PDA

View Full Version : Which Oil/Gas Company?

cressida_pimpin
06-10-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm graduating in a few months from the UofL in business and am interested in several oil and gas companies, which all have the recent graduate training programs. My question, then, is how do I decide which companies to apply to, or more importantly, how do I prioritize those companies. Pros/Cons of company? Corporate culture, salary? Also do you know of any highly sought o/g companies to work for that I haven't mentioned?

For instance:

Husky Energy
Encana
ConocoPhillips
Imperial Oil
Shell
Petro Canada

just to name a few..

ExtraSlow
06-10-2008, 09:39 AM
EnCana and Shell have very good flex day and vacation packages, I know people who work for both of those.
EnCana works you an extra half hour a day andyou get every second friday off, or something like that.

Euro838
06-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Petro has 12 Flex days
Encana has 1st and 3rd Fridays off
Shell has 19 Flex days

Not sure about the others. Salary should be fairly comparable between the giants. Things are obviously good right now so it also depends on your ability to negotiate.

As for corporate culture, it'll depend on the dept/team.

There's energy related companies such as CNRL, Suncor, Talisman, etc.

bobby_lu
06-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Fas Gas?

ExtraSlow
06-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I know for a fact TAQA North is hiring for a number of different positions. pm me and I can get you the HR contact info.

cressida_pimpin
06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Forgive me for my rookie question. What exactly is a "flex day"?

nos_efx
06-10-2008, 12:20 PM
^

Out of the month you can take a day off on any day you choose

Gainsbarre
06-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin
Forgive me for my rookie question. What exactly is a "flex day"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flex_time

Additional days off.

cressida_pimpin
06-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Does anybody know what a starting salary would be for an entry level business position with one of the big o/g companies?

bigboom
06-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Does anybody know what a starting salary would be for an entry level business position with one of the big o/g companies?

$50ish K plus benefits ie. savings plan, health and dental, bonus.

syeve
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Don't forget Nexen...I have heard good things about that Co.

CaptainReboot
06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Were you looking at Oil and Gas Exploration/Production or Oil and Gas servicing? They will be quite different in terms of compensation.

I started a few months ago Talisman and it's been great. We get 15 flex days here, stock options, pension plan, savings match, etc.

I used to work in an oil and gas servicing and it wasn't as great. The salary was lower, and we only got flex days in the summer, and it was never a guarantee that we would get them every year. Now, I can't say that for all servicing companies though.

My wife works for Suncor and she has some insane options there. There was recently a 2 for 1 split, which doubled what she had. The way things are going, we'll be able to pay off our entire mortgage by excercising her only half of her available options in two years. :thumbsup:

idriveabox
06-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Did you do a co-op with any of the listed companies? If not, I hope you have a decent contact.

DJ_NAV
06-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Nexen is great... Suncor is good too.. this is just from personal exprience.
But imo shell and imperial are the best for wages and training programs... they are not cheap at all!... some companies are cheap with new grads

TACO.VIDAL
06-11-2008, 07:41 PM
What can you expect to make after 5 years at one of the majors? Salary and then all-in?

SteveMo600
06-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
What can you expect to make after 5 years at one of the majors? Salary and then all-in?

That's very reliant on what your position is and how well you progress over the 5 years.

The corporate culture of each company may or may not work for certain people. If you get a good opportunity with a major company, try them out and see how you like it. Getting your foot in the door by getting your first job is the hardest part.

CokerRat
06-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
My wife works for Suncor and she has some insane options there. There was recently a 2 for 1 split, which doubled what she had.
To clarify for anyone who misreads this, when the stock splits, the number of shares double but the current price and the strike price is cut in half. The value of the options after the split is exactly the same as before.

That said, grats to her for having SU options when the stock increases 40% in a month!

Alterac
06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Anyone get a monthly transportation allowance?

Or how about fitness allowances?

Euro_Trash
06-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
Nexen is great... Suncor is good too.. this is just from personal exprience.
But imo shell and imperial are the best for wages and training programs... they are not cheap at all!... some companies are cheap with new grads

Shell is actually at the lower end of the salary end, but they make up for it with benifits

Euro_Trash
06-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Alterac

Some companies have gyms in their buildings and get free access, some have discounts at gyms. I haven't heard of any company giving a trans. or fitness allowance unless the employee is working in the field

CaptainReboot
06-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by CokerRat

To clarify for anyone who misreads this, when the stock splits, the number of shares double but the current price and the strike price is cut in half. The value of the options after the split is exactly the same as before.

