PDA

View Full Version : Work in BC

The Cosworth
06-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Hey guys, so as most of you know (i am not really quiet on here ;)) I left BC Hydro at Christmas to move back to Alberta.

Honestly, HUGE F*cking mistake. I like Calgary and all but for the $17,000 more I make a year here I just hate it.

I would like to get back into BC Hydro because I liked the work and atmosphere but think it may also because I dont know of anything else to work in electrical. I would prefer to live in the Okanagan, Vancouver Island, or Vancouver if the money was good.

I have a diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology from SAIT Graduated with 3.93/4.00 top 5% in my class.

Have experience with both distribution and transmission in the electrical utilities.

I have been keeping an eye of Hydro & Fortis's webpage but haven't seen anything yet. Wondering where else I could look.

I dont mind working for EA Games or something in Vancouver :rofl:

TYIA Brendan

Das Auto
06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Well Kiewit is doing a bunch of work for Plutonic and Cloudworks right now, only thing is we just hired a bunch of grads and co-ops so i'm not too sure how bad they need engineers now. Never would hurt to send a resume in, but in the same breathe Plutonic and Cloudworks might be places to look for work aswell.

The Cosworth
06-11-2008, 07:31 AM
^^ great idea, thanks

any others?

jay42w8
06-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Lol, what's so bad about Calgary? :rofl:

zarge
06-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Let's see.. it's shit weather 70-80% of the year including -40, It's full of rednecks driving huge trucks like they're ferraris.. Do I really need to say anything more.

dj_rice
06-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by zarge
Let's see.. it's shit weather 70-80% of the year including -40, It's full of rednecks driving huge trucks like they're ferraris.. Do I really need to say anything more.

zarge
Neutral

What I drive: 07 Avalanche

zarge
06-12-2008, 03:43 PM
I need a truck for work.. not my fault and I don't drive like a jackass. I'm also not a fan of george bush.

Now that's fucking golden. Another reason calgary is a shithole.. well north america in general. By some reason you think that it is impressive that you own the exact same item as another million people that it makes you special. Good Job.

The Cosworth
06-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by jay42w8
Lol, what's so bad about Calgary? :rofl:

when I moved to BC I had rosey memories of things to do in this city, my friends, and the corporate culture.

I am sickened by how immoral companies are (syncrude and the birds in the tailings ponds, notice they didnt mention anything until it was pointed out. They dont mention anything about the hundreds of deer who die a year)

I moved back for the money and my friends, I got to see my friends just as much when they came out to Vernon to see me, and I could give a shit about the money.

I went up 20,000 a year and I see about $300.00 a pay check. Not a huge increase to me.

zarge
06-12-2008, 05:16 PM
^^ Amen. The problem is most people don't understand this importance in north america. I would have to say Alberta is most likely top rated in monetary values in comparison to states like New York. Like I stated above people just don't get 1,000,000 other people own the same thing they do, so can they get over it and figure out what's really important. So please move back to BC, I plan on making the move myself within 5 years. Similar but just that tad bit better than this redneck shithole. When I'm fiscally ready or have a job lined up, you'll see me somewhere in europe. Oh the ignorance of north americans, we're the best and there's no place else! The best part of a stereotypical north american is what they call travelling, Mexico and Cuba in all inclusive resorts. They are so cultured! Oh, another great example, our beautiful architecture of homes stacked on hills with mountains views. So stacked you can even touch your neighbours hand from window to window! All so another individual so monetarily driven can make some more cash and buy his kid a nice car because that's what love seems to be these days.

Anyways Good Luck in BC my friend. Glad to see someone else actually cares about the shit around this province more than lining their pockets.

dragonone
06-12-2008, 05:31 PM
i'm glad u mentioned something like vernon, because if you think it's too materialistic here and ppl are stuck up, richmond/vancouver def. isn't the place for you
the redneck truck part evens out with the asian mom drivers
ur right about the weather tho

i think he was just playing man, for all we know you could be all stuck up with ur avalanche, while he thinks his amg is some crap that gets him around
:dunno:

zarge
06-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Actually it was the "my PAID off" statement that got me and the 2nd post was in response to the immoral shit going on in Alberta with a tad of humor about how ignorant north americans are. Funny they go hand in hand if you think about it hard enough.

The Cosworth
06-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
i'm glad u mentioned something like vernon, because if you think it's too materialistic here and ppl are stuck up, richmond/vancouver def. isn't the place for you
the redneck truck part evens out with the asian mom drivers
ur right about the weather tho

i think he was just playing man, for all we know you could be all stuck up with ur avalanche, while he thinks his amg is some crap that gets him around
:dunno:

I understand where your coming from so I think I should clarify a bit.

I trained in Vancouver for 3 months starting last june, I was put up in the Hilton at Metrotown and worked out of Hydro's Edmunds office. I would live in Vancouver if I had the money to live there, the reason I could tolerate Vancouver over Calgary are listed below:

- Rich people in Vancouver usually have had money longer (or family money) so they are more 'descrete about it'. The bently's, rolls, astons, are not flashed around as much as here. Some people here made it rich (or are HUGELY in debt) and show it off, going 200 down deerfoot and trying to drive their corvettes in the winter.

- Although people are richer, the social responsibility is still there. Lots of people take part in cleanup in Stanley park every year, granville island has lots of financial support from the community, etc.

- You dont see 15-25 yr old girls walking around in Beckham jeans, CC Glasses (I dont even know what they are, I just know their expensive).

- People are more humble, I shared a seat with the CEO of Hydro on the Skytrain going to the office on my second week in training.

- The companies care more about their employee's. We had to do some work for EA Games and got to go to their office. The owners of MOST companies in Van make sure that their employees have a job for life and are taken care of, and if they are having a tough time they nurture the people instead of firing them.

There are things that piss me off about vancouver however I am just paralleling why I like it better than calgary. Price of housing is a huge turn off.

Originally posted by Zarge ^^ Amen. The problem is most people don't understand this importance in north america. I would have to say Alberta is most likely top rated in monetary values in comparison to states like New York. Like I stated above people just don't get 1,000,000 other people own the same thing they do, so can they get over it and figure out what's really important. So please move back to BC, I plan on making the move myself within 5 years. Similar but just that tad bit better than this redneck shithole. When I'm fiscally ready or have a job lined up, you'll see me somewhere in europe. Oh the ignorance of north americans, we're the best and there's no place else! The best part of a stereotypical north american is what they call travelling, Mexico and Cuba in all inclusive resorts. They are so cultured! Oh, another great example, our beautiful architecture of homes stacked on hills with mountains views. So stacked you can even touch your neighbours hand from window to window! All so another individual so monetarily driven can make some more cash and buy his kid a nice car because that's what love seems to be these days.

Anyways Good Luck in BC my friend. Glad to see someone else actually cares about the shit around this province more than lining their pockets.

haha dude, a little much to comment on. I think they were bugging you.

Yes I feel that an older culture is much better, I would like to work in England one day an live with some of my family. However I have never been over so Vancouver/Vancouver island is the first step hah.

khtm
06-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Have you thought about Power Measurement?

http://www.pwrm.com/home/

They have an office near Victoria and seem like a good place to work. I had an offer from them before I moved to Calgary. A few of my friends worked there and really like it.

The Cosworth
06-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by khtm
Have you thought about Power Measurement?

http://www.pwrm.com/home/

They have an office near Victoria and seem like a good place to work. I had an offer from them before I moved to Calgary. A few of my friends worked there and really like it.

never even heard of them, i had an offer with Schneider though. I guess that was before they were purchased