PDA

View Full Version : Fairlady

VG30DETT_23
06-11-2008, 09:26 PM
I bought a 1990 Nissan fairlady about 4 months ago as a project car. It didn’t run but I didn’t much car cuz as I said it was a project car. They guy I got it from live locally. He said the he blew the engine by over revving it buy going from fifth to fourth too quickly. The interior needs some work as the leather has started to crack and some one had some gauges installed that look horrible. The rear quarter panels had a few dents. So about a week or two ago I began tearing into the thing. Now I don’t have any experice with imports, but I do have I strong back ground in domestics, a car is a car right. In the process of stripping the car down I have come across some things that make me shake my head. I don’t know who did them or why but its seem really stupid to me. I have come across a number of hose that have been cut and plugged with a bolt! I am not able to figure out where they go. Also I notice that the gauges that were installed were not hooked up to anything the sensors were just tucked in behind the battery. And never take your car to best buy to get it wired! The wiring job sucked, there are screws and trim missing from the front panels, and they just draped the amp wires over the back seat. And to top it all off, the piece that covers the ECU was replaced with a chunk of wood and had Velcro striped glued to the carpet to hold it in place. Insted of putting the door speakers back in the original spot they just cut a hole and stuck them in.

I just don’t know why some one would do this kind of thing to such a nice car. I just don’t get. Has any one else had stuff like this done to a car they bought?

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/vg30dett_23/300zx/IMG_0701.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/vg30dett_23/300zx/IMG_0693.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/vg30dett_23/300zx/IMG_0751.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/vg30dett_23/300zx/IMG_0750.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/vg30dett_23/300zx/IMG_0736.jpg

Kloubek
06-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Looks to me like the vaccum lines were removed to make way for a manual boost controller? I had extra lines when I modded my Talon...

finboy
06-11-2008, 10:32 PM
cheap cars = ghetto mods, welcome to owning right hand drive :dunno:

xLostx
06-11-2008, 10:52 PM
not the best project car unless you got baller cash or actually know the insides and outs of those fucked up engines

ShadowDragonx
06-11-2008, 11:49 PM
good luck, those engine bays have almost no room to work with

3rd picture looks like a temp sending unit for a manual coolant temp gauge?

ZyaL8R
06-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by finboy
cheap cars = ghetto mods, welcome to owning right hand drive :dunno:

Fail. The location of the steering wheel doesn't make a car cheap. Previous owners do.

The guy that imported this z32 probably payed 4k at the most for it.

-----------
To the OP:

I can guarantee you don't blow a VG30DETT by "Downshifting from 5th to 4th".

#1: Stuff rags in your intake pipes before something gets in there. :P

#2: That piece of vacuum hoze you're holding (6mm) runs to the right side turbo. It's an intake line. I have no idea why it's capped off like that, it goes into a T connection just underneath the discharge pipe. You won't be able to see the T-line unless you remove the discharge pipe coming off the turbo. You'll also be able to hear the hiss with the engine on I'm sure, you've probably got a massive vacuum leak.

#3: Did you know you have an N/A bumper for a TT? Your intercoolers might not be getting enough air. There are baffles in the front of the TT fascia that you don't have. I'd bet this car was originally an N/A, and then swapped -- Very poorly - in japan? *edit* Actually, more likely the original bumper was just damaged and replaced with the wrong kind - You've got the HICAS solenoid installed properly with all the hardlines. Either way, something to think about.

#4: That loose sensor in the battery tray goes to one of your gauges I bet. Probably a coolant temp sensor.

And #5: That wood panel covering the ECU is correct. That's the floorboard.

Oh #6 HOLY SHIT fix your main ground cable! It's frayed to hell.

PM me some more questions and I'll answer em. Or come by 300zxclub.com, you probably won't get much help from the Honduh ricer crew beyond has.

http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi
^^ This is the Factory Service Manual for the Z32 btw. Bet it'll come in handy, it does for me all the time.

-Z

finboy
06-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by ZyaL8R

Fail. The location of the steering wheel doesn't make a car cheap.

so 15 year old jdm cars aren't cheap? why do you think the average age of a rhd owner is around 19?

gretz
06-12-2008, 01:10 PM
thats some pretty good fact about age and RHD cars:thumbsdow
if you think because a car is 15+ years old it makes it cheap:thumbsdow
Why is the average age 'around' 19? because young people aren't intelligent - they only buy cheap jdm cars??

Ill go buy a 1992 eg6 for 4500 (>100000kms), you go buy a 2000 sunfire with the same kilo. What is the cheaper car

finboy
06-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by gretz
thats some pretty good fact about age and RHD cars:thumbsdow
if you think because a car is 15+ years old it makes it cheap:thumbsdow
Why is the average age 'around' 19? because young people aren't intelligent - they only buy cheap jdm cars??

Ill go buy a 1992 eg6 for 4500 (>100000kms), you go buy a 2000 sunfire with the same kilo. What is the cheaper car

if you are paying 4500 for a '92 civic, you are paying too much, if you are buying a sunfire you are just foolish.

look around beyond for threads on jdm cars and their drivers, they are cheap cars, predominantly bought by young kids who can't afford to blow a ton on a car, and as such, can't afford to blow a ton on quality parts/instillation.

if you want proof, go browse through the beyond marketplace, ghetto mods all over the place.

gretz
06-12-2008, 03:53 PM
learning takes time and practice - you never start the best
- you are missing it, should "kids" walk until they can afford a fancy car or work with what they have and can afford??
A 92 jdm eg6 for 5000 is almost as good as any compact domestic car for 10000

finboy
06-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by gretz
learning takes time and practice - you never start the best
- you are missing it, should "kids" walk until they can afford a fancy car or work with what they have and can afford??
A 92 jdm eg6 for 5000 is almost as good as any compact domestic car for 10000

ideally they should not buy ghetto mods first, be patient and buy proper parts/look up how to install things properly. countless threads have been posted on here about ghetto mods gone wrong, or parts installed wrong breaking.

as per domestic vs. import, laughable at best, that argument has been shot down more times then any other topic on beyond.

Toms-SC
06-12-2008, 04:10 PM
I would help derail this thing but FinBoy did a good job on his own. Grats buddy! :D

Stunt66
06-12-2008, 04:23 PM
you shouldn't have to walk until you can buy a nice car but you also shouldn't take the money you have and buy a turbo jdm whatever instead of a slower more reliable local car. The problem with jdm's is youngins think why buy a stock car when i can buy a turbo'd rhd for the same money. kids are spending 10 k on average and ending up with total POS and come on here complaining about it after driving it for awhile.

HoTTNiXX
06-12-2008, 04:36 PM
It's a good idea to try to not ask questions about the 300s here. Go to 300zxclub.com like stated.

Like ZyaL8R said, the car didn't blow from over revving. These engines are made to rev to hell. Vaccuum leak owned you for sure.

Good luck!

finboy
06-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
I would help derail this thing but FinBoy did a good job on his own. Grats buddy! :D

08's need to know the search function better

Originally posted by Stunt66
you shouldn't have to walk until you can buy a nice car but you also shouldn't take the money you have and buy a turbo jdm whatever instead of a slower more reliable local car. The problem with jdm's is youngins think why buy a stock car when i can buy a turbo'd rhd for the same money. kids are spending 10 k on average and ending up with total POS and come on here complaining about it after driving it for awhile.

pretty much

i have friends with rhd cars. they bought extremely good examples, very low mileage, STOCK cars that weren't shit beat by the time they got here. THEN they put quality parts and quality time into installing those parts, and it shows.