PDA

View Full Version : BMW GINA Light Visionary Concept

BerserkerCatSplat
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
http://img.worldcarfans.com/US/2008/6/10/9080610.002/9080610.002.Mini2L.jpg

kTYiEkQYhWY

Would you like to have a car that can assume different shapes? You may think technology has not gone so far, but complicated things can be made out of simple ideas. Just check out the attached images for this article - they may seem to be of slightly different vehicles, but they are only different appearances BMW’s new changing concept car is able to perform. The Bavarian automaker has named it GINA Light Visionary Model Concept Car, and the car can assume different shapes due to the material the body is built from: cloth.

The fabric is placed over a meshwork of metal wires that can move, controlled by electro-hydraulic devices. As you can imagine, this is the way the car manages to change its shape as many times as the person behind the wheel decides to do so. GINA does not change only the exterior, but also the interior. We believe describing the process may not be as interesting as seeing it in motion, so we will pay careful attention to the video BMW will surely disclose in coming days.

Although it is very unlikely that such a car ever finds its way into production lines any time soon, GINA as a design exercise can surely help BMW shape its future vehicles. Considering the car body can change, it may help BMW designers in the future decide what lines looked better on the car.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080610.002/bmw-gina-light-visionary-model-concept-car-revealed

syeve
06-10-2008, 01:43 PM
That is badass...those headlight are unreal. I dig it.

DNSRadio
06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
I WANT !!!

:drool:

bituerbo
06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Most expensive sleepy-eye mod EVER.

treg50
06-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Is that pronounced GINA like GINO (Italian)? OR like vag?

Either way, it's meh. Looks like they slapped a BMW logo one of the NSX concepts. But it's a BMW logo so now it's awesome this time.....

BerserkerCatSplat
06-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by treg50
Is that pronounced GINA like GINO (Italian)? OR like vag?

Either way, it's meh. Looks like they slapped a BMW logo one of the NSX concepts. But it's a BMW logo so now it's awesome this time.....

LOL, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you didn't watch the video. Or read the article.

treg50
06-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
LOL, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you didn't watch the video. Or read the article.
That's a VERY sturdy limb you're on I assure you. :D

drtoohotty1
06-10-2008, 02:26 PM
i would be so pissed if i owned that and someone key'd my car

schocker
06-10-2008, 02:32 PM
I guess I will just have to turn that dial from the ugly setting....:dunno:
weird concept, kind of a transformerish idea

treg50
06-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Okay, I'll admit that's a pretty cool and interesting concept.

blownz
06-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

lol I was going to say the same thing.

I agree the car isn't pretty, but it is damn cool to watch.

black13
06-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Great idea. About fucking time we moved away from metal body frames. I was thinking about this the other day and car body's are way too fragile these days. The smallest bump can cause alot of damage.

sxtothe240
06-10-2008, 02:53 PM
the fabric that he touched and stretched didn't look too solid....say your driving around at 60km/hr with winds blowing at it, your car would look like it had dents everywhere as the fabric would problably shift like any other fabric.

and durability of the fabric? going on deerfoot with rocks that crack windshields....how would the fabric hold up to that?

The concept itself is fresh and interesting, i'd really like to see how the upcoming research and development goes.

herragge
06-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Fucking Bangle and his crazy innovative ideas for BMW.

Sometime his designs are questionable but you can't argue that this thing ain't cool. What it represents is more important than if it ever actually makes it to showrooms, which of course it won't.

gretz
06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
problems - cold weather (hopefully a summer car only)
- as posted and my first thought - what if someone key'd her
- safety?? - there better be a fkn NHRA cage under all those thin fabrics and wire mesh

Tik-Tok
06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Did anyone else get a little turned on when the hood opened?

shirshamshir
06-10-2008, 04:15 PM
interesting, they could go far with it
but i dont want that specific thing
still looks like a bug to me..
bugs arent always nice

cycosis
06-10-2008, 04:28 PM
maybe.... Wish my car could blink.

Xtrema
06-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by herragge
Fucking Bangle and his crazy innovative ideas for BMW.

Sometime his designs are questionable but you can't argue that this thing ain't cool. What it represents is more important than if it ever actually makes it to showrooms, which of course it won't.

But it give people ideas.

All we need is impenetrable fabric and we have the ultimate light weight material to build cars with.

Now if we can make it easy for our women to wash it........

silviafreek89
06-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

All we need is impenetrable fabric and we have the ultimate light weight material to build cars with.

Now if we can make it easy for our women to wash it........

:rofl: :rofl: WHAT AN ASSHOLE....but i can't stop laughing lol

Car design has just been elevated to a completely new level!!
I absolutly love this "thing" ... The taillights are beautiful, the headlight idea is fantastic and I like how the engine is hidden by a shroud that just opens up like that -SICK!
-Needs a roof...

avishal26
06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Did anyone else get a little turned on when the hood opened?

You have a dirty mind and a very vivid imagination... :rofl:

ryanallan
06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
haha guys.

sweet car though. bangle sure thinks outside the box

Bimmer88
06-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Well looks better than the other one... haha.

eglove
06-10-2008, 09:30 PM
that is mind blowing