PDA

View Full Version : Question on 540i

hjr
08-26-2003, 12:34 PM
The family is looking into a BWM 540i. Is there any major issues to watch out for in these vehicles? Is it anything like the M3 where the recalls are pilling up? I know they look hot, but thats about where my knowledge of the car ends. Any BMW folks have some info?

http://images.webshots.com/ProThumbs/52/17052_wallpaper280.jpg
http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/bmw/bmw_540i2.jpg Thanks

Zephyr
08-26-2003, 12:36 PM
very expensive to repair....very

D'z Nutz
08-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Get one that's still under warranty, cause when those things break down, oooh boy. One gentleman who was test driving my car when I was selling it had a really nice 540i, and he mentioned that once the warranty period ended, he had all kinds of troubles, particularily with the electrical components.

Still a very nice looking car though. And I'm sure the heated steering wheel is nice :D

hjr
08-26-2003, 12:57 PM
extended warrenty, OK. What else?

calarina
08-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
very expensive to repair....very

Very true.

Parts for BMW's are WAY overpriced IMO. When you have to pay $1000+ for a new headlight (most run around $1400), that's expensive.

MrX
08-26-2003, 02:27 PM
register onto some BMW forums where there are specific 5 series chat rooms and ask for additional information there.

One that pops into mind is bekkers.com

Zephyr
08-26-2003, 02:30 PM
5 series seem to have electrical problems mainly with the in board computer....mine almost over heated cuz the computer went out and i guess the cooling system wasnt working properly, thank god it was under warranty... and it seems still there r electronic problems..

E36M3
08-26-2003, 03:24 PM
I think that the 4.4L V8 is bulletproof. If you are buying new, then repair costs won't be an issue.. my experience with 540s has been that they are quite reliable. I have several friends with them, and they have been pretty much flawless. As with any car, as they get older, the probability that something will need to be fixed increases. I would imagine that the parts are quite pricey, but compared to other vehicles in the segment, I would imagine it is pretty comparable. If you look at the total cost of ownership data on the car (http://www.intellichoice.com), it is rated Average, which means it is pretty good.

The 530i and E320 are rated excellent though, so if performance is not a priority, it would probably cost less to maintain a V6 car.

Let me know if you're interested in a like-new 530i.. my uncle is selling one. I don't know all the details, but it is a 2002 or 2003 with only a couple thousand km on it and is in like new condition. He is too tall for it and needs a larger daily driver.

hjr
08-26-2003, 05:15 PM
my dad's friend who owns some saskatchewan hotels is selling one. The reason we're probably going to go with BMW over MB is the 6 speed in the 540i. My mom HAS to have a standard, and a triptronic like system wont cut it, so Mercedes is out.

<She was also looking at a saab 9-3 coincidently (E36M3). Whats your experience with that car?>

Hash_man
08-26-2003, 05:20 PM
Saab = GM = Domestic Crap

I hate domestics.

My dads friend has a 540i and loves the car, no problems to speak of after about a year, and damn is that thing fast.

hjr
08-26-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man

I hate domestics.

My dads friend has a 540i and loves the car, no problems to speak of after about a year, and damn is that thing fast. Im sorry to tell you that Since 1988, all USDM Civics have been built in Ohio. Yes, Domestic. AS for Saab. They are Built in Sweden. Therefore, European Import. Yes, Import. Opps, domestic crap indeed.

I will try not to let your ignorant statment about saab effect my opinion of you. Thanks for the info on the 540i.

Hash_man
08-26-2003, 05:41 PM
Im sorry to tell you that Since 1988, all USDM Civics have been built in Ohio. Yes, Domestic. AS for Saab. They are Built in Sweden. Therefore, European Import. Yes, Import. Opps, domestic crap indeed.

I will try not to let your ignorant statment about saab effect my opinion of you. Thanks for the info on the 540i.

My bad. I was under the impression that they were made in the states with ford engineering?! But if I am wrong I retract my statement. I really like how the cars look, really sleek.

And yes I know the civics are made in the states, so was my 89 accord... but it is still Japanese engineering, and most of the time, Japanese quality control to make sure the end product is up to honda quality standards.

hjr
08-26-2003, 05:57 PM
No hard E-Feelings then? hehe j/k. Thanks again

E36M3
08-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the informed reply.

Originally posted by Hash_man

I hate domestics.

My dads friend has a 540i and loves the car, no problems to speak of after about a year, and damn is that thing fast.

E36M3
08-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by hjr

&lt;She was also looking at a saab 9-3 coincidently (E36M3). Whats your experience with that car?&gt;

I don't think you'll be sorry about the 540i. It is like an E36 M3 but with more room + luxury. It has amazing throttle response, limitless power and handles incredibly well. The 4.4L engine is much better than 5.0L in my Benz.. craploads of power from idle to redline.

As for the Saab, it is my girlfriends.. she likes the exterior design and the high quality interior. It isn't a very fun car to drive at all.. it has lots of turbo lag, the handling sucks (I don't like FWD cars at all) and the brakes are so-so. Compared to what you can get for the money, you can definitely do better. She loves it though.

Swedes can make some kick ass seats + interiors though. The GM parts bin was probably pillaged for a lot of the car, but you sure can't tell very easily (other than the OnStar). It compares really nicely to an Audi interior (my personal standard of excellence).

As for being domestic crap, that is silly. It is manufactured in Sweden, and is quite well differentiated from any other GM product that I know of (at least until the current generation, where it is now based on the really excellent Epsilon platform).

If it were up to me, we'd get rid of it and keep the SLK32 I ordered. I think we'll wait for an R171 or an E55 though.

Hash_man
08-26-2003, 10:20 PM
No hard E-Feelings then? hehe j/k. Thanks again

Hahah... ya, no hard feelings.

three.eighteen.
08-28-2003, 05:19 PM
most definetly try to get the sport package or whatever its called...the bumpers are way nicer...and m5 rims :)

Eric Happy Meal
08-28-2003, 06:19 PM
5-series are nice cars, my dads on a one-year lease with BMW with a 530 for winning a parts award. but the thing with BMW's is the repair cost.

and dont worry about the sports package....its nothing special...

E36M3
08-28-2003, 06:26 PM
I totally disagree. I would never get a 540i without the sports package, it is a night and day difference.

Also, from the post above, the sport package does not include the M5 rims.

Originally posted by Eric Happy Meal
5-series are nice cars, my dads on a one-year lease with BMW with a 530 for winning a parts award. but the thing with BMW's is the repair cost.

and dont worry about the sports package....its nothing special...

Eric Happy Meal
08-28-2003, 06:33 PM
if im not mistaken (which i probably am) arent the only real difference is an M steering wheel, M rims, and low profile tires?

E36M3
08-28-2003, 06:41 PM
The biggest benefit is the sport tuned suspension.

It also comes with:

ports Package (SP)
$3,200

Sport suspension
Style 32 Wheels
235/45R17 performance tires
M Sport Package:
Aero Kit
M Suspension II
Roofliner
M footrest
Power sport seats
M sport steering wheel
High gloss Shadowline trim

Originally posted by Eric Happy Meal
if im not mistaken (which i probably am) arent the only real difference is an M steering wheel, M rims, and low profile tires?

Eric Happy Meal
08-28-2003, 06:54 PM
ah. forgot about the suspension part of it. so i change my mind and that that package is worth it.