PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Home over 22 Million dollars

tm.88
06-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Anyone know if this is the citys most expensive property?
Located in the cul de sac of Pump Hill CL SW
City Tax Assessment has it at $22020000

Anyone know of a more luxurious place, or any info on this property in Pump Hill. ie owner, features etc...
very curious.

I would have to think it would be near impossible to sell this place if the time ever came!!!

Hakkola
06-11-2008, 12:02 AM
It is the most expensive.

If I remember correctly there are 2 underground levels, theater, 91 rooms, guard station etc. His name is Alfred Balm.

What I think most people don't know is that the "main" entrance is on the side if you're looking from the road, there is a real nice staircase there. I'm not sure if you can still see it from the road.

boxer23
06-11-2008, 12:06 AM
theres one for $32 million somewhere in foothills??
although they say the pumphill one is the most expensive, but I don't believe it.

robpark
06-11-2008, 12:08 AM
It may be assessed at that value, but...it is really only worth what someone will pay for it, and that is likely NOT $22,000,000...

So many better options for less cash... Mount Royal, Elbow Park, Rideau and Roxboro are far better locations with more prestige and you can buy into the TOP end of those neighbourhoods for around $12,000,000...if you wanted to. $6,000,000 will get you a pretty good house, so save the cash and buy a beach house somewhere and a lot of really exotic cars.

I do know the house has a turntable in the garage so the owner never has to back out, and I believe it has 14 bathrooms. Too bad it looks like a mall and has the curb appeal syphilis riddled hooker. That's my opinion at least....I really don't like the place.

nismodrifter
06-11-2008, 12:12 AM
You can see the side entrance as you drive down the street if you look through the trees. I personally am not a fan of the home. Yeah its pimp and shit but the location does not appeal to me at all.

Jlude
06-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by robpark

I do know the house has a turntable in the garage so the owner never has to back out, and I believe it has 14 bathrooms. Too bad it looks like a mall and has the curb appeal syphilis riddled hooker. That's my opinion at least....I really don't like the place.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I wonder who owns it?

Hakkola
06-11-2008, 12:17 AM

So many better options for less cash... Mount Royal, Elbow Park, Rideau and Roxboro are far better locations with more prestige and you can buy into the TOP end of those neighbourhoods for around $12,000,000...if you wanted to. $6,000,000 will get you a pretty good house, so save the cash and buy a beach house somewhere and a lot of really exotic cars.

There are no better options of similar size, and I would argue that Mount Royal and Elbow Park are not much better locations if you're talking about distance from downtown or neighbourhood. There is hardly any traffic in pumphill and it is only ten minutes from downtown, with chinook center less than 5 minutes away, glenmore resevoir so close, quicker access to deerfoot and a lot of wildlife.

I see packs of deer every week and I even see moose in our yard.

People spending this much money on a house already own houses elsewhere. And a lot of these rich people don't care for exotic cars, one of our friends just built a massive house west of Calgary and they have 3 BMW x5s, and they have 2 beach houses. :rofl:

nismodrifter
06-11-2008, 12:19 AM
http://www.businessedge.ca/article.cfm/newsID/3417.cfm

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=102d4eda-4a62-441c-8551-f483ff35a4c1&k=54217

He owns Fracmaster. Baller.

"Built in 2000, Balm's 91-room mansion includes two elevators, 14 bathrooms, an indoor pool, sauna, gym, library, auditorium-concert hall and studio."

Hakkola
06-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=102d4eda-4a62-441c-8551-f483ff35a4c1&k=54217

I don't think he is an owner anymore.

That first article is wrong, including all levels the house is close to 40 000 sq feet.

Jlude
06-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

"Built in 2000, Balm's 91-room mansion includes two elevators, 14 bathrooms, an indoor pool, sauna, gym, library, auditorium-concert hall and studio."

Thanks! Interesting read.

robpark
06-11-2008, 01:21 AM
There are no better options of similar size, and I would argue that Mount Royal and Elbow Park are not much better locations if you're talking about distance from downtown or neighbourhood. There is hardly any traffic in pumphill and it is only ten minutes from downtown, with chinook center less than 5 minutes away, glenmore resevoir so close, quicker access to deerfoot and a lot of wildlife.

OK, now...Let me give you my read of the situation (all with the utmost respect...this is all opinion).

First off, getting to downtown in rush hour is MUCH easier from Roxboro, Rideau, Elbow Park, Mount Royal... Hands down. The 90th Ave, Southland, 14th to Glenmore route is dreadful. Not to mention, you have the option to walk to downtown from those communities, rather than having to drive (think sustainability, resource costs, $1.50/litre gas).

I also think that land values in Pump Hill are artificial, in that the only thing bouying the price there is the fact that all the other houses on the hill are large and expensive. Get rid of the estate homes and you could have just as easily put normal houses there. Pump Hill is just as close to the reservoir as Oakridge or Palliser...Bayview is even closer...The innercity communities offer the walk to work lifestyle, easy access to 17th, 4th and downtown, river pathways and are close to places like the Glencoe Club. Then there is the character of the other neighbourhoods...no sound barriers, interesting character architecture with a few really exceptional modern homes to punctuate the aesthetic. Most of Pumphill is 80/90's stucco/wood siding. Some people might like that, I do not.