That said, grats to her for having SU options when the stock increases 40% in a month!

Yes, that's correct, the number of options doubled, not the value of the options. Thanks for clarifying.

CaptainReboot
06-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Alterac

Enerplus had a transportation allowance that was added on your pay which is the same price as a monthly transit pass. Correct me if that has changed.

Most companies have fitness subsidies, although some are more flexible than others.

Some will allow you to use it to buy fitness equipment (golf clubs, running shoes, home gyms, etc), while others will only allow for strictly gym memberships or fitness related activities.

Some call it Health and Wellness, meaning you can use it for anything that will help relieve stress, not just gym or fitness classes.

Aleks
06-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Devon. Great place to work for. Stock doubled in 2 years. Excellent benefits and great pay.

Kritafo
06-12-2008, 05:21 AM
Nexen is a great company to work for. We had company weekends, flex schedule..I guess that depends on where you get in.

I have hear nothing but wonderful things about ConocoPhillips

Husky..not so much. They are cheap ass, and don't offer too many people stock options. They offer PDO's personal days off. In the midst of all the money being made everyone got minimal bonuses and it has been like this for the 7 years my husband has been there. In house training, they tend not to do out of town training and if you think your going to any expo type stuff.....you can forget it.

MR_PIMP
06-12-2008, 07:25 AM
what about To tal ?

bigboom
06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
Nexen is a great company to work for. We had company weekends, flex schedule..I guess that depends on where you get in.

I have hear nothing but wonderful things about ConocoPhillips

Husky..not so much. They are cheap ass, and don't offer too many people stock options. They offer PDO's personal days off. In the midst of all the money being made everyone got minimal bonuses and it has been like this for the 7 years my husband has been there. In house training, they tend not to do out of town training and if you think your going to any expo type stuff.....you can forget it.

having worked at conoco i'll have to agree a great place to work and offers a great lifestyle but don't expect to get paid all that much as there are no options to be had there but you do get about 15% of your salary in savings plans and things like that.

Crymson
06-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Options really are the big money makers.

If you're early in your career and not getting options, in 10 years you're going to hundreds of thousands, and possibly millions, behind the net worth of peers that did.

Some of the Canadian independent's do. CRNL, encana (i think), Talisman, still give options.. i don't know about nexen, i've heard husky only gives them to managment staff.

CaptainReboot
06-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Options really are the big money makers.

If you're early in your career and not getting options, in 10 years you're going to hundreds of thousands, and possibly millions, behind the net worth of peers that did.

Some of the Canadian independent's do. CRNL, encana (i think), Talisman, still give options.. i don't know about nexen, i've heard husky only gives them to managment staff.

Yeah, getting into a company with good options can make a big difference. It can definately help you retire much sooner (assuming you don't blow it all). One of the people my wife works with at Suncor has been there 20 years. Can you image the number of options that she has received and exercised through those years, coupled with with a few stock splits? Everyday someone asks her if she's going to quit yet, because there is no monetary reason for her to be there.

rc2002
06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Most companies are revising the options they give to their employees now (Suncor included). They don't offer as many options as before.

Super_Geo
06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I'd put Nexen, EnCana and Suncor near the top of your list.

The Cosworth
06-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Dont work for schlumberger (I hated it), i worked on the suncor/shell jobs in Panther and the company men seemed pretty happy with both

CaptainReboot
06-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth
Dont work for schlumberger (I hated it), i worked on the suncor/shell jobs in Panther and the company men seemed pretty happy with both

Schlumberger is servicing correct?

The Cosworth
06-12-2008, 05:07 PM
^^ yeah. I meant it more for the suncor/shell connection, than to stay away from a servicing company

rmk
06-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Petro has 12 Flex days
Encana has 1st and 3rd Fridays off
Shell has 19 Flex days

Yes sir. 1st and 3rd Friday off, good salary, benefits, monthly allowance, stock, lots of opportunity to advance within, team building excursions, free drinks in fridge. I'm sure I am missing some more there. I would say that the best thing about the company is the climate within. Fantastic place to work, and that is #1.

Now that they are splitting the company, there should be alot of opportunity coming up. I feel sorry for the IT guys though.

