PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Picking in Okanagan?

omagedon
06-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Hello,

I am going to Vancouver in the summer and we are planning to stop a day in the Okanagan for Cherry or any other fruit picking area.

What farms would you recommend to pick cheeries and other fruits?

Thanks.

brown_guy
06-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I think you just buy them at the stands on the side of the road ....you don't have to pick them ...unless thats what you want to do.....buy why do that for free... when you could get paid to due it ???

nismodrifter
06-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by brown_guy
buy why do that for free... when you could get paid to due it ???

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I almost spit my coffee out.
Typical brown mentality HAHAHAHHAHA.

tirebob
06-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Speaking as someone who grew up in the Okanagan/Similkameen with an orchard for a back yard and who has had jobs picking just about all possible kinds of fruit for summer jobs, picking cherries sucks balls worse than any of the other fruits! Just stop at one of the local fruit stands and get fresh cherries picked earlier that day without the mosquito bites, buckets or ladders and save yourself the manotony...

Kritafo
06-15-2008, 08:56 PM
yup...crap job, right next to corn detasseling.

We use to stay somewhere around Oliver you could pick all fruit you wanted while you stayed there. They had cherries, peaches, crabapples, and apricots....I loved it there.

PHX
06-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
Speaking as someone who grew up in the Okanagan/Similkameen with an orchard for a back yard and who has had jobs picking just about all possible kinds of fruit for summer jobs, picking cherries sucks balls worse than any of the other fruits! Just stop at one of the local fruit stands and get fresh cherries picked earlier that day without the mosquito bites, buckets or ladders and save yourself the manotony...

I agree!

sevewone
06-15-2008, 10:12 PM
rule of thumb, if a farm lets you pick your own cherries its probably not that great of a cherry farm. If the farmer is concerned about his stock he doesnt let randoms walk around in there field and steal/break there cherry trees. I worked for one a couple years back and all of the farmers cherries were shipped to switzerland , had no local sales. Only way to buy them is to go up to the guy and ask him personally. There not cheap but they will be the best cherries youll ever have in your life. Its called Summerland farms in Peachland.

Lucky97
06-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by brown_guy
I think you just buy them on the sands at the side of the road ....you don't have to pick them ...unless thats what you want to do.....buy why do that for free... when you could get paid to due it ???
holy shit :english:

vlbarry
06-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Could somebody tell me about period of cherry ripening?

brown_guy
06-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I almost spit my coffee out.
Typical brown mentality HAHAHAHHAHA.

Oh OH my back.. my back I can't do it ....why dont you pick the cherries... Then I will get them packed and together we can wholesale them ????

Kritafo
06-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by vlbarry
Could somebody tell me about period of cherry ripening?

I am assuming this is the info you want..

http://www.oliverchamber.bc.ca/community/picker.htm

Cherries:
June 18th to July 15th

vlbarry
06-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks a lot!

98type_r
06-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that most orchards will pick the best fruit BEFORE they allow anyone else on to pick fruit. This means themajority of largest/best cherries are long gone before you ever see the tree.

Godfuader
06-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I think he wanted to pick the cherries as a thing to do...versus eating cherries. We did this a few years back. You will see tons of signs on the road. We spent about 30mins x 7 people, got a big box of cherries and farmer charged us like $2. Great family event.

omagedon
06-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
I think he wanted to pick the cherries as a thing to do...versus eating cherries. We did this a few years back. You will see tons of signs on the road. We spent about 30mins x 7 people, got a big box of cherries and farmer charged us like $2. Great family event.

Yeah, thats what I want. I know its better to get it from the roads instead of picking it. We used to live in a small town and we always picked our fruit. Since, we moved to Calgary we haven't done it.

Wow thats cheap where abouts did you go? I was thinking of going on the number 1 to Salmon Arm then to Kelowna and go on the number 3 to Vancouver. Which people say is more scenic than going on number 1 straight to Vancouver..

tirebob
06-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by omagedon

Yeah, thats what I want. I know its better to get it from the roads instead of picking it. We used to live in a small town and we always picked our fruit. Since, we moved to Calgary we haven't done it.

Wow thats cheap where abouts did you go? I was thinking of going on the number 1 to Salmon Arm then to Kelowna and go on the number 3 to Vancouver. Which people say is more scenic than going on number 1 straight to Vancouver.. The 97 south from Kelowna than the #3 from Penticton to Vancouver is definitely a better drive for scenery and fun driving, but it does take a couple hours longer. If you aren't in as big of a hurry I would definitely recommend it. Stop at the orchards in Keremeos if you really want some nice fruit!

Kritafo
06-22-2008, 04:44 PM
http://www.pickyourown.org/canadabc.htm

here is a partial listing of u-picks in BC, there are probably others on the net

omagedon
06-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks, Tirebob and Kritafo for your info.

Will look into it.