PDA

View Full Version : New Method of Deterring Drinking and Driving

Mixalot27
06-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Hysteria follows shock campaign

OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- On a Monday morning last month, highway patrol officers visited 20 classrooms at El Camino High School to announce some horrible news: Several students had been killed in car wrecks over the weekend.

Classmates wept.

Some became hysterical.

A few hours and many tears later, though, the pain turned to fury when the teenagers learned it was all a hoax -- a scared-straight exercise designed by school officials to dramatize the consequences of drinking and driving.

As seniors prepare for grad parties, school officials in the largely prosperous San Diego suburb are defending themselves against allegations they went too far.

At school assemblies, some students held up posters that read: "Death is real. Don't play with our emotions."

Michelle de Gracia, 16, was in physics class when an officer announced that her missing classmate David, a popular basketball player, had died after being rear-ended by a drunk driver.

She said she felt nauseated but was too stunned to cry.

"They got the shock they wanted," she said.

Some of her classmates became extremely upset, prompting the teacher to tell them immediately it was all staged.

"People started yelling at the teacher," she said.

"It was pretty hectic."

Others, including many who heard the news of the 26 deaths between classes, were left in the dark until the missing students re-appeared hours later.

"You feel betrayed by your teachers and administrators, these people you trust," said 15-year-old Carolyn Magos.

"But then I felt selfish for feeling that way, because, I mean, if it saves one life, it's worth it."

Officials at the 3,100-student school officials defended the program.

"They were traumatized, but we wanted them to be traumatized," said guidance counsellor Lori Tauber, who helped organize the shocking exercise and got dozens of students to participate. "That's how they get the message."

The plan was to tell the truth to the students at an assembly later in the day. But word that it was all a hoax began to spread before the gathering. Tauber said some counsellors revealed the truth to calm some students who had become upset.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/World/2008/06/13/5866096-sun.html

Eleanor
06-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Why don't they just actually kill off a couple of students to scare the rest of them off while they're at it?

:whipped: :banghead:

JRSC00LUDE
06-13-2008, 08:37 AM
That's dumber than the collective might of a dozen 08's.

Tomaz
06-13-2008, 08:46 AM
It's kinda like capital punishment, or giving your kids a cuff up the ear. It works.

Never have i stole a cookie from the cookie jar without asking first. Even to this day! haha

BerserkerCatSplat
06-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Hahaha, shock therapy FTW.

rmk
06-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Hello lawsuits

snowboard
06-13-2008, 10:04 AM
HAHAHAHAHA
thats so fucking mean haha holy shit.

yo i would be mad after i cried like a bitch and it was fake lol

Canmorite
06-13-2008, 10:33 PM
They did that every year at my old highschool in Banff. The only difference was that most people knew it was going to happen.

theken
06-13-2008, 10:59 PM
i think it is a good idea, bet someone is going to think twice

88jbody
06-13-2008, 11:07 PM
I think it is over the top, it could actually cause some students problems from the stress of it.

brandon
06-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I think that's a great idea.. although when it comes to drinking and driving you're usually to caught up in the element of the night to think about the events that may come from it.

hampstor
06-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
I think it is over the top, it could actually cause some students problems from the stress of it.

How is it over the top? It's the real world.

People DO frequently drink, drive and kill other people.

The kids who got hysterical about this live a life that's too sheltered by mommy and daddy.

szw
06-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

How is it over the top? It's the real world.

People DO frequently drink, drive and kill other people.

The kids who got hysterical about this live a life that's too sheltered by mommy and daddy.

Bullshit. Whats the difference between pulling some kids aside and telling them their parents are dead? Telling the parents their kids are dead? OOPS JK MY BAD

SR240SX
06-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by brandon
although when it comes to drinking and driving you're usually to caught up in the element of the night to think about the events that may come from it.

lol done it a few times?

black13
06-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Fuck it, some people these days just don't get the message these days. If this gets them to think twice about it then let it be.

Save their own and other people's lives> getting into a shock for a little bit about fake news

TomcoPDR
06-14-2008, 12:49 AM
It's just so shocking that students got fucked over by their teachers.

shirshamshir
06-14-2008, 12:51 AM
damn i want that happening to me
but i dont want to hear it
i want to be the one who gets killed
just chill at home for a few weeks
heh

or wait, nobody would cry for me anyway :(

creeper
06-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Ludicrous.

sexualbanana
06-16-2008, 01:08 AM
It has the desired effect of showing everyone the effects of drunk driving. Though I don't think it's necessarily the most ethical thing to do...

rage2
06-16-2008, 07:23 AM
I would beat the shit out of the teacher, and tell them it's a hoax.

Super_Geo
06-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I would beat the shit out of the teacher, and tell them it's a hoax.

Fuckin ethug :rofl:

spikerS
06-16-2008, 09:03 AM
i am 100% fine with what they did. *insert old cliche here* even if it stops 1 of them from drinking and driving and saves 1 life, it is well worth it.