Why don't you tell us what you are graduating with, and some of your skills. What do you mean by Business?

ryeguy252
06-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Yes Enerplus still has the $75 a month transportation allowance (equilivant to $900) per year which is added to our paycheque regardless if you provide proof that you purchase a transit pass. Also every Friday off during the summer (July-August).

Enerplus had a transportation allowance that was added on your pay which is the same price as a monthly transit pass. Correct me if that has changed.

Most companies have fitness subsidies, although some are more flexible than others.

Some will allow you to use it to buy fitness equipment (golf clubs, running shoes, home gyms, etc), while others will only allow for strictly gym memberships or fitness related activities.

Some call it Health and Wellness, meaning you can use it for anything that will help relieve stress, not just gym or fitness classes.

Danish
06-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Edit.

spiceboy
06-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by rmk

Yes sir. 1st and 3rd Friday off, good salary, benefits, monthly allowance, stock, lots of opportunity to advance within, team building excursions, free drinks in fridge. I'm sure I am missing some more there. I would say that the best thing about the company is the climate within. Fantastic place to work, and that is #1.

Now that they are splitting the company, there should be alot of opportunity coming up. I feel sorry for the IT guys though.

Why don't you tell us what you are graduating with, and some of your skills. What do you mean by Business?

What do you mean by feeling sorry for the IT guys? Are they (Encana) outsourcing their IT dept? Or were you referring to the amount of work their IT guys had to deal regarding the split? e.g. separating network systems and infrastructures, etc ...

rmk
06-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by spiceboy

What do you mean by feeling sorry for the IT guys? Are they (Encana) outsourcing their IT dept? Or were you referring to the amount of work their IT guys had to deal regarding the split? e.g. separating network systems and infrastructures, etc ...

The workload that they are facing. It is going to be scary!

cressida_pimpin
06-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by rmk

I have a marketing management diploma from Mount Royal and a Bachelor of Management from the UofL with a major in general management. I really enjoy public speaking (giving presentations) and also enjoy writing. Although I'm good with numbers (stats/finance) it's not my favourite thing. In other words I'm a very good communicator and am also a critical thinker.

I have also considered getting into a sales career with companies such as Unilever, SC Johnson, Procter & Gamble etc. or getting into pharmaceutical sales.

yellowsnow
06-15-2008, 11:56 PM
what are your thoughts on CNRL?

ExtraSlow
06-16-2008, 10:11 AM
CNRL doesn't have a reputation for being a really great place to work.

rmk
06-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
CNRL doesn't have a reputation for being a really great place to work.

:werd: I have heard the same thing from ex-Anadarko people there.

The_Rural_Juror
06-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by rmk

:werd: I have heard the same thing from ex-Anadarko people there.

If there are any still left.

Euro_Trash
06-17-2008, 03:18 PM
I have worked for CNR for almost 2 years now and I really enjoy it. Everyone I have talked to at work love their jobs too, especially the ones who came over from companies like Imperial and Shell

rmk
06-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

If there are any still left.

True that.

cressida_pimpin
06-21-2008, 11:10 AM
So can we set up some kind of ranking. Post how you would rank the companies in terms of "would most like to work for" all the way down to "would never work for". Then we'll see if we can make a master list.

for instance:

Shell
Petro
CNRL
Conoco
Encana

Gainsbarre
06-21-2008, 01:43 PM
For now, I think it would just be best to apply for any company that you are slightly interested in, and hopefully get a few interviews to learn more. Some companies (such as Suncor or Imperial Oil) are notoriously difficult to get in if you have no connections.

Shaolin
06-21-2008, 10:42 PM
I have an interview with CNRL next week.. I heard they're not that bad? :dunno:

89coupe
06-21-2008, 11:48 PM
My buddy is a landman at CNRL, he's been there for 5 years now, the lucky bitch. I'm pretty sure he's a millionaire now.

I have another buddy who just went to CRNL, he's a geophysicist. Too bad CRNL's stock is through the roof right now, not the best time to get in on the options side of things.

If its your first job, try to get into a company that offers a lot of options and upside for stock growth. Take a hit on the salary, it pays off in the end.

Euro_Trash
06-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
My buddy is a landman at CNRL, he's been there for 5 years now, the lucky bitch. I'm pretty sure he's a millionaire now.

Yeah I have a friend who hired on about 5 years ago too. He made something like 1.1 million on shares alone

idriveabox
06-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Being a recent graduate from UofL in business like you, I have to agree with everyone else...just apply for any/all and be thankful for any interviews you get.

Worse case, you learn more about the co. and gain interview experience.

Don't worry about flexdays :thumbsup:

Commanderwiggin
06-29-2008, 03:48 PM
As a person who currently works for Nexen, I will say that the company is generally a decent company and I'm sure it would be good to work downtown. But for a person in the trades industry, ie. Operator, Inst Tech, Mechanic, etc... it sucks. Nexen DOES NOT believe in a bonus system. The CEO apparently decides to give himself a 24 million dollar bonus however.

I have heard that the wages up at long lake are even worse in comparison for the trades workers. Where I work, they do not pay very well in comparison and the management is completely FUK'D. It is a complete gongshow and the "Responsible Care" program is a lie. 2 months ago I had a near miss incident and it has gone absolutely no where with constant pushing to get something done about it. (When a 60lb piece of metal shoots off the front of a furnace like a torpedo and misses me and another guy, you step back and say wtf...and nothing has been done about it and no feedback)

So for a person working downtown, I am sure it is a great place to work. I know that the survey that went out a while ago for the top 50 employer thing, me and nearly all I know who work with me gave it a poor rating...and still they end up as one of the top employers. Don't know how though, guess all the downtown workers make up for it.

Also the turnover for people is crazy here...people who have been here for less than 3 months with 2nd class steam tickets and 15 years of experience are going WTF.

So before anyone goes about preaching nexen, heres an inside story. Keep in mind that my personal incident is only one of many near misses. And for an example about the type of bonus received during a turnaround year (3-5% of base.)

Benefits are great, moving package is great, HR is great. Trade industry wages are crap and so is the safety. I personally will not be here much longer as I do not feel safe working here. And I hold a 2nd class steam ticket for anyone whos looking.

DJ_NAV
06-29-2008, 04:51 PM
i was at nexen for an accounting job... it was great.. they treat you well.. lots of parties, free stuff, gym in building etc etc....the computers were kinda outdated but it did the job so it doesnt matter.

Commanderwiggin
06-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
i was at nexen for an accounting job... it was great.. they treat you well.. lots of parties, free stuff, gym in building etc etc....the computers were kinda outdated but it did the job so it doesnt matter.

Yes, I hear good things about downtown...everything else however...is shit. Just my .02

rmk
06-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Very surprising to hear about Nexens policy on bonuses. :eek:

viff3r
07-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I start at Nexen on Monday. From what I understand, their bonus structure is like this: every year you have a "target bonus" based on your salary. Mine is 10%, and can vary from 0-20% payout based on how well the company does and how well I perform. Paid out every April. Plus - pension plan, savings/stock plan, sweet benefits, free use of fitness facility,...coming from the EPC world, this is all a huge shock :D But I've heard nothing but fantastic things about Nexen from everyone I've talked to. And from my initial impressions, their HR team is awesome, and the company as a whole is very focused on keeping their employees happy. I'm pretty pumped to start there.

To the OP: As mentioned a few times above, start sending out resumes & going to interviews. And if you know anybody who is currently working in the industry, ask them what opportunities currently exist at their company. Knowing someone is always a huge advanatage when job hunting. Employers would rather hire somebody referred to them, rather than a random grad fresh out of Uni. In this biz it's all about WHO YOU KNOW. So start making connections. And never burn bridges, because you will soon realize that everyone knows everyone in this industry, whether it's EPC, services, owner/operators...it's pretty crazy. I started out 4 years ago while finishing my BComm at UofC. I had zero industry experience, obviously, but I worked hard at the relatively menial tasks I was given, learned absolutely everything I could, and I tried to make a name for myself within my company.

Good luck :thumbsup: You've picked the right city & industry to start your career in.

in*10*se
07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
imo.
get some offers then decide...
really upon graduation... beggers can't be choosers....

bubbley
07-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Heard nexen also pays 5000 if you refer someone that gets hired!

davidI
07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Nexen is good. The only downside is that the people are generally older (average age is 43 or something) so the atmoshphere isn't as fun as some of the mid-size companies with more youthful staff.

Benefits include:
$5000 referral bonus as stated above.
$350 wellness subsidy + gym in basement.
Work an extra half hour a day and get every 2nd Friday off (akin to Encana's program)
Stock Appreciate Rights (same idea as options)

As a recent graduate, I also have $7500 to spend on Education every year. It has been great.

Generally, I find the company really cares about Health, Safety & the Environment. I'm surprised at Commanderwiggin's post as in the last 3 years everything I've seen happen has been dealt with in a reasonably professional manner.

CaptainReboot
07-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Talisman increased their referral bonus to $6000 for technical/professional positions. No idea what it was before since I am fairly new to the company, but if you see a job you like on the website, let me know and I'll split it with you...haha.

Crymson
07-08-2008, 10:10 PM
The talisman referral incentive was increased from 5000, to 6000. However, as it was before, it only applies to a very select few positions. I don't think it's "accross the board". If you look at the internal postings, it has to say (or it used to at least ) "this posting qualifies for the referral incentive program".

But that said. Talisman is a great place to work.

cressida_pimpin
07-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by davidI

As a recent graduate, I also have $7500 to spend on Education every year. It has been great.

Can you bank that $7500/year and spend it down the road, on say, a Queen's MBA in Calgary?

davidI
07-09-2008, 09:45 PM

Can you bank that $7500/year and spend it down the road, on say, a Queen's MBA in Calgary?

No, but there is a separate program for degree / diploma studies wherein the company will pay for your studies. It usually involves a committment to stay with the company for a few years and you usually have to pay them back the expense if you do not complete the program. As far as I'm aware, most large companies will pay for post-graduate studies with the same types of caveats.

black_2.5RS
07-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Anyone work for Alliance Pipelines? What have you heard - good / bad / ugly?

CubicleGeek
07-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Another thing to note about Encana: Your base vacation is 15 days + (your age - 20). So when you hit 30, you will have 5 weeks vacation. That is in addition to the extra 24 days you get for having 1st and 3rd Fridays off. There is no company I know of that can match that, without having to negotiate extra vacation as part of the terms of employment.

Also, those employees that stay around for the split will get 1 month salary as a retention bonus and if they remain after the the split for a number of months they will get another month's salary work for sticking around.

If you're looking for a full-time job and want job security, there's no better place to work in Calgary than Encana that I know of.

rmk
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by CubicleGeek
Another thing to note about Encana: Your base vacation is 15 days + (your age - 20). So when you hit 30, you will have 5 weeks vacation. That is in addition to the extra 24 days you get for having 1st and 3rd Fridays off. There is no company I know of that can match that, without having to negotiate extra vacation as part of the terms of employment.

Also, those employees that stay around for the split will get 1 month salary as a retention bonus and if they remain after the the split for a number of months they will get another month's salary work for sticking around.

If you're looking for a full-time job and want job security, there's no better place to work in Calgary than Encana that I know of.

1 month salary when the split occurs, and 1 month salary 6 months after.

edit: Contractors do not recieve bonuses.

USED1
07-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by CubicleGeek

The only people that get the full months bonus are the ones that were employed with EnCana on the day the announcement was made. Anyone who becomes an employee after this date will get a percentage based on how long after the announcement they became employed with EnCana.

As well, you don't get 5 weeks automatically at 30. You get 4 weeks and can purchase up to an extra 2 weeks.

Ajay
07-11-2008, 02:30 PM
How is Petro Canada?

I just received a phone call for an Expense Analyst position I applied for in the beginning of June. I haven't called the lady back but wondering if anyone here works for Petro or can shed some light into the position.

DJ_NAV
07-11-2008, 04:32 PM
ajay how long have you been looking for a job?? i remember you had a interview with cp rail back in october??

Xtrema
07-11-2008, 05:02 PM
So can we set up some kind of ranking. Post how you would rank the companies in terms of "would most like to work for" all the way down to "would never work for". Then we'll see if we can make a master list.

for instance:

Shell
Petro
CNRL
Conoco
Encana

I won't be so picky, they are not THAT desperate for people with business degrees. If you co-op for any of these, unless you screwed up, you will most likely be invited back.

Only get picky when you have multiple offers in front of you.

- Husky is cheap
- Conoco/Imperial only hire people for jobs they can't outsource to US
- Shell will soon be like Imperial/ConocoPhillips
- Encana was a good place, may still will be after the split but nobody knows
- CNR is ok. Quite brutal in some departments

Good luck on your job hunt.

cressida_pimpin
07-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I won't be so picky, they are not THAT desperate for people with business degrees. If you co-op for any of these, unless you screwed up, you will most likely be invited back.

