PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Mitsubishi Ralliart first drive

Aleks
06-12-2008, 08:33 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=127026?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1

237hp 253tq and no third pedal. I am guessing about $37-38K for this one. Hope Mitsu doesn't set insane rates on it like they do on the EVO.

edit: My 09 TSX thread went 7 pages. Lets see what happens here. LOL.

schocker
06-12-2008, 08:49 AM
I like the car alot. Shares a ton of components with the EVO, hopefully priced similarly with the WRX, and has the SST available. I am waiting to see though if they do eventually throw in the 5spd giving the choice as there have been rumors that it could possibly still come. Overall though a large improvement over the last ralliart:rofl:

nj2Type-S
06-12-2008, 08:51 AM
the last ralliart was a joke! this new ralliart would be something that i may consider. my godfather who works at platinum keeps bugging me about it so i may just have to take one for a rip when it comes. :D

a social dsease
06-12-2008, 08:53 AM
I like it. Seems like it shares quite a few components with the EVO and will give the WRX a serious run in that price range. It would be nice if it had a manual transmission though. Either way I'm glad Mitsu is finally starting to sell some decent cars in Canada, their lineup has been almost as boring as toyota's for the last few years.

Aleks
06-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I doubt this car will be priced in the WRX range. It will be more expensive. If I am wrong and the base price is 32-33 grand that will be a hell of a deal.

My guess is WRX line expands to include a WRX-GT or something in between the current WRX and STI, to compete with this car

SilverRex
06-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
I doubt this car will be priced in the WRX range. It will be more expensive. If I am wrong and the base price is 32-33 grand that will be a hell of a deal.

My guess is WRX line expands to include a WRX-GT or something in between the current WRX and STI, to compete with this car

WRX GT? where did u hear this? or are you just taking a guess. I think the WRX and STI gap is just fine, having another model just complicate things, we already have the subaru RS for non performenece 25k, WRX 35K and STI 45k

if the ralliart is upper 30, you might as well save a few thousand more for the evo GSR 41.5k which IMO looks better than the MR edition

if they want to take over the market, I think the ralliart should be priced the same as the wrx if not a tad lower, then you will see wrx sales plunge.

lets see

Lancer is 16-22k
ralliart is ?? (I say 34-35)
evo GSR is 42k
evo MR is 47k

subaru impreza is 20-25k
wrx is 34k
sti is 45k

Aleks
06-12-2008, 09:34 AM
It's just a guess on my part. Maybe you're right. They should just fix the current WRX, give it fender flares again, bump the power, and what's up with the 4 speed auto option? :confused:

SilverRex
06-12-2008, 09:40 AM
^
yeah the 4 speed auto is a joke, I believe the reason they have that option is because of demand, then again the funniest part is I hear on forums how people with the 4 speed auto is trying looking for ways to lanuch the car holding it above 3000 rpm. I mean they wanted to get the car to launch faster.

and to my experience the auto makes the car slow as hell. I mean if your paying 35k and buy an auto, you might as well just pay 25k and buy the base model impreza. the whole point for a wrx is performence.

spyce
06-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Definitely better than the previous Ralliart lol
And if its priced the same as a WRX, I would definitely take this over it. Too bad theres no manual tranny though :(

msommers
06-12-2008, 09:43 AM
That giant grill looks like an excited hooker. Everything else is nice though!

SilverRex
06-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by spyce
Definitely better than the previous Ralliart lol
And if its priced the same as a WRX, I would definitely take this over it. Too bad theres no manual tranny though :(

if you want manual shoot for the GSR,

I think the standard dual clutch is great, because trust me, just as many want a manual, alot of people actually perfers a semi auto.

now looking at the numbers 250lb torque sounds like alot but it will be lucky if it can match wrx's performence considering it is heavier.

if the wrx can pull around 5.7 sec and mazdaspeed 3 is 5.9
then would it be safe to assume the ralliart will be between that 5.8? based on how the article explains it.

its strange, because the evo can pull 5 sec flat I think, and having 50 less lb of torque shouldnt drop its performence by 8th of a second. It would make sense on paper if it were to pull around 5.5 secs 0-60 with a 14 sec flat quarter mile

SilverRex
06-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by msommers
That giant grill looks like an excited hooker. Everything else is nice though!

yeah I agree I forgot to mention everything is nice except the grill and the worse part that chrome ring looks like a bitch to get rid off.

heavyD
06-12-2008, 12:09 PM
I question if Mitsubishi can match WRX pricing with the TC-SST included in the package. It is supposed to be the best of the dual clutch transmissions available right now so that would make it a hell of a deal. If the price is right though the Ralliart will be tough to beat as you get EVO pedigree, turbo AWD that can handle like a RWD car if you desire in a daily driver.

tawheed
06-14-2008, 01:59 AM
I think the Mitsu (seeming to be more tail happy) now almost becomes the car of choice in this segment.. Can't wait to drive one..

cityhunter2501
06-14-2008, 09:00 AM
I was planning to get a 2009 RA but since they don't offer a 5speed trans I think I'll have to reconsider between the GSR or WRX again :cry:

Aleks
06-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
I was planning to get a 2009 RA but since they don't offer a 5speed trans I think I'll have to reconsider between the GSR or WRX again :cry:

Why settle for the second best transmission?

DRKM
06-14-2008, 03:45 PM
People don't seem to get that these autos are not at all like the automatics we grew up on. These things shift in less than a second. They are entirely prefomance oriented.

dino_martini
06-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I like it. Finally Ralliart means something.

heavyD
06-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501

The TC-SST is one of the best transmissions in the world today. You would serve yourself well to try it before you dismiss it.

Kavy
06-15-2008, 09:36 PM
I hope this comes out of the gate with less problems then previous mitsu's lets be honest people buy subbies over mitsu's because they don't start falling apart when you mod them.

I would honestly find it hard for this car to compete performance wise aftermarket taken into effect with a wrx, looks wise the mitsu has the wrx beat hands down.

cityhunter2501
06-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by DRKM
People don't seem to get that these autos are not at all like the automatics we grew up on. These things shift in less than a second. They are entirely prefomance oriented.

its not the faster shifting that I'm after, its the playing with clutch/transmission that I'm after.
I get bored easily driving an auto/tiptronic

heavyD
06-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
I hope this comes out of the gate with less problems then previous mitsu's lets be honest people buy subbies over mitsu's because they don't start falling apart when you mod them.

Are you serious? The EVO VIII & IX's are build like a rock. There's a reason Turbo Magazine and SCC have pages of 500 - 1000 HP EVO's and rearely an STI in the same talk.

BTW WRX's and STI's have their share of chronic issues.

heavyD
06-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Not sure why people perceive Subaru's to be high quality. Apparently the new WRX and STI's have dimestore paint:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2008-sti-discussion/112713-2008-sti-paint-chipping-thread-now-including-impreza-wrx.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429111

That's horrible.:thumbsdow Nobody talks too much here about the 2.5L engine problem either.

Eleanor
06-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

WTF are you talking about?!?!? The 4g63 is a bulletproof engine :rofl: