PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Patio - Cost for exposed agrregate or stamped concrete?

sputnik
06-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Looking to get a 14x14 square patio in my backyard. The property is very level and easy to access. Nothing compicated required. Just a square concrete patio

I would like exposed aggregate or stamped concrete.

Can anyone recommend a good contractor?

What is the going rate for jobs like this?

Might also be nice to have steps (2) poured. But thats not necessary.

A790
06-12-2008, 11:38 AM
For stamped you can expect to pay upwards of $12/foot.

3clips3
06-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Un-do your pants and bend over... you can expect over $17/sq ft for exposed and that may.

blueToy
06-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Call Mario at Concrete Innovations .

http://www.concreteinnovations.ca/

Or , call Mike or Louis Greco @

http://www.grecoandsonconcrete.com/mainpage1.html

Greco and Son Concrete . Arguably the best concrete man in town . Still totally passionate about concrete after 25 years in business ( actually it started with Louis's father in the 50's ) and he has a remarkable eye for perfection . He is booked solid till August though , so if you are looking for more then just a splash and dash , you'd best be calling for a quote soon .

sputnik
06-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by 3clips3
Un-do your pants and bend over... you can expect over $17/sq ft for exposed and that may.

I dunno about you... but I keep my money in my wallet.

sputnik
09-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Anyone know anyone that is available this late in the season?

Redline_13000 isn't answering my PMs.

clem24
09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Generally, from what I can gather when asking around, not very many contractors will come and just pour a patio. They usually need a whole crew up there so it's not worth it just for that. You usually band with some neighbours, or have some other jobs for them. I dunno, maybe just the ones I spoke with.

Lex350
09-03-2008, 08:53 AM
^ that is true of the larger firms because this is the time of year when it gets busy again if the company does a lot of residential work. They have the home builders getting after them to get basements and driveways in before the frost comes.

The cost for your exposed concrete will also differ if they do a "wash" or a sandblast to take the top coat off. If you get exposed it is also nice to throw a tiny bit of color in too. My Dad just redid his and added a tint of black. It looks fantastic.

sputnik
04-07-2009, 08:07 AM
BUMP!

Never got around to getting the patio done last year. Contractors were REALLY busy last summer.

I am thinking most guys will be a LOT slower this summer.

Anyone recommend a concrete contractor for a backyard patio?

Probably going to go with a tinted exposed aggregate patio.

Thanks.

urban.one
04-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Not wanting to start a new thread. Ive got about 15 feet of front sidewalk I need redone. Anyone know of a contractor willing to so such a small job? Id like exposed aggregate as well.

sputnik
04-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
BUMP!

Never got around to getting the patio done last year. Contractors were REALLY busy last summer.

I am thinking most guys will be a LOT slower this summer.

Anyone recommend a concrete contractor for a backyard patio?

Probably going to go with a tinted exposed aggregate patio.

Thanks.

Bump.

Anyone?

aznexec
05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
BUMP it up?

I am also looking for someone to do my concrete patio in the back... not a big job 100-125 sq Ft.

Getting some estimates as it looks like the contractors have some cycles right now...

sputnik...did you have any luck?

sputnik
05-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Hassan (redline_13000) is doing my patio next week.

www.hascon.ca

I'll post pictures and a review when he is done.

aznexec
05-14-2009, 04:28 PM
wow you tracked him down thanks!

Cool I'll give him a call to make an appointment for an estimate.

aznexec
06-02-2009, 02:17 PM
An update...168sq. ft brushed, rounded corners.... Got mine done by Sam from Q Con Construction (Part of the BBB): http://qconconstruction.com/

He had lots of references...was on time, as quoted, clean (landscape/grass was fine and they left the jobsite clean) and were courteous.

There are a lot of guys out there looking to do concrete work for dirt cheap now (as it's quite competitive right now for work) but you can't be too sure about their quality (most with the lowest quotes had no photos or recent references).

