PDA

View Full Version : looking to get home renovated

samo147
06-11-2008, 12:00 AM
hey im looking to get a home renovated
would like to just start with a washroom and if all goes well would like to get kitchen renovated as well.

the washroom itself is pretty small 8.5' x 5'
and want everything gutted and new shower, toilet, ceiling fan and sink.

I was wondering if anyone had any contractors or renovation companies they could recommend.

Also, can anyone give me a ballpark price this would cost me?

Thanks

project240
06-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Very tough to say without actually seeing it first. Obviously you're choices will have a big impact on the final cost, but you should be planning for $8000+.

PHX
06-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Most fullbaths will run you $8,000 - $10,000 (depending on finishing materials) through a contractor.

barmanjay
06-14-2008, 09:21 PM
I used to general contract/reno,.. baths - complete gut and reno starts at 8g's for something basic, and don't expect high end pieces.

JAYMEZ
06-14-2008, 09:33 PM
What type of stuff are you looking for? Moen , Kohler , Arts and bath? What style are going for?

Have you shopped around? Are you also doing flooring? Tile or laminate?

samo147
06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the ballparks everyone.

Probably some lower cost Moen faucets but nothing stylish since it wont suit the rest of our house. That and I think higher quality faucets would be worth the money. Yes, flooring as well probably just some non-slip tile.

I have shopped around a bit. Tired calling a few contractors who never got back to me for a quote. Got one asian contractor quoted 5000 something but thats probably without permits or anything.

Also looking at some Renomark contractors.

Anyone have recommendations for contractors that worked on their house and were satisfied with the work?

project240
06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Unless you're planning on moving/changing the existing plumbing/electrical or structure, you may not need any. Sounds like just a remodel to me...

MR_PIMP
06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
you might not need permits if your just remodeling a bit :dunno:

tm.88
06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
watching Holmes on Homes i learned to never go with the cheapest contractor and never the most expensive. Typically the cheapest will either
A) re quote you half way done or
B) do a shotty job
the most expensive is typically someone who is busy and doesnt have time, so if you bite his bait he has no problem.

My 0.02

Whiley
06-18-2008, 12:56 PM
dont go by just how expensive or inexpensive a contractor is, many decent & modest independent contractors do good work, but don't charge an arm & leg

go by

- references

- pictures of past work (ask for some)

- knowledge & information given up front, does he share what is the right and wrong way to go about the work

- check on required permits yourself
its easy to call the city and inquire, as it is truly the homeowners responsibility to know (dont just leave it up to the contractor as your source of information)

- get everything in writing (signed copies for each of you) before any work begins (no matter what)
desribe clearly what is all included in bid for work, pricing & who is responsible for materials, etc.

- personally, if the contractor doesnt have a Ltd company registered, then i ask for ID
seems odd at first, but i want to write down on my written agreement, his address and proper name (possibly DR license # also), so that i can track him down should things go wrong

- lastly, unless a contractor has a registered business with GST number, DO NOT pay any of the labor $ in advance

it's okay to front cost of materials, i prefer to bring the homeowner a pre-invoice from the store, to show actual costs will be

if a contractor can not or will not supply this information, then pass on them & keep looking

Originally posted by tm.88
watching Holmes on Homes i learned to never go with the cheapest contractor and never the most expensive. Typically the cheapest will either
A) re quote you half way done or
B) do a shotty job
the most expensive is typically someone who is busy and doesnt have time, so if you bite his bait he has no problem.

My 0.02