PDA

View Full Version : talon stock boost ??

stevectsi
06-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Im wonderin how much the stock turbo will make on its own before changeing anything

its a 95 talon, tsi of course lol
thanks

EK 2.0
06-15-2008, 02:26 PM
IIRC from my DSM days...oh how I miss those....

The 2G was about 14psi stock??...give or take a psi or two depending on the car...

2.0turbo
06-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Stock t25 turbo makes about 12 to 14psi stock with no changes. Its smaller than the 14b from the 1g's and efficiency will be done at around 19 to 20 psi and it won't last long at anything higher than stock boost.

stevectsi
06-16-2008, 12:18 AM
alright so you guys are sayin 14 psi is all im gettin out of the stock turbo with keepin relyablitly. So then if i was to upgrade whats involved ? i dont need like every detail i would just liek to know so im sure im not heading in the wrong direction. So is compture changes needed? motor work? im not lookin for crazy boost maby 25 psi or around there.
thanks guys!

962 kid
06-16-2008, 12:30 AM
25psi on a T25 is crazy boost, and it's pointless as well. Pick a horsepower goal rather than a boost level to work towards.

stevectsi
06-16-2008, 12:38 AM
well im lookin 300. maby 350 hp? so what would be reasonable

962 kid
06-16-2008, 12:40 AM
You're not going to reach either goal on the T25, so start looking at turbo upgrades.

stevectsi
06-16-2008, 12:50 AM
ya thats what i mean i want to chage my turbo then but whats involved in droppin in a better turbo? i mean like things i cant do like computure work or things like that ?

2.0turbo
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
www.calg.dsm.org

350 hps at the crank is pretty easy to accomplish.

What you will need:

ECU upgrade:
DSM link
OR
Since you have an eprom ecu, you can have it socketed and chiped for you the larger injectors you will need
cost: less than $1000

650 cc injectors
cost: $400

Evo 3 turbo with internal wastegate (don't fuck around with external, you'll waste time and money for that amount of boost.)
cost: $400

Boost controller
cost: less than $100

Boost gauge
cost: less than $100

Pyrometer and probe (mount before turbo in manifold for best results. If they are mounted in the downpipe, depending on how cold it is outside or if its raining, you may not get accurate readings. Should you decide to mount it in the downpipe, the difference on an average day from the manifold to the downpipe is around 200 degrees.
cost: $250

Intercooler and piping upgrade. Kits can be bought for pretty cheap these days for the dsm's. I know a lot of people who have had good success with ebay kits for cheap and they are a direct bolt on so no fucking around. Don't waste money on any cheap turbo kits from ebay. Just get an intercooler.
cost: $less than 500

3" exhaust turbo back
cost $500

Clutch and flywheel. I've had good success with ACT setups. cost: $800 including labour
As you have a 7 bolt motor and it will crankwalk at somepoint in its life if it hasn't already, don't go any higher than the 2100 or you'll most likely speed the process up. Either way your fucked, so start saving for a 6 bolt motor swap.

There you have it, thats what you need. Good luck.

Redlyne_jr
06-16-2008, 04:46 PM
well besides dropping the turbo you are going to need something to control is.. either piggback or a standalone.. probably will need bigger injectors if you plan to run bigger boost levels.. dependant on what turbo and if its a kit etc your gonna need an aftermaket wastegate.. etc its pretty much the same for any car.. ask 962 kid if he still has his dsm link that would probably be a wise choice regarding aftermarket fuel and or boost control..

2.0turbo
06-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Oh ya, and 20 to 22 psi will work just fine.

And you'll need some dyno time at lightspeed in red deer or something. They have an awd dyno and do a lot of dsm and evo's.

962 kid
06-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Don't forget a fuel pump and BOV upgrade (2gs have the plastic ones)... I'd also skip the E316g and go for a big T28 from Forced Performance.

2.0turbo
06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Ahh, yes, a crushed BOV from a 1g would work for that set up. And you'll need a fuel pump like 962 kid said. a 190 lph would work but you could put in a 225lph cause they are the same price. If you do that, you might need to put in a fuel pressure regulator but it will allow you more upgrades in the future without having to upgrade the pump then.

Evo 3 16g compared to the T28.:dunno: not too much difference i don't think, just where the charge pipe comes from. Pay attention to that when ordering your intercooler kit.

Check this site out for your dsm needs:

http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/

Its pretty old, but there is a lot of good links and helpful info in there.

stevectsi
06-17-2008, 06:16 PM
thanks alot guys! :) i was expecting to get knocked for askin that but this helps alot, so i guess ill check out that link and any more questions ill ask and hopefully i can do something with my talon! oh one more thing mines auto :( but i have been wonderin would it be worth while to just do a conversion? and how much would that waste ?lol

2.0turbo
06-17-2008, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't bother with a swap. See this link for an auto to manual fwd swap and you'll see. Not only that but awd will be a bit more complicated because you will need a transfercase and probably a different rear end because I think the ratio's are different. I don't really know how that works.

Basically if you want a standard, sell what you have and but one. It will be less time and less money.

http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/autotomanual.html