From my several quotes, Sams was not the cheapest but was very competitive/reasonable (much less then the high end quotes I was getting and not far enough off to take the risk on a more unknown contractor). Do your DD, my experience with Sam was great.

His # is: 403-630-0622

Not sure if it will help any on the estimate..but feel free to say your heard of him through a recent job - Curt

gokuu
06-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Johnny's Concrete

over 30 years. part of BBB. Free estimates . excellent work. :thumbsup: 403-809-2353

theken
06-02-2009, 06:59 PM
exposed aggregate is not sand blasted or washed away, it is the type of concrete you buy, any other information on that is wrong. the concrete costs more, there is no extra steps involved

blueToy
06-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by theken
exposed aggregate is not sand blasted or washed away, it is the type of concrete you buy, any other information on that is wrong. the concrete costs more, there is no extra steps involved

Exposed is not a different type of concrete , unless you order a special stone such as Rocky Mountain Round . After placing and rough finishing , you let it set until it firms up a bit , then pressure wash the surface ' exposing ' the rock in the mix . Takes way longer then say a broom finish .

As for contractors , I talked to Louis at Greco and Son and he's fully booked for the year already . He's never been busier . Go figure :dunno:

sputnik
06-03-2009, 07:33 AM

LOL

:facepalm:

theken
06-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Call Lafarge and ask them for their exposed rock concrete. They sell it. I have poured it and seen then final result in a wal with no finishing. Guess what happens? Anybody

leutyc
06-03-2009, 08:00 AM
I am currently paying $14 / Sq/ft for exposed. I was quotes $10 for brushed and ABOUT $18 for stamped.

theken
06-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Has any of you guys considered colored and stamped? Color looks awesome like brownstone with a stamp looks amazing but the color is pricey

Kloubek
06-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by leutyc
I am currently paying $14 / Sq/ft for exposed. I was quotes $10 for brushed and ABOUT $18 for stamped.

That seems pretty reasonable. Can you please let me know who is doing this? I will need a patio next summer.

Also, are they able to directly access your backyard? I fear with my place they will not be able to reach it, and will need to wheelbarrow it to the back of the house. (Unless they have a real long extension...)

Also, how does this cost relate in comparison to a basic deck? After our house is built, we may not have a huge drop and can probably have either. If it is around the same price, I'd probably be inclined to go with a deck instead...

s_havinga
06-03-2009, 09:54 AM
contact chad at 542-1089 tell him you got his number from Stephen, He should be able to get you in.

aznexec
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

That seems pretty reasonable. Can you please let me know who is doing this? I will need a patio next summer.

Also, are they able to directly access your backyard? I fear with my place they will not be able to reach it, and will need to wheelbarrow it to the back of the house. (Unless they have a real long extension...)

Also, how does this cost relate in comparison to a basic deck? After our house is built, we may not have a huge drop and can probably have either. If it is around the same price, I'd probably be inclined to go with a deck instead...

Regarding the access...I had no back alley access as well chainlink fencing with a gate... Sam and his crew did it right - did it by wheelbarrow all the way along the side of my house (both the crushed rock and concrete). The weather was quite dry (he said not to water it for a few days before the job so as to minimize damage to the lawn....Contractors can use pumps/hoses for the concrete if extreme...

There were a few that wanted to do it by bobcat (dismantling my chainlink) to avoid the manual excavation of grass/soil, but that would have ripped up my lawn.

Sugarphreak
06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by leutyc

I paid about 14$ for stamped for work done recently

Kloubek
06-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Woah - that's even better! Who did you get this done through? And did they wheelbarrow it in?

Sugarphreak
06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Woah - that's even better! Who did you get this done through? And did they wheelbarrow it in?

2013 UPDATE: Pretty sure these guys went bust, the last few people who tried to get a hold of them found the phone disconnected

A790
06-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I didn't see them pour the concrete, I was at work. I don't know if they brought in a truck or not, but I assume they had to mix it on site because it was a colored concrete.

