PDA

View Full Version : Ducati as a first bike?

ApexDrift
06-12-2008, 10:27 AM
So I’ve heard this urban legend about it being a bad idea to get a Ducati as a first bike, something bout a noob not being able to ride it properly or something. So what makes a Ducati monster 600cc different from a CBR or a GSXR 600cc bike? I really don’t know…

I would understand the fact that you wouldn’t want to drop your Ducati and being a noob most likely will… can anybody shed some light on this?

Anyone know of any other naked bikes that look as sexy as the monster? Maybe something cheaper?

thx!

Carlton
06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
if you drop it, its gonna be a bigger deal ahaha...

bigboom
06-12-2008, 10:33 AM
a ducati monster is no different from any other bike. its a decent riding position, not crazy on power. most people that say that are most likely referring to their superbikes, 1098, 848 which have a very aggressive riding position and steering inputs are so touchy too.

the monster you will be fine with as a first bike.

gretz
06-12-2008, 10:47 AM
even the larger cc monsters are dogs - my friend at Terminal Velocity in Ontario (best ducati guys) thought the monster was lazy and didn't sound particularly nice compared to an r6, f4i, gsxr... i havn't got on a monster, this is just what i was told

Ntense_SpecV
06-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ApexDrift

Anyone know of any other naked bikes that look as sexy as the monster? Maybe something cheaper?

thx!

The only other bike that I was considering was the Suzuki SV650...but even then it takes some modifications right out of the box to make it look sexy. But at least it's a lot cheaper so you can save the money and put that into the bike or back in your pocket.

gretz
06-12-2008, 11:07 AM
dont wheelie the sv, the oil doesnt like to make it the the right places

Stunt66
06-12-2008, 11:11 AM
The monster 600 would make a really good noob bike. I've ridden the monster 800 and it was very comfortable and easy to ride. The 600 monster's power should be really easy to handle too. The only thing is parts and service for the ducati will be more than your run of the mill brand.

bigboom
06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Stunt66
The monster 600 would make a really good noob bike. I've ridden the monster 800 and it was very comfortable and easy to ride. The 600 monster's power should be really easy to handle too. The only thing is parts and service for the ducati will be more than your run of the mill brand.

+1...unless you got a hard on for the monster then i wouldnt buy one as decati maintenance will definitely cost you a LOT more.

Masked Bandit
06-12-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with a Ducati as a first bike.

:dunno:

gretz
06-12-2008, 11:25 AM
expensive - thats the only down i can realistically see. If it is your first bike - you'll likely have to repair/replace lots in the first year

dimi
06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Get a cheap bike so you can fuck around, and if you drop it, you won't care that much. Because chances are you will drop it the first year, and it will be VERY expensive to fix. After a few years, get the bike you really like.

teg_boya
06-12-2008, 11:47 AM
i would personally start with an old 600 ninja or something... not naked but if you drop it :whocares:

ApexDrift
06-12-2008, 01:19 PM
thanks everyone!

khtm
06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by dimi
Get a cheap bike so you can fuck around, and if you drop it, you won't care that much. Because chances are you will drop it the first year, and it will be VERY expensive to fix. After a few years, get the bike you really like.
:thumbsup:

Kobe
06-12-2008, 05:09 PM
only buy a ducati if you are going to buy a 1098 for your first one...
BRAND SPANKING NEW!!

bituerbo
06-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Problem as already stated - when you drop it (not if) you're looking at more money to fix, and lesser availability of used parts. There are a ton of GSXR-600/CBR600RR plastics that are in perfect condition that were only taken off to install race fairings - you're not going to find that kind of support if you get any kind of duc.

Take a look at the MT-01 by Yamaha or the 599 from Honda.
(the 599 is essentially a naked F4i that was still produced up until a few years back, with great top-end power, where the MT-01 is a torque happy V-twin).

Supa Dexta
06-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Most guy's I've ever met on ducati's were try hard's.. That thought they were better bikers just because they had a more expensive bike. Some were ok, but for the most part = poseurrr's...

AE92_TreunoSC
06-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm planning on a monster 600 for my first bike.

Fell in love with them a few years back, and they meet the needs of what I want in a bike.

Spoons
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Waste of money in my opinion.

I won't even go into power reason and blah blah blah for first bikes with this, but I mean you are dropping a lot more money on a bike that I can GUARANTEE you will drop more than once, and it will not be cheap to fix.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-12-2008, 06:42 PM
I dont think anyone should learn on a new bike lol, at least not their own :D

CLiVE
06-12-2008, 10:35 PM
A monster 620, 695, or 696 would make a great first bike. They are easy to control power wise, have a low step over height, no fairings so if you do drop it repairs won't be as expensive, and an upright riding position. Ducati maintenance is expensive, but not that bad on the monster compared to the superbikes. Go for it.

