PDA

View Full Version : Swapping out an auto trans for a manual?

Canmorite
06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
On a 2000 Subaru Legacy. Anyone know how expensive this is to do? (Roughly). Any help appreciated.

sr20s14zenki
06-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Not too hard depending on veichle. Usually youll need tranny, different driveshaft, clutch pedal, master, slave, hard line, and some elbow grease. Gotta figure out the wiring for tranny reverse sensor and neutral sensor. Sometimes there will be a thing that locks the key into the ignition until its in park, wont let you turn it off and what not, gotta look into what kinda system it uses. Im speaking from a 240sx point of view, and that was easy on my s14

Canmorite
06-11-2008, 07:26 PM
I definitely wouldn't be doing it myself, I'm not that mechanically inclined. Any idea what shops charge for this?

mazdavirgin
06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
I definitely wouldn't be doing it myself, I'm not that mechanically inclined. Any idea what shops charge for this?

Buy a new car that is not automatic. You are going to pay far too much to get this done...

AE92_TreunoSC
06-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Buy a new car that is not automatic. You are going to pay far too much to get this done...

agreed, I havent even heard of many shops that will even do it

it simply does not make any sense

On a lot of cars, a new wiring harness and computer is in order. That alone is enough hindrance not to do it.

Canmorite
06-11-2008, 09:23 PM
It is so hard to find the car I'm looking for in manual. I have found some in the states, but total costs to get it over here and registered is ~$3000.00.

mark4091
06-11-2008, 09:40 PM
It's going to cost a lot, and not worth it.

1-Bar
06-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by mark4091
It's going to cost a lot, and not worth it.

my thoughts exactly....haha and I did it too on my 2000 Prelude. Don't forget: clutch, flywheel, gear shift assembly, optional new manual cluster, possible rear/side engine mount, ecu......unless some else has done this and made a decent thread/website on it, I wouldn't recommend it unless it was a fun project.....

ruffryder
06-11-2008, 11:13 PM
i got a 5sp conversion done on my 240 from autodream, it took a long time to get done but i paid 2gs.. with brand new lines from nissan and new clutch and short shifter.. without those it was only about 1100... im not too sure about a subie tho. i think its definatly worth doing if u dont plan on keeping your car. if not save urself the hastle and find urself a factory 5sp.

rc2002
06-11-2008, 11:31 PM
You can't beat the way they were put together at the factory. Even if you have all the right parts and tools, and you didn't have to rig anything to work (i.e. drill your own holes to mount the master cylinder), it just won't be the same.

It would be well worth your money to spend the extra money because you'll spend close to that on the swap anyway.

Canmorite
06-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll just keep searching for one with a manual tranny...