I don't know if that is thier standard pricing, but that is what it worked out to in the end. They also did demolition of some old cracked concrete, about 150sq/ft demolished & removed for 500$.

It was very proffesional, they dug out a bit and brought in proper sub base material, then tamped it down. They also made the sides nice and thick. They used 10mm rebar at 16x24 which is sufficient for residential & a 30mpa two-tone color concrete.

The nominal thickness was about 4" throughout, my pad was about 185sq/ft in total.

They sent a guy out the next day to seal everything in, the final result was really nice.

They did fantastic work and they have the most competive prices around.

PM me if you want the name & number
There are two types of colored concrete: integral color, where the color is mixed in (resulting in concrete that is the same color throughout), and color hardener, which is poured on top of concrete (resulting in a 1" thick layer of color, or so). Hardener could be applied easily to concrete that was wheelbarrowed in.

blueToy
06-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Call Lafarge and ask them for their exposed rock concrete. They sell it. I have poured it and seen then final result in a wal with no finishing. Guess what happens? Anybody

How much is it per meter ? Works on sidewalks and patios as well ?
Where and when did it get poured exactly ? I'll ask Salarno about it tomorrow .

theken
06-04-2009, 11:59 AM
its expensive, don't know cost per meter, the guy i poured the concrete with did a wall, and he took some into the back for a sidewalk, i have seen the wall, its is applewood and looks like exposed concrete to me

theken
06-04-2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.exposedaggregateconcrete.com/ this site explains ways to finish exposed, none of them involve pressure washing, cause i don't know, water does weaken concrete, and if you are "pressure washing" the dry coating of the top, the bottom is still wet, now you are adding water to wet concrete and will have the shittiest finish you have ever seen.

The exposed concrete you BUY has the chemicals in it already

blueToy
06-04-2009, 11:46 PM
http://www.exposedaggregateconcrete.com/ this site explains ways to finish exposed, none of them involve pressure washing, cause i don't know, water does weaken concrete, and if you are "pressure washing" the dry coating of the top, the bottom is still wet, now you are adding water to wet concrete and will have the shittiest finish you have ever seen.

The exposed concrete you BUY has the chemicals in it already

From your site :

3 ways to finish exposed concrete . Apply retarder and wash , etch with acid or sandblast it .
When you do the first one ( retarder/wash ) , which most contractors do , you apply the retarder and let it sit for a while ( depends on sun/shade, temperature and humidity ) then wash it off . You can use just a hose/nozzle with a tough bristle brush or broom , and scrub away , or , especially if its set up fast , pressure wash off the top layer . No scrubbing ,or a lot less .

As for it weakening the concrete ? Nope , and I'll leave it at that . And as for adding water will make it look shitty ? Come on ... your pulling my leg here . You a driver for Lafarge by chance ?

theken
06-05-2009, 11:10 AM
you don't think water weakens concrete? especially when the concrete is not dry yet? I have a giant concrete book if your interested in learning some things.

blueToy
06-05-2009, 07:17 PM
you don't think water weakens concrete? especially when the concrete is not dry yet? I have a giant concrete book if your interested in learning some things.

Hey you've got a book ... good for you . I'm trying to not make this a shit-show , but I can take you to hundreds of washed exposed jobs in Calgary that are still unblemished and show no signs of being weak . Patios , sidewalks , driveways , walls , even counter tops , all washed and still as good as they should be In my immediate family , 2 brother-in-laws and a nephew who all own their own concrete companies with over 60 plus years of experience . Plus I work for one of the largest concrete/aggregate companies in the world , going on twenty one years now .

Glad to hear you got a giant book .

Weapon_R
06-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Exposed is a particular type of concrete but there is no way you get the look you want without washing it.

blueToy
06-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Exposed is a particular type of concrete but there is no way you get the look you want without washing it.

When you order ' exposed concrete ' , you get a mix that has a better grade rock in the mix , that way , when you ' expose ' the top , the rock in the mix with the cement binder is whats left . Some companies , I think it's Rolling Mix , even have a couple of different types of stone , for different finishes . One is even a Rainbow mix , with different colors of small round rocks or pebbles really . Beauitful stuff .

Exposed concrete .

Pour like any other normal mix of concrete . Screed it . Spray retarder on it . Let it sit and set . NOW , you can do one of three things . Low pressure water hose and a hard broom with lots of scrubbing of the surface . Pressure wash it and a light brooming . Or , leave it to dry and either acid etch it or sandblast the surface . ALL of them do the same thing , which is to remove the very top skin of the mix and expose the rock . Then , a little sealer and voila , exposed concrete .

Strider
03-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Bump.

Looking to get a patio done this spring, approx 18x12 ft, regular broom finish.

Any updates (pics, prices) of some of the work mentioned in this thread?

JAYMEZ
03-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Bump as well.. In the same boat. I need some work done in my backyard.

gokuu
03-15-2010, 06:12 PM
pm me for all concrete. Over 30 years in business. Free estimates. :thumbsup:

sxtasy
03-15-2010, 07:33 PM
you don't think water weakens concrete? especially when the concrete is not dry yet? I have a giant concrete book if your interested in learning some things. Water does not harm your slab, in fact water is often used to slow the curing process thereby making it stronger. I have poured a ton of concrete and done exposed by way of retardant then washing. I would encourage you guys to try doing your exposed work yourselves, it really is quite simple. For stamped I would get a pro and make sure you check their work, I have seen some really good stamped and some really rough work.

roopi
05-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Anyone have concrete work done lately? Trying to get an idea of the current sq ft cost of stamped concrete.

Coleus
05-20-2013, 01:33 AM
i got quote for 18 per sq ft.

I also need some concrete done. Anyone know which does a good job with reasonable rate?

nickyh
05-21-2013, 09:51 AM
I paid $5,000 for ~200 sq. feet. I got my money out of it though, I watched it get ripped up as they had to re-do it.
They nearly had to rip it out a second time.....

Extra cost came from concrete stairs and we added colour to it.

While our contractor did make us happy in the end, i would not recommend them as this took about two/three months of delays.

KRyn
05-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Have used these guys before and the quality of work was great.

nrgconcrete.com/

BigBearWest
05-22-2013, 01:35 AM
We can do any work you need. PM for details.

Steelbottle
08-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Hello, just wanted to say I usually just lurk these forums but I signed up because I took aznexec's advice and went with Q Con construction for my stamped patio earlier this year. Sam was professional and my patio is amazing. His price was not the cheapest but I got what I paid for with the quality. I'm getting lots of compliments from my neighbours as well and one has even hired them to do their sidewalk. I did check out a bunch of others contractors but Sam's references all recommend him. I wanted something that would last for years and still look new, and the one guys concrete from 5 years ago looked great. I'll try to update next year and let you know how it holds up!

mr2mike
08-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Gotta love a advertisement bump for a thread that's over a year old.
So you work for Q Con construction? Owner or foreman?

78si
08-17-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm using tayo construction ATM. So far so good!
:)

Lex350
08-18-2014, 09:26 AM

You are wrong there. The top "float" is done those ways. The concrete is different in terms of the rock size.

Our family owned a concrete company for 30 years.

?????
01-02-2017, 12:27 PM
BUMP.

With the holidays its hard to get a hold of anyone.

Whats the cost these days for a basic patio slab that includes labor 12'x14'...broomed, exposed, or stamped.

Any new recommendations?

gokuu
01-07-2017, 12:02 PM
You can call or text me at 403-809-2353 Dan Godard and I can help you out with a quote and suggestions. Or visit us at concretecowboys.ca