Then there is the issue of square footage. 40,000 as I see it, is far too much. I'd rather have 6,000 ft2 of opulent living space, decked out in limestone, marble.....brilliant art on the walls than 40,000 ft of mediocrity. 6,000ft2 at $1000 a square foot will do just as much to impress people as 40,000 at $400 a square foot (not saying that is the case for that house specifically). Not to mention utility costs for keeping the place warm, staff costs for the cadre of cleaners you'll need to keep it tidy and the sheer volume of rooms you'll have to furnish. Think of the bill you'll run up at Roche Bobois! ;)

So yeah...that's why I wouldn't pick Pump Hill....I'm not saying it's bad, just not my first choice. Same thing goes for places like Springbank and Aspen... I'd rather have a smaller house on land that is worth more, than an expensive house on so-so land. Land will always be the appreciating asset vs. the house that depreciates.

FYI - City tax says:

Total Living Area Above Grade 15,747 sq. ft. / 1,463 sq. m.

Meaning that 25,000 ft2 of the house is below grade?

Heff
06-11-2008, 09:01 AM
IMHO even 6000 sq. ft. is too much.

Thats a whole lot of space that goes unused for much of the time.

I'd (personally) rather have a really well done 2500 sq. ft. home with an awesome outdoor entertainment area for family/friends gatherings in the summer time.

Hakkola
06-11-2008, 10:00 AM

OK, now...

FYI - City tax says:

Fair enough. Being able to walk downtown is a bonus, and the river and scenery is a little better. I like Pumphill though because it is like a forest in the middle of the city. 14th isn't as bad as you make it sound though, I left my house at 6:05 yesterday, in terrible weather and during rush hour, and still made it to the UofC by 6:25, without driving agressively.

Much of Pump Hill, especially where the house in question stands, has modern homes, it is mostly the outlaying areas of Pumphill which have those not spectacular looking homes, but even in those areas there are some amazing houses. Most of the houses which look like shit are undergoing renovations right now as well.

Personally as a young adult I would rather live downtown or in Mount Royal, but for older rich people who want to live inside the city in a quiet area, IMO Pumphill is the best place, just because there is so little traffic and nothing really happening in the community.

Oh and yes, most of the house is below grade, like I said, 2 "basement" levels.

TYMSMNY
06-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I don't think he is an owner anymore.

That first article is wrong, including all levels the house is close to 40 000 sq feet.

You're right, he's ex Fracmaster now but holds quite the interest in it still. His house sits on two lots. Great guy with a fantastic Christmas party

rmk
06-11-2008, 12:21 PM
If anyone is curious as to what the place looks like on the inside, Abugov Kaspar architects have a few photos of the place inside the foyer of the Bentline office. Very cool.

AB owns a company called Emergo, who invest and fund small startups. Their office is in Bankers Hall.

There has been a Spyker spotted many times in the driveway.

modded46
06-11-2008, 12:23 PM
As a comparison.. here's what 4 mil gets you down here..

http://schomes4u.idxre.com/idx/detail.cfm?cid=6057&pid=727889&bid=60

:eek:

modded46
06-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Or better yet for under 3

http://schomes4u.idxre.com/idx/detail.cfm?cid=6057&pid=702388&bid=60

black13
06-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by modded46
Or better yet for under 3

http://schomes4u.idxre.com/idx/detail.cfm?cid=6057&pid=702388&bid=60
wow, this is so much nicer and yet only 3 mil? I've seen some at around that price in calgary and they are garbage compared to that.

Evro
06-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Pumphill is shit - unless your jewish, then everything's kindof there, but in general, no nice view, no park's out to the river or anything

Graham_A_M
06-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by rmk
If anyone is curious as to what the place looks like on the inside, Abugov Kaspar architects have a few photos of the place inside the foyer of the Bentline office. Very cool.

AB owns a company called Emergo, who invest and fund small startups. Their office is in Bankers Hall.

There has been a Spyker spotted many times in the driveway.

Excuse my ignorance, but whats a Spyker?

I used to know the guy who installed the stereo(s) in Alfred's house. He is a sales rep for one of Calgary's nicest stereo stores.
He was telling me about it, aparently he has a beach in his house, with a waterfall. The sand was brought in from Eygpt. :dunno:
Definatley interesting.

The most phenominal house I've ever seen was this 60,000 sq foot estate just south (well around there approx.) of Cochrane, on the other side of the #1.
Out of respect to the owner, I wont divulge his name, business or the road to get there... but it was absolutely incredible.
The furnishings were just amazing... :nut:
He had 4 garages that spanned the property. It was incredible, just like Rivendale from Lord of the Rings... particulairly how it was nestled in nature.

Hakkola
06-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Evro
Pumphill is shit - unless your jewish, then everything's kindof there, but in general, no nice view, no park's out to the river or anything

You're talking about ground level, from the second floor of most the houses on the hill you can see downtown.

I used to be able to see downtown from my balcony but the trees have grown too much. There are two "parks" of sorts inside the main Pumphill area.

The only real downside IMO is the lack of water, but with the resevoir a 5 min walk away it is not a big deal.

And remember, not everyone wants a view of downtown, a lot of the houses feel like they're in the middle of the forest, they seem secluded even though they're in the middle of the city.

Euro_Trash
06-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Excuse my ignorance, but whats a Spyker?

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=spyker%20c8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

rmk
06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=spyker%20c8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Word. Gotta be less than 10 of those in Canada.

Ntense_SpecV
06-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
The most phenominal house I've ever seen was this 60,000 sq foot estate just south (well around there approx.) of Cochrane, on the other side of the #1.
Out of respect to the owner, I wont divulge his name, business or the road to get there... but it was absolutely incredible.
The furnishings were just amazing... :nut:
He had 4 garages that spanned the property. It was incredible, just like Rivendale from Lord of the Rings... particulairly how it was nestled in nature.

I'm pretty sure I know the house/estate you are talking about - the one with the curved interior doors that are something like $4000 a door? It is a beautiful estate and property. I loved the look out tower.

Graham_A_M
06-11-2008, 03:24 PM
It might be, its about 8 buildings on that property. If the entrance to the property is about 4kms long, and all those are said km's are directly south off the highway. It is hellishly steep in the winter, then yeah thats probably it. The pillars that hold the canopy (to the main house driveway) are wood, the whole house has wood furnishings on the outside. Its very well hidden away from the road.

Canmorite
06-11-2008, 06:18 PM
The guy is 90+ years old isn't he?

I do some work in Pumphill and drive by it all the time. HUGE.

Graham_A_M
06-11-2008, 06:47 PM
^ Yup, and the house right beside it (as in next door), is his private physcians (spelling:banghead: )

He built that house JUST for his private doctor to live in, so he could be right there when his wife needs help. As she is very sick apparently. :dunno:

demosticgarbage
06-12-2008, 12:10 AM
I was told that Alfred Balm, is a modern day scam artist who defrauded many investors with his operations of fracmaster. does anyone know his business activities?

Impreza
06-12-2008, 01:31 AM

OK, now...Let me give you my read of the situation (all with the utmost respect...this is all opinion).

First off, getting to downtown in rush hour is MUCH easier from Roxboro, Rideau, Elbow Park, Mount Royal... Hands down. The 90th Ave, Southland, 14th to Glenmore route is dreadful. Not to mention, you have the option to walk to downtown from those communities, rather than having to drive (think sustainability, resource costs, $1.50/litre gas).

I also think that land values in Pump Hill are artificial, in that the only thing bouying the price there is the fact that all the other houses on the hill are large and expensive. Get rid of the estate homes and you could have just as easily put normal houses there. Pump Hill is just as close to the reservoir as Oakridge or Palliser...Bayview is even closer...The innercity communities offer the walk to work lifestyle, easy access to 17th, 4th and downtown, river pathways and are close to places like the Glencoe Club. Then there is the character of the other neighbourhoods...no sound barriers, interesting character architecture with a few really exceptional modern homes to punctuate the aesthetic. Most of Pumphill is 80/90's stucco/wood siding. Some people might like that, I do not.

Then there is the issue of square footage. 40,000 as I see it, is far too much. I'd rather have 6,000 ft2 of opulent living space, decked out in limestone, marble.....brilliant art on the walls than 40,000 ft of mediocrity. 6,000ft2 at $1000 a square foot will do just as much to impress people as 40,000 at $400 a square foot (not saying that is the case for that house specifically). Not to mention utility costs for keeping the place warm, staff costs for the cadre of cleaners you'll need to keep it tidy and the sheer volume of rooms you'll have to furnish. Think of the bill you'll run up at Roche Bobois! ;)

So yeah...that's why I wouldn't pick Pump Hill....I'm not saying it's bad, just not my first choice. Same thing goes for places like Springbank and Aspen... I'd rather have a smaller house on land that is worth more, than an expensive house on so-so land. Land will always be the appreciating asset vs. the house that depreciates.

FYI - City tax says:

Thank you! Finally someone that agrees the pumphill is overrated!! Great community, but like you said, wouldn't be my first choice. The ability to actually WALK downtown is worth a lot to many, many people.

modded46
06-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by black13

wow, this is so much nicer and yet only 3 mil? I've seen some at around that price in calgary and they are garbage compared to that.

Ridiculous isn't it?? :dunno:

600cc's
06-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Had the opportunity to meet Mr. Balm a couple times at work great guy always a pleasure to chat with him:thumbsup:

kongaj
06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by demosticgarbage
I was told that Alfred Balm, is a modern day scam artist who defrauded many investors with his operations of fracmaster. does anyone know his business activities?

Yea. To an extent...
Apparently the company was going under pretty fast so he sold it... making way more money than the company was worth.
And according to my Opa he owns Kicking Horse Resort in Golden.