06-14-2008, 08:12 PM
asdf

idriveabox
06-14-2008, 08:17 PM
if you live here, why wouldn't you switch everything :confused:

yes to all of the above.

Penis McNickels
06-14-2008, 08:55 PM
For your driver's license, I believe you get three months to get it done...

And I think you have three months as well to change to Alberta healthcare.

And yes, you have to switch to Alberta healthcare. If you aren't paying Manitoba taxes what makes you think they want to cover your ass for free?

SHO
06-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Yes... you must join the rest of us. You'll get a great big raise and you'll think life is great until you realize that ALL your expenses are up. But money is not everything. Think also about the hour long commutes. The asholes that cut you off every where. The road constuction that never ends. No spring or fall. Spring should be called hail season, than 3-6 weeks of summer and the rest winter. And finally a premier who has as much intelligence as a wet sock. WELCOME TO ALBERTA!

My thoughts not yours.

BlackArcher101
06-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Pay your dues to this province instead of just freeloading off of its higher wages. If you are working here, you are a resident. Things would be different if you were a student, but that's not the case. Don't forget to do your taxes next year!

Mys73ri0
06-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by idriveabox
if you live here, why wouldn't you switch everything :confused:

yes to all of the above.

if i could take advantage to cost savings why wouldnt i? whether you agree thats right or wrong is an opinion not a fact...

Originally posted by Penis McNickels
For your driver's license, I believe you get three months to get it done...

And I think you have three months as well to change to Alberta healthcare.

And yes, you have to switch to Alberta healthcare. If you aren't paying Manitoba taxes what makes you think they want to cover your ass for free?

if i keep paying taxes to MB why wouldn't they cover me?

to everyone else, you're not answering any of questions with any sort of detail that is useful...

broken_legs
06-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Depends on what kind of work you are doing.

If you work on the rigs and drive in for 2 weeks then keep everything manitoba

If you're keeping any residence in Manitoba I'd keep everything there.

I kept my car insurance, and health care in BC for 4 years while I live in Calgary (I was working 30+ hours/week but I was also a student)

Penis McNickels
06-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs
If you're keeping any residence in Manitoba I'd keep everything there.

Yeah, this is the deciding factor... The answers to all of your questions depend on where your residence will be.

You pay taxes to the province that your residence is located in.

If MB taxes and insurance are cheaper, then trying claiming your residence in MB and keep everything there as broken legs has said... If your parents live there then that will make it easier. Although, I am not sure how easy it is to do... I think the only people that may clue in is Canada Revenue when they see your T4s are from an Alberta company, but I am sure there is a way around this. I just don't know it....

The Cosworth
06-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0

if i keep paying taxes to MB why wouldn't they cover me?

to everyone else, you're not answering any of questions with any sort of detail that is useful...

why are you living in Ab, working in Ab, and paying MB taxes?

You will have to pay Ab taxes as well so your taxing yourself on purpose?

Antonito
06-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Oh good, another "Please Beyond tell me how to screw the system because I'm special" thread

syscal
06-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Aren't Alberta taxes cheaper overall anyway? Most provinces are on a variable tax rate depending on what you make and Alberta is a flat 10% or something like that. Federal taxes aren't going to change so unless you're in a very low tax bracket you're probably better off paying taxes to Alberta.

kaput
06-15-2008, 11:13 AM

The_Rural_Juror
06-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0

Finally anything else I need to be concerned about with moving to Alberta? I'll probably be working here at the least 3-4 years...

It's not the taxes that drain you wallet, it's the lunches. People will make fun of your lunch budget in Calgary.

idriveabox
06-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Go ahead and keep your insurance in MB. If your living here for 3-4 years min. like you say, Im sure the MB gov't will be pleased to find out they dont have to pay your claim :thumbsup:

good luck.

TomcoPDR
06-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

It's not the taxes that drain you wallet, it's the lunches. People will make fun of your lunch budget in Calgary.

I read somewhere that the average Calgary lunch is like $100 :eek: For 2 people of course.

snowboard
06-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

I read somewhere that the average Calgary lunch is like $100 :eek: For 2 people of course.

no drinks also.

broken_legs
06-15-2008, 04:27 PM
To the OP:

You haven't clearly stated where you are living.

If you are paying income tax in Alberta YOU ARE NOT EMPLOYED IN ALBERTA. Just because you geographically work here means nothing.

Regardless of where you work, as long as you maintain a legal residence in the said province you can still insure your vehicle there and get medical care there. I insured my vehicle for "Zone Z" out of province driving. That was legal for me because I was a student.

You would have to call Insurance provider to get their take on it. Likely though, without a good excuse like being here for school you are going to have to move everything over. you have 6 months? to do it I believe.

broken_legs
06-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Antonito
Oh good, another "Please Beyond tell me how to screw the system because I'm special" thread

It's not screwing anything if it's not illegal... Kind of like the internet, but thats another story ;)

"Don't hate the player, Hate the Game":thumbsup: