PDA

View Full Version : Best corporate internet plan?

Super_Geo
06-10-2008, 01:23 PM
The company I'm working at has a 40GB/month 'net traffic plan for 120 employees.

IT has sent an email telling us to use less traffic cause we're averaging 90GB/month and getting dinged on extra fees... well, the rest of us worker bees think that they should just get a new plan!

There must be a lot of IT guys on here... what plan would you recommend to an engineering company w/ ~120 employees?

I don't want to have to give up Youtube at work :(

dr_jared88
06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
This is the exact reason why I love Saskatchewan ISPs better then anywhere else. Lower costs and no bandwidth limitations for total transfer :)

But yea 40/gb for 120 users isn't that much at all. Thats 300mb per user which depending on what users have to do is nothing at all. Hell the photoshop trial I just downloaded was more then that. Our employees here transfer gigabytes worth of maps at a time over aircards none the less. If we had limitations here we'd be screwed!

Ben
06-10-2008, 01:39 PM
The last few offices I've worked in had Terago, and it was decent for that size of company. Just depends on the plan size you go with for the E10. Otherwise you're in the same scenario, paying a lot for overages. Reliability was decent. I've also worked on an Enmax Envision setup which was great also, however I wasn't involved in the billing side so I'm not sure what we paid.

There is also Shaw Business Solutions.
http://www.shaw.ca/ShawBusinessSolutions/

A lot of the traffic was emailing 4-5 MB videos throughout the office to a lot of staff in remote offices, so that video turns into several hundred MB each time it's forwarded throughout the company.

Set up a bunch of V-Lans and restrict Youtube and all that junk to just special people on the specific "All Access" LAN. Easily done with any modest Firewall and Switch Equipment. That'll drop your Bandwidth. Rolled that out over the winter at Sunshine and it cut down the monthly bandwidth from 800GB to 150GB

mazdavirgin
06-10-2008, 01:45 PM
http://www.shaw.ca/ShawBusinessSolutions/

It costs but it is bar none the best service out there. They are known as BigPipe and host the UofC and the school boards. Really though it might be out of your companies price range.

Alterac
06-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, I personally would filter the internet, and stop streaming audio/video also.

Then get an external spam filter, so you dont even get the spam through to your pipe. (Assuming Exchange or whatever is hosted in the office).

Also I would put in place email size limitations, etc.

Thats assuming they cant just get a better connection, or subsidize the current one with a shaw business connection.