuff, you stick it on and through a website you can track where it is

but im guessing its not good enough for cars

DelSoln
06-08-2008, 10:56 PM

Stunt66
06-09-2008, 09:18 AM
If it does work it would definately be a good investment, especially if you've got a rare car that can't be easily replaced.
Shit you can even use this on your girl if you think she's banging some one else.

Rollie
06-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Thinking of putting in a gps tracking system in my car after this weekend. ughhh such a headache dealing with all the BS of a stolen car.

johnnycqle
08-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Does anyone have the device? I was just wondering if you put it in your door panel and someone enters your car would it send you an alert? I read a bit about the device but didn't really get a clear answer. I know that only when the device is moved (ie. someone jacking your car) would it send you a text or email, so is opening the door be enough movement for a signal?

Destinova403
08-17-2008, 12:41 AM
just a question about that snitch thing... since its wireless... wouldnt you need to take it out of your car every night to charge it? because if you leave it plugged in to the cars cig lighter the thief will just find it and turn it off?

johnnycqle
08-17-2008, 12:48 AM
From what i've gathered, the battery lasts 5 - 7 days and it takes 5 hrs for a full charge. So just charge it every few days when you have the time. You also have the option to buy a hardwiring kit that wires to the car battery directly, I think it goes for $15. However it's not a one time purchase, it's sort of like a cell where you purchase "credits/mnt" but i didn't really read up on that. There is also the one time activation fee of $30 so it can really rack up. I guess it's a price you'd pay for piece of mind.

tm88
08-17-2008, 02:47 AM
wow like this idea,
especially if you can find a sticker version...
stick one on the rims and deck. then also be able to track your car.

And if you really didnt trust the wife or gf, drop one in her purse haha.
JK:rolleyes:

97'Scort
08-17-2008, 03:11 AM
LoJack isn't available in Canada. There are several options for in-car GPS tracking available: Clarion makes one (it's not very good yet) and Compustar makes on (Computrack) that IS pretty good.

You're better off getting one that's integrated into the car than the Snitch, although the Snitch is better than nothing, just more work. A good installer, however, will install an integrated system so a thief will never find it.

The "sticker" items you speak of are PASSIVE RFID tags. They only work if there's an RFID network set up to detect them (such as at a toll booth). But these are not in wide use, yet, as the infrastructure isn't there.

4DoorGTZ
08-25-2008, 01:06 PM
A co-worker has this installed on his quads (works in the oilpatch) and he gets an email everytime his girlfriend bumps them in the garage.... Motion sensor arms it, then if it leaves a perimiter it starts tracking. So far he's very happy with it. Of course like most he got this AFTER having equipment stolen.

bituerbo
08-25-2008, 02:28 PM
You can do it for 10% of that cost with a DIY solution: http://www.instamapper.com/diy.html

The instamapper website is free, just requires sign-up.
You can track with any GPS enabled cell-phone, the $40 one is the cheapest, and just get a 2nd line enabled on your cellular account as a family plan, can cost $5-$10 a month extra depending on who you're with.

DelSoln
08-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by johnnycqle
Does anyone have the device? I was just wondering if you put it in your door panel and someone enters your car would it send you an alert? I read a bit about the device but didn't really get a clear answer. I know that only when the device is moved (ie. someone jacking your car) would it send you a text or email, so is opening the door be enough movement for a signal?

I had the Computrack system on my previous car. It sends out a text message for any suspicious activity. The door opening would definitely cause it to alert you. I highly recommend this unit. My only complaint was the yearly fee but it is worth it especially if you "invest" thousands into the car.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
08-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Can I use this to find my car in the west ed parking lot when I forget where I parked it? :rolleyes: