PDA

View Full Version : Mr2 info

phrozen
06-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Im looking into buying a jdm Mr2 and cant really find much info on them.... i was wondering if they are really hard to work on/upgrade parts cause of where the engine is located..
If anyone has any info from experience please let me kno

thx

Ymerej47
06-13-2008, 08:58 AM
VERY hard to work on.
If you are going to buy one make sure the timing belt is done at least even though the engine is non-interference.
This job charges roughly 10-12 hours labor alone at $116/hour
So at least save yourself $1000-1400.
Do full exhaust as one of your first mods you'll understand when you unbolt the stock one.

heavyD
06-13-2008, 12:50 PM
It's not a car for the mechanically challenged. Parts are hard to get locally or even country-wide as I've been finding. Toyota didn't skimp on these cars and the build quality is first rate but they are old cars so they are still prone to issues such as leaks, or worn out parts. Most work isn't that hard to do but certain jobs such as timing belt, turbocharger removal, or even flushing coolant are more difficult than the average car and some oil/coolant lines are pretty well inaccessible without removing alot of hardware.

Aftermarket parts aren't plentiful but there are specialized vendors in the US and some TRD & JDM parts are available as well. Try to get a stock MR2 turbo and keep some money on the side for tany unexpected repairs and you'll be fine.

The MR2 was and is a great car and it's too bad that the JDM's have flooded the market because they used to be pretty rare and exclusive.:(

rc2002
06-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
The MR2 was and is a great car and it's too bad that the JDM's have flooded the market because they used to be pretty rare and exclusive.:(

On the plus side, when these cars start getting written off by 16 year olds you'll have a good supply of used parts.

avow
06-13-2008, 06:35 PM
great cars, but you wont be able to stop pouring money into them, and not a good starter car lol. the mr2 board here on beyond or the mr2oc.com will be able to answer alot of your questions.

heavyD
06-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

On the plus side, when these cars start getting written off by 16 year olds you'll have a good supply of used parts.

Yeah some of them look like shit too. I wish the government would set up a law to keep that junk out of our country.

mr2mike
07-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Yeah some of them look like shit too. I wish the government would set up a law to keep that junk out of our country.

+1

Oh wait, thinmyster bought his in Canada.
Paint that thing already!!!

Ek9Max
07-03-2008, 03:38 PM
I've had a USDM one and now have a JDM one. I hate RHD. buy a local canadian one if you can.

These cars have NASTY blind spots if it's RHD. And insuring it sucks too.....