- Husky is cheap

Thanks, I appreciate the response.

xtrader101
07-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

- Husky is cheap

How About PETRO CANADA, anything?

Xtrema
07-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by xtrader101

How About PETRO CANADA, anything?

I have no experience/contact within Petro Can.

Euro838
07-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Petro-Canada is decent but in terms of salary and benefits, does not match up to Shell or Encana.

Petro has 12 flex/personal/EDO days per year, not 19 like Shell or 24 like Encana. But please keep in mind that these days by definition are not un-earned hours. For Encana, you are "supposed" to work a 9 hour day (not including lunch) so for a typical day it would be 8-6 with an hour lunch. With Petro, it's 8-5. Whether the company actually enforces this is another matter.

I believe contractors can charge a higher rate at Shell or Encana (obviously depending on xp).

Hope this helps.

hrdkore
07-14-2008, 10:23 AM
uhh instead of considering which oil/gas company u apply to them all, just cuz u know if they dont hire u.

The_Rural_Juror
07-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Euro838

I believe contractors can charge a higher rate at Shell or Encana (obviously depending on xp).

Yeah. Make sure you level up before applying if you want to maximize your l00t.

Commanderwiggin
07-25-2008, 12:50 AM
To those who posted about Nexen,

Nexen Downtown is a great place to work
Nexen Downtown is a safe place to work
Nexen Downtown follows the employee bonus program to a "T"
Nexen Downtown is where Charlie "Big Fish" Works
so...Nexen Downtown is bound to be good

Just remember that everytime you look outside the building at the big flare of Nexen Balzac...some poor son of a bitch is loosing his bonus because of the poor organization by the planning and sap bogus crap that goes on there. Turnaround 2007 was a huge failure...no matter what you will ever hear from them downtown. And it was by no means the fault of the Nexen workers...Management and Planning was at fault, yet the workers were dinged as well. And from what I hear in the past it has been the same way.

Hopefully new management at the facility will bring things around but with SAP clogging the work orders (when compared to the old system) and poor planning, poor bonuses, and poor worker morale is going on...people will leave.

For example, I am leaving Nexen...I am an operator and I have seen very unsafe things that could've killed me or someone else. I do not want that on my conscience. This is coming from a guy who has worked at very safe facilities.

Fact is the nexen balzac plant has had like 25-35 operators leave in the last couple years. The people currently working there are either near retirement...buying time before making a move and are planning to leave...or are leaving...I think mabe 2 people in that number were actual retiree's.

And if you want to know how much nexen cares? An employee who worked over 35 years...the bonus given for that much commitment was like 600$ from the company, if that (can't quiet remember but it was pennies). Operations and Maintenance chipped in more money for the guy then the company. And he finally did get a plasma TV from them in the end after lots of complaining and harassment to management.

Another example is a 56 day plant turnaround...planned 14 day turnaround. What did the workers get for this? Sure we got lots of overtime but who the hell wants to work non stop for 56 days of hell. They gave us all a 150 keg gift certificate. WOW!!! Amazing a keg gift certificate!! Put another 2 zeros on it and then mabe we'll call er even.

All I can say is I wish they needed power engineers downtown cause I'd be there in a heartbeat. Not to mention the equipment there isn't 40years old.

BTW if anyone works for a company with an employee referral program and they're looking for power engineers, my resume is ready. MAKE A QUICK BUCK AND GET ME OUTA HERE LOL!

xtrader101
07-25-2008, 03:19 PM
What are the chances that you'll be offered a fulltime job upon graduation in one of these O&G companies if you did coop with them?

Anyone with experience on this matter who would like to share is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

CaptainReboot
07-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by xtrader101
What are the chances that you'll be offered a fulltime job upon graduation in one of these O&G companies if you did coop with them?

Anyone with experience on this matter who would like to share is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

I asked our HR department at Talisman about new grad placement and they said that 95% of them have done a coop term with them. So if you've done a coop term with a company, you're basically set.

Commanderwiggin
07-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Keep the internal job postings coming!! :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
07-25-2008, 03:57 PM
I am sure TAQA North is hiring new grads.

cressida_pimpin
07-25-2008, 04:11 PM
What salary do you think someone with an undergrad business degree would top out at, holding a senior position? This would depend on the department, finance, operations etc. but average after 10 or 15+ years...

Crymson
07-25-2008, 04:33 PM

I asked our HR department at Talisman about new grad placement and they said that 95% of them have done a coop term with them. So if you've done a coop term with a company, you're basically set.

95% of the new grads HAVE DONE A COOP. That does NOT mean 95% of the COOP students got hired.

In fact, Talisman ONLY hires CO-OP students (no "summer jobs" for engineers). You have be in the official co op program, for engineers. Geology and geophysics has 4 month, summer, work terms.

2006 and 2007 were bad years for students getting hired on. 2003-2005 were amazing, and the next few years are gonig to be good again for hiring technical (Engineering, Geology, Geophys) new grads. Expect starting salaries in the mi 60's

g-m
08-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Nice!
Starting internship with husky september 1st as a reservoir engineer, I'll tell you how it goes

nobb
08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Do engineers doing internship get sent out on the field operating, or are they put in the office downtown? I know a co-op student who is out in the field, but dont know if that applies to interns as well.

ExtraSlow
08-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Depends on the company. field time is very valuable experience, so if you get the chance, jump at it.

Euro_Trash
08-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by nobb
Do engineers doing internship get sent out on the field operating, or are they put in the office downtown? I know a co-op student who is out in the field, but dont know if that applies to interns as well.

What is the difference between a co-op student and an intern?

nobb
08-12-2008, 04:37 PM
^Im not really sure. I think different universities are set up different. Only after my 3rd year (UC) will I be able to intern for a year. I have some friends in UA and UT that are doing co-op after their 2nd year, but I think it only lasts until december and not a full school year.

Also, I am wondering if anyone has worked out in the field as a summer student or co-op/intern? Did you actually learn anything and what did you do? Im out in the field this summer and all I am doing is weedbeating and painting. Maybe ride along with a real operator once in a while. It appears alot of the previous summer students spent most of their summer doing this as well...maybe its mostly dependent on the operators you are with? Not really a bad job or anything, but if I were out in the field for a whole year as an intern I would prefer to learn as much as I can.

realazy
08-12-2008, 05:01 PM
To answer a few questions here,

Companies mainly put interns/co-op students in offices. I'm with Husky right now at their Lloydminster refinery. I get to go out to the field and check things out, but I have an office job and my own projects.

The difference between an internship and a co-op program is that an internship is all at once (ie 12 or 16 months) while co-op programs usually offer 4 months work and 4 months school, hence why the above poster said some schools start co-op in second year.

There are benefits to both programs. One you get to change companies and try out new jobs, but not really get to know each job too well. While the other you get a very good experience in working in that position but you are limited to that one cmopany.

WWJAI
08-12-2008, 06:30 PM
How tough is it to usually get a entry level accounting job with these companies?

I've applied before, no luck, and I was told a lot of these usually only hire through staffing agencies on a temp. basis.

rmk
08-12-2008, 06:33 PM
they sometimes do hire through agencies.

where I work unless you have real experience, you are cut out.

Euro_Trash
08-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by nobb
^Im not really sure. I think different universities are set up different. Only after my 3rd year (UC) will I be able to intern for a year. I have some friends in UA and UT that are doing co-op after their 2nd year, but I think it only lasts until december and not a full school year.

Also, I am wondering if anyone has worked out in the field as a summer student or co-op/intern? Did you actually learn anything and what did you do? Im out in the field this summer and all I am doing is weedbeating and painting. Maybe ride along with a real operator once in a while. It appears alot of the previous summer students spent most of their summer doing this as well...maybe its mostly dependent on the operators you are with? Not really a bad job or anything, but if I were out in the field for a whole year as an intern I would prefer to learn as much as I can.

I spent 4 months operating and it was a great experience, but it entirely depends on who/where you are placed. The field I was in we had "painter girls" who did all the painting, grass cutting, etc. Any student in the field was there as an operator.
The 4 months after that I worked in a field office, which was 100 times better than operating. It was way more interesting, I had way more responsibility and I was able to see tons of different jobs.
I would recommend spending as much time in the field as possible, but try and get them to put you on an actual run, not doing bitch work.

xtrader101
08-16-2008, 09:12 AM
I will be starting my coop with Petro Canada next month. How's the dress code? It is business casual or suit everyday?

Thanks.

ExtraSlow
08-17-2008, 11:17 AM
No suit. wear a shirt with buttons and some slacks and you'll be fine.