Also consider finding a good used monster. There are quite a few out there for sale that will save you a bundle.

Even consider an 800. You will be happier with it longer term, and should be fine with the power. Great bikes, and you can't beat the sound!

BlueGoblin
06-13-2008, 08:37 AM
I personally do not understand those who insist you will drop your bike as a new rider. Of the group of 5 guys that I started riding with, only one had the sterotypical new rider drop; grabbed a mittfull of front brake on gravel. One other went down on some spilled diesel on an offramp about 2 years into riding. The other three of us have never dropped our streetbikes (dirt, of course is a different matter.). that being said, we were never into stunting, We all did the Safety Council Course, all ride AGATT (excepting jeans in the city), use pilot's rule for drinking and riding (min. 8 hours bottle to throttle) and I taught Safety Council as well.

The Ducati would make a fine starter machine; it isn't overly powerful, but they are a fun ride.

The one caveat I have about Ducatis is this: they tend to have very little steering lock. If you get used to riding Japanese bikes, you will find that you just can't turn a Ducati's bars as far. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you aren't used to it, during low speed riding it can grab you by surprise. The Monsters aren't as bad as the sporting bikes.

If there is only one piece of advice that I can offer, its this - do no buy a bike, especially your first bike, based on how it looks. unless of course, you are buying it to park and look at. Some people do that; they ride it to Shell or Melrose, park it, look at it, and ride home. Fine. If you are buying to ride it, make how the bike feels and fits your first priority.

I've always thought of it this way; Close your eyes and imagine yourself on your dream bike, in the perfect place for you and your dream bike.

If you imagined yourself in the first person, riding, you should probably get that bike.

If you saw yourself from a third-person perspective, looking all cool, maybe you should wait and think about it some more.

If you saw yourself standing around it parked, you should probably not ride at all.

Cowtown_Raider
06-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Most guy's I've ever met on ducati's were try hard's.. That thought they were better bikers just because they had a more expensive bike. Some were ok, but for the most part = poseurrr's...

Did you meet these Ducati guys at the Shell on 17th? :thumbsup:

Clive and Bluegoblin, I agree with you guys. A Monster is super easy to ride and the 2-valve, air cooled varieties are considerably lower maintenance than the 4-valve superbike engines.

Great point about the turning radius too. Monsters are definitely better to maneuver than the sportbikes at low speed.

Also, the Duc community here in Calgary is very helpful and knowledgeable, and the ones I've met certainly are not "let's ride to the Starbucks and look cool" posers. They're hardcore, passionate riders that take great pride in their machines and often do their own maintenance.

Stunt66
06-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Whatever you do ApexDrift don't ever hang out at that shell on 17th. Everytime I go by there's always losers sitting there. What kind of fag would hang out at a gas station?

rony_espana
06-13-2008, 10:37 AM
This sounds like a good deal....I think:

http://www.calgarymotorsports.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=181&cntnt01origid=57&cntnt01detailtemplate=detail_inventory&cntnt01returnid=63

I know a guy who bought an 848 as a 2nd bike, and he dropped it 3 days after buying.

Graham_A_M
06-13-2008, 05:19 PM
^ thats a fairly good deal, make SURE you get the service records. Otherwise good luck selling it if you ever decide too. Poorly maintened Duc = potential hell for prospective buyers.

SilverStreak
06-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Nah, forget a Duc for your first bike. These things just rattle, look amazing, loud, and darn right annoying when everyone comments how nice they are :D

You're better off getting a CBR600RR that has the new ABS brake system, grab as much break as you want :D

Whatever you do, don't get an 848, everyone and their dog has one, plus the pearl white is just ghey! :D

GQBalla
06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
the new 600rr with abs is still a prototype

Go4Long
06-13-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure about that calgary motorsports place...I've heard some reports that they seem pretty shady...

bignerd
06-16-2008, 09:14 PM
I find the best way to find the bike you want is to sit on a bunch of them and see what feels the best. Every bike is going to fit everyone a little different and just cause it looks good does not mean it is good for you. For your first bike I do not see noting wrong wiht getting a Ducati monster, but like a few others have said they are pricy to maintain. Friend of mine has a monster and he loves it, but his only complaint is how often he takes it in for little things.

I think a good alternative is a sv 650 or a ninja 650 both are similar in that they are twins but I think the cost will be alot lower.