PDA

View Full Version : Pre-possession Walk-through

canadaccord
06-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Just seeing if fellow beyonders who have gone through this process have any tips and important things to look at.

I know this is basically the only time to address deficiencies and defects or else the builder will not fix any issues with the home.

This is my first time buying a home so I'm new to the whole process.

Any tips would greatly appreciated!

Doozer
06-08-2008, 08:06 PM
There are plenty of other times. Not only do you have a warranty, but you also have 3/6/12 month walkthroughs (although some builders only do 2 walkthroughs now).

If you've been following the progress, you should already know that the paint colors are right, the right fixtures were installed, etc. There shouldn't be any major surprises at this point, but if there are you won't have any trouble finding those. Instead, we looked for more subtle things: smooth operation of all the drawers, the cabinet doors lining up, doors sticking, windows sticking, etc.

I remember after we took posession, we found out the next morning that the hot water faucet in our ensuite shower wasn't adjusted right, so it didn't go all the way to hot (it's one of those one-handle faucets that you turn past cold to get to hot). A quick phone call and soon enough they came and adjusted it. There are always going to be things like that that happen, so don't think that you're on the hook for any little thing that you might miss on this walkthrough. This is just the last time that you can find reasons not to move in. Otherwise, future repairs will just be done while you're living there.

rice_balls
06-08-2008, 10:48 PM
My hint for you is to take a look at things from a very low point of view. Squat down on the floor and look up at things like counter tops and hand railing from down low. I found some very ugly stuff and cover-ups when i was lying down on the floor after we moved in.