PDA

View Full Version : Levelling concrete floor

Kloubek
06-13-2008, 12:55 PM
So this is hardly a DIY message board, but I figure there's enough people on here - there's bound to be an answer somewhere.

I am finishing my basement. I have broken up the floor, installed piping for a bathroom, and have poured in concrete to seal it back up. (Worked well, although it's a few mm higher in areas than the rest of the floor.

Anyway, this piping occured just outside the bathroom door, and intrudes in right to the toilet. My shoddy concreting problem aside, the whole damn floor is most certainly not flat right from construction. I put my vanity in there, which has a straight bottom, and there are two or three places there are obvious gaps. Nice pouring job homos. At least I don't *claim* to be a professional.

Anyway - due to the "rolling floor" and the repaired piping concrete area, I need to level this out so I can install tile. It doesn't have to be perfect, but at least not noticable. If you feel a dip while you're walking, that'd be pretty lame.

I hear there are self-levelling compounds out there. Are these pretty much idiot-proof? I don't want to spend 40-50 bux a bag to discover I have no clue what I'm doing. Anyone know any tricks to installing it?

Any further suggestions?

A790
06-13-2008, 01:18 PM
A self-leveling mortar/concrete should do the trick. Make sure that you have the area prepped properly so you don't overpour. Also, be accurate with your measurements and make sure you have enough material.

There are a lot of self-leveling compounds that, once hardened, are actually harder than concrete.

Antonito
06-13-2008, 01:42 PM
As long as you follow the instructions, yes, it's idiot proof.

I just wouldn't say it's completely idiot proof because that takes away the chance that an actual idiot will get the idea in their head to mix in 50% dirt to save money (yes this actually happened)

BigBearWest
06-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Like he was saying make sure the you prep it correctly. If you don't you will be wasting you money. Also don't go to rona or home depot.

You should be going to either Northland Construction Supply or Hard Rock Developments.

Originally posted by A790
A self-leveling mortar/concrete should do the trick. Make sure that you have the area prepped properly so you don't overpour. Also, be accurate with your measurements and make sure you have enough material.

There are a lot of self-leveling compounds that, once hardened, are actually harder than concrete.

Kloubek
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Great advice - thanks. I totally would have gone to Rona. lol

Antonito: I might have done that when I was really poor. That's hilarious. Clearly the wrong way to make it stretch.

DeeK
06-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Self leveling compound +1:thumbsup:

Easy stuff. just pour and let gravity do the work. Just make sure to put down barriers so it cant just run under the walls and such. not to mention DO NOT put on thick. use multiple thin layers, or it will be FOREVER for a full cure.

Kloubek
06-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Well, I picked up this stuff from Northland supply. The guys there really know their stuff. $30+ per bag of the leveller, and then a ridiculous four litres of priming liquid to put on first. (Smallest they had.)

Might do it Sunday. If I'm not in my typical weekend lazy ass mentality.

barmanjay
06-14-2008, 12:15 AM
don't be surprised if it takes as many as 10 bags to level a fair sized area.

Whiley
06-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by DeeK
Self leveling compound +1:thumbsup:

Easy stuff. just pour and let gravity do the work. Just make sure to put down barriers so it cant just run under the walls and such. not to mention DO NOT put on thick. use multiple thin layers, or it will be FOREVER for a full cure.

good advise ^^
for sealing off/barrier areas, packing or tuck tape works well (sealing off holes, etc.)
i like to mix it on the thin side (LOL) and layers (but not to thin of layers) like suggested above