PDA

View Full Version : Damaged rims

TrailBlazerSS
06-10-2008, 08:32 PM
OK, so you tell me... should I be accepting this as "normal"? (See pictures). I bought new rims (for a pretty penny I may add) and this is what they came out looking like once installed. When I pointed out the damages to *unnamed company*, they told me this was 'normal'. In addition to the damaged rims they failed to put wheel balancing rings on and therefore my vehicle was shaking like bacon in a frying pan when I went upwards of 90+km/hr. They are now telling me they need to charge me more money so they can install these rings they didn't bother putting on in the first place!

I'm asking for 2 new rims to replace these ones. Am I right in doing so? They didn't seem to think so, but I'm not settling for "no" just yet.

PS: I will leave this company unnamed for the time being until I see how they handle this 'little problem'.

Picture 1
This rim has what I would compare to what you may see if you chip the inner lip of a wine glass...
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/fbouchie/driverssidefront_5-1.jpg

Picture #2
A noticable ding on the chrome part of the rim.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/fbouchie/passengersidefront_3.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/fbouchie/passendersidefront_2.jpg

NickGT
06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Brutal. That is unacceptable imo.

adidas
06-10-2008, 08:45 PM
If you brought in ur car for service and it came out without headlights would you accept it?!

Take that shit back and tell em to repair the rims or give you new ones!

civicman
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
If you accept that work and dont insist on having it replaced on their dime then they will just keep doing it to who ever else they can.....

TrailBlazerSS
06-10-2008, 08:57 PM
This just sucks so bad. I don't have time for this crap! And they look really good, but every time I look at them all I see are those friggin blemishes! Unreal... why is it that businesses don't own up to things. I said to one of the guys 'if this was your car and you spent a bunch of money on an appearance product, would you be happy if there were flaws to that appearance?' He said he didn't see a problem unless you looked really close!

This is what I'm dealing with. I can see this is most likely going to get ugly. :(

eb0i
06-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Might as well tell us the company now so others can avoid them. And I would also say that it is unacceptable to have that kind of damage.

JordanLotoski
06-10-2008, 09:05 PM
call alloy wheel repair...they just repaired by DPE wheel, looks brand new.

guessboi
06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
yes if they don't fix it, tell us this company so we can avoid it. :D

sxtothe240
06-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
call alloy wheel repair...they just repaired by DPE wheel, looks brand new.

Right, he CAN do that.
But why should he have to pay for damages that the original company made?

or he could work a deal out and get the rims fixed there, and bring the receipt back to the company and tell them to pay for it.

CivicDXR
06-10-2008, 10:16 PM
yup, everyones right, thats unacceptable... as for the hub rings, that is a chargeable item, so they've got you on that one, but after all the damages on the wheels, they should be giving them to you for free...

tirebob
06-11-2008, 08:09 AM
I can't say for sure just from the pictures, but I would not say for certain that is a blemish from the manufacturer. It looks more like a ding from mishandling at some point, whether it originated from the manufacturing point or the installation point, or somewhere in between who can say for certain...

Yes it is virtually impossible to say that every wheel that goes out is perfect in every way, but at the same time a dent in the lip is not something I would ever say is accetable. In a case like this where I had a wheel that has a problem, the company should first show it to the customer and give them the chance to accept it or deny it. If they do accept it they should be offered at the very least a break on the price.

In cases such as this (it does happen that goods arrive not perfect) I will show the client the flaw, find out whether it is something that is completely unacceptable or not, and if they are possibly interested, I will contact the manufacturer/distributor and try and get an extra discount on the bum product on behalf of the customer. If it is not acceptable and we cannot come up with a deal to satisfy the client I will either order in a new replacement or simply not leave the customer obligated to the purchase and start from scratch.

If the goods were brand new and were damaged by the company doing the install, then that is an entirely different story and they should either automatically offer an acceptable discount, repair or replacement depending on the situation and the customers desires. If the wheel is an old P.O.S. and is beat up all over the place from issues previous to the shop, then a free replacement for a small "new" mark is not realistic, but there are other ways to make up thgings to the customer. This does not sound like the case here however...

Stunt66
06-11-2008, 11:08 AM
To bad all stores can't use tirebob's way of thinking. It's probably too late for the store to claim it was damaged before and now their probably gonna be dicks about it. Thats gotta suck that you bought new rims and now they're slightly damaged from someone else. Hope it all works out.

TrailBlazerSS
06-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
....If the wheel is an old P.O.S. and is beat up all over the place from issues previous to the shop, then a free replacement for a small "new" mark is not realistic, but there are other ways to make up thgings to the customer. This does not sound like the case here however...

I guess I wasn't clear, but in this case I'm talking about BRAND SPANKING NEW rims that were ordered, purchased and installed by *company*...

Last night I sent a very stern e-mail demanding the replacement of both damaged rims... I have yet to hear back from them.

I was NOT called and notified of the damaged rims before they were installed. Believe it or not I actually received some second-hand information that the install tech was aware of the damage and was told by my sales rep to install them anyway!! To be honest, even if I were called in advance and told about the damages I would not have accepted them. My thought is I paid a lot of money for these things so why should I see flaws in them... this is not cool. :(

The company name will be released to the world come Friday if I don't get my new rims. So if you're snooping on this message board... E-MAIL ME BACK!

francisc006
06-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Whats the name so we can avoid them?
Kal Tire lol... I remember buying brand new rims from them and they put the hammer on weights on the outside?!?!? These werent your steelies type of rims, these were nice looking rims...
Anyway, hope it all went good for you if not that'll be 2 tire shops Ill be avoiding FOREVER... looking forward to finding out who it was:guns:

TrailBlazerSS
06-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Update - I have been in communication with the company and I've been told they are making an attempt to get me new rims. I'm being patient... but not for too long. Hopefully everything will work out.