PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Neighborhood

Delbert
06-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi. Im planning to move to Calgary. I knew a little things about the City. Can somebody recommend neighborhoods where i should settle?
Thank you.

Mixalot27
06-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Avoid Forest Lawn and the NE in general and you should be good to go.

Ihatetowait
06-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Avoid bowness as well.

510-Trevor
06-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Do you have a job lined up?
If so, what part of town is it in?
Do you plan to drive, or take the bus/lrt?
The answers will make a difference, each quadrant of the city has its nice and not so nice areas.

Lucky97
06-15-2008, 11:17 PM
forest lawn FTW

Delbert
06-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Nope. No job offer yet. No car too. Just wanna try my luck in Calgary.

Thanks for all the replies

FiveFreshFish
06-15-2008, 11:34 PM
What type of job are you looking for?

Delbert
06-15-2008, 11:37 PM
office jobs probably. But i need a place to stay first. And so, i was wondering what area should i settle. A generally safe and convinient neighborhood will do. I can't afford posh villages anyway.:)

jadeboy
06-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Westhills (in the West of Calgary) is good. Easy access to transportation to get to downtown, shopping centres. But it could be a little expensive here.

Delbert
06-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by jadeboy
Westhills (in the West of Calgary) is good. Easy access to transportation to get to downtown, shopping centres. But it could be a little expensive here.

Thanks. It might be a little expensive for a starter.

Delbert
06-15-2008, 11:48 PM
By the way, I've been to Calgary once. Stayed in Days Inn Calgary South (Mcleod Trail) Is that a good area?

ercchry
06-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Delbert
By the way, I've been to Calgary once. Stayed in Days Inn Calgary South (Mcleod Trail) Is that a good area?

calgary south can be pretty nice close to everything, but price tags are pretty steep. a good community for a starter home/condo imo would be mackenzie town. it is pretty far se but has everything you need right there and depending where you live in the area it is about a 5min drive to deerfoot (deerfoot is the main highway in town)

the area is basically crime free, there is a grocery store, pub, hair dressers, gas stations, fast food etc right there (walking distance from pretty much all the condo buildings) also a short drive to 130th ave se which has a brand new golds gym a canadian tire, home depot, wall-mart minute lube banks etc. and again depending on were you are in the neighborhood it is walking distance too.

also for pricing a 2 bedroom condo can be had for around the mid 200s (and pricing is still dropping) and 3 bedroom 1100sqft or so homes start around the low 300s and it is a newer community too

only down side you have though is without a car you have to take the bus to the lrt (c-train) so that kinda sucks if you want to go downtown or anything like that

em2ab
06-16-2008, 12:53 AM
The northwest if you can afford it, but if you want to be close to the train and pretty much everything else, try downtown south of 12 Avenue south and west of 3 Street west. That's the area I like, lived in 3 different places there and liked all of them.

Delbert
06-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

calgary south can be pretty nice close to everything, but price tags are pretty steep. a good community for a starter home/condo imo would be mackenzie town. it is pretty far se but has everything you need right there and depending where you live in the area it is about a 5min drive to deerfoot (deerfoot is the main highway in town)

the area is basically crime free, there is a grocery store, pub, hair dressers, gas stations, fast food etc right there (walking distance from pretty much all the condo buildings) also a short drive to 130th ave se which has a brand new golds gym a canadian tire, home depot, wall-mart minute lube banks etc. and again depending on were you are in the neighborhood it is walking distance too.

also for pricing a 2 bedroom condo can be had for around the mid 200s (and pricing is still dropping) and 3 bedroom 1100sqft or so homes start around the low 300s and it is a newer community too

only down side you have though is without a car you have to take the bus to the lrt (c-train) so that kinda sucks if you want to go downtown or anything like that

that is nice. Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't have a car. And no plans of having one until I am stable.
Thanks

turbotrip
06-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Dalhousie, relatively cheap and pretty decent community right next to the C-Train station

Delbert
06-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
Dalhousie, relatively cheap and pretty decent community right next to the C-Train station

thanks. i will consider that

demosticgarbage
06-17-2008, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
Avoid Forest Lawn and the NE in general and you should be good to go.

common misconception. the NE is a large area of calgary, it has highest rate of married couples with children in the city per capita, so is a great area to raise your children.

Forest Lawn cant that bad. Forest Lawn is just a busy 17th ave with alot of stores.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by turbotrip
Dalhousie, relatively cheap and pretty decent community right next to the C-Train station [/QUOTE

I like Shawnessy and Mckenzie Town they are great communities. in the deep SE
I agree 100%
"Dalhousie Family slaughtered" RIP

http://winnipegsun.com/News/Canada/2008/05/29/5703876-sun.html

rawsensation
06-17-2008, 12:59 AM
if you can afford it arbour lake or somewhere around the crowfoot is a great place with lots of shopping centers and a new train station being built and a road that pretty much takes you all the way to downtown (crowchild), or in the se like someone mentioned mackenzie town, or copperfield

Ukyo8
06-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Chaparral, Somerset, Bridlewood, Silverado

Delbert
06-17-2008, 02:33 AM
thank you very much for all responses. I will consider them all. Keep them coming.

ExtraSlow
06-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Renfrew and Regal Terrace if you aren't going to have a car.
Good bus transit options, and close enough to walk downtown when the weather is warm.
Plus it's an established neighbourhood with mature trees and a nice mix of age groups.
Most of the houses are somewhat small, as the neighbourhood was built from 1940-1960, but if it's just for one or two people, who needs all that space?
Some nice condos in the $240-300 range and some detached houses from $300-400.
Also some very good infills if you have a little more cash . . .

Can you tell that's where I live?

Tik-Tok
06-17-2008, 09:22 AM
A page, full of help.

Things I Wish I knew Before Moving to Calgary (http://www.corpocracy.info/calgarycity.htm)

Akagi Redsuns
06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Here is the community profiles that the City of Calgary has on their website. Not a bad source of info, even if a lot of the demographics and stuff is out dated.

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Community+and+Neighbourhood+Services/Social+Research+Policy+and+Resources/Community+Profiles/Community+Profiles.htm

Delbert
06-17-2008, 07:13 PM
thanks again. very informative

TACO.VIDAL
06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
How old are you?
What kind of work do you expect to do in Calgary?
What kind of things do you like to do for fun?
Is nightlife important to you?
Will you spend a lot of time outside of your home other than going to work?
What will your budget be for rent?

Many of the neighbourhoods listed above are from the centre of the city. If you have no car, Id recommend you live as close to downtown as possible. Living near a ctrain station is good but not necesary depending where you live in relation to your work. Many of the above neigbourhoods are cookie cutter suburbs that are purely residential and you will hate life if you are single and have no car. They are not pedestrian friendly and winter will be especially harsh.

Take a look at a map of Calgary. Theres a lot of decent neighbourhoods including downtown and not too far outside of downtown. It all depends on what you want out of your place, what you want your life to be like, and how much you want to spend.

Hi. Im planning to move to Calgary. I knew a little things about the City. Can somebody recommend neighborhoods where i should settle?
Thank you.

MR_PIMP
06-17-2008, 07:44 PM
I say go for the N.W but stay away from bowness

Delbert
06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
How old are you?
Ans. 35

What kind of work do you expect to do in Calgary?
Ans. Office or administrative jobs.

What kind of things do you like to do for fun?
Ans. I'm much of a "city" guy. Walking around downtown.

Is nightlife important to you?
Ans. At times. If I have spare money to use.

Will you spend a lot of time outside of your home other than going to work?
Ans. If my work requires me to.

What will your budget be for rent?
Ans. I have no idea about the rental price in Calgary.

Many of the neighbourhoods listed above are from the centre of the city. If you have no car, Id recommend you live as close to downtown as possible. Living near a ctrain station is good but not necesary depending where you live in relation to your work. Many of the above neigbourhoods are cookie cutter suburbs that are purely residential and you will hate life if you are single and have no car. They are not pedestrian friendly and winter will be especially harsh.
Take a look at a map of Calgary. Theres a lot of decent neighbourhoods including downtown and not too far outside of downtown. It all depends on what you want out of your place, what you want your life to be like, and how much you want to spend.
Thank you very much. I will consider your advice.

TC2002
06-18-2008, 05:36 PM
The NE has a lot of new immigrants to Calgary who are looking for starter homes and is relatively affordable as a result. The diversity there is quite nice if you have an open mind and get to know your neighbours. That's something I have missed since moving away from the area. Like someone said earlier, the "NE" is quite large, and it depends on where you are.

A lot of it is actually quite convienent to downtown. My friend lives in Mayland Heights and it's not that bad at all when we visit.

5fivespeed
06-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Come to Montery Park (NE). Diverse, Multicultural community. Nice houses, in terms of how they are kept. We've been here for 10 years, and plan to stay longer.

Delbert
06-19-2008, 09:43 AM
thanks thanks

Tracy10
06-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Try checking out
www.corpocracy.info/calgarycity.htm

It will tell you about most of the things you need to know.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Delbert
office jobs probably. But i need a place to stay first. And so, i was wondering what area should i settle. A generally safe and convinient neighborhood will do. I can't afford posh villages anyway.:) [/QUOTE]

Delbert
06-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Tracy10
Try checking out
www.corpocracy.info/calgarycity.htm

It will tell you about most of the things you need to know.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Delbert
office jobs probably. But i need a place to stay first. And so, i was wondering what area should i settle. A generally safe and convinient neighborhood will do. I can't afford posh villages anyway.:) [/QUOTE]

Thank you very much. I've read it already. Very informative

thrasher22
06-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by MR_PIMP
I say go for the N.W but stay away from bowness

Is bowness really that bad? I grew up in the NW and besides a few super shady areas right near 16th ave its never seemed that bad to me? I'm thinking about looking there when I move back to Canada. It has a decent location for commuting, big lots, schools and near the river and large parks? I'm actually just curious as I've heard to avoid it other than this thread and no one has a specific answer? haha

Graham_A_M
06-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Queensland and Deer run are some well kept secrets. Minutes from Deerfoot trail, close to a C-train station (unless your walking, otherwise its a 5 minute bus ride) I live in Queensland myself and can get anywhere south of downtown within 15-20 minutes unless its rush-hour. I can get anywhere in Calgary within 30minutes, again provided its not rush hour, or construction zones gallore.:dunno:
not TOO expensive, although Deer run is nicer then queensland though. Both border Fish creek park. :thumbsup:

Delbert
07-04-2008, 01:29 AM
thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming...

Grogador
07-04-2008, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
A page, full of help.

Things I Wish I knew Before Moving to Calgary (http://www.corpocracy.info/calgarycity.htm)

epic rant, too bad it's full of FUD and just plain wrong information... and who the hell makes a whole page italic?? eyeballs bleeding :whipped:

zarge
07-04-2008, 02:54 AM
Honestly, I would just move to bowness. You can always put your thumb for the #1 bus and pay $2 to get downtown!

Delbert
07-04-2008, 06:55 PM
What neighborhoods have the best and worst schools for kids?

Amysicle
07-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Are you sending your kids to public, private or catholic? What grades are they going into?

I've had substitute teachers tell me that the worst elementary school they taught in was Pembrook (sp?) Elementary.

r0g3r
07-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
Are you sending your kids to public, private or catholic? What grades are they going into?

I've had substitute teachers tell me that the worst elementary school they taught in was Pembrook (sp?) Elementary.

maybe penbrook? not sure, but I lived in that area when I was a kid and it was ok... the elementary was called james short memorial, its right beside GW skene.

Delbert
07-04-2008, 10:31 PM
I have a 5 year old kid and i plan to send him to a catholic school. (are catholic schools public???)

Amysicle
07-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't know what you mean by that question. I believe Catholic and public schools are funded by taxpayers, because when they do the census, they ask which school system you support. Or do you mean do they just allow anyone into the Catholic schools?

Catholic School Board:
http://www.cssd.ab.ca/

I think it should have all the listings of Catholic schools, their locations so you can look at properties within walking distance.

teg_boya
07-05-2008, 09:24 AM
I have a 5 year old kid and i plan to send him to a catholic school. (are catholic schools public???)

if your son is catholic, then getting into a catholic school is no problem. if he does not have his baptismal certificate, you technically can still get into a catholic school but you put on a list of a thousand other non-catholic kids trying to get into the same school.

Delbert
07-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Amysicle
I don't know what you mean by that question. I believe Catholic and public schools are funded by taxpayers, because when they do the census, they ask which school system you support. Or do you mean do they just allow anyone into the Catholic schools?

Catholic School Board:
http://www.cssd.ab.ca/

I think it should have all the listings of Catholic schools, their locations so you can look at properties within walking distance.

Oh. Because as i understand, in other cities, Catholic schools are private.

revelations
07-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Forest lawn, good and bad areas: (this is somewhat subjective)

Good area is on W side of 36st, S of 17th st SE. Lots of trees and single detached homes.

Bad area - generally north of 17th ave (low income housing) and south of 26ave, E of 36st SE.

Erin woods (where I live - south of Forest Lawn) is generally very quiet as well. Buses run downtown from here in the morning, commute is about 35 min.

TC2002
07-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I am a teacher in the public system. Catholic schools belong to an entirely different school board.

OP: As for your question about which areas have good schools... I can only speak for the public board, but it depends on what you mean. Some schools focus on literacy and technology (like my school), others focus on fine arts programs, traditional learning centres (where they are in uniforms, rows, etc.), second language/bilingual programs, K-4 (primary school), 5-9 (middle school), K-6 (elementary school), inquiry-based (i.e. critical thinking), generative curriculum, Montessouri (fine arts), science focused, sport focused... so I guess it is up to you to determine what sort of learning environment you want your child to enter into and learn from.

Amysicle
07-05-2008, 11:23 AM

Oh. Because as i understand, in other cities, Catholic schools are private.

Okay. I've lived in Calgary all my life, but only went to public school so I think what you may be asking is funding. I'm pretty sure Catholic school in Calgary is publicly funded (through property taxes, but as a taxpayer you can choose which school you would like the money to go to as it mentions in that link I gave you.)

However, there still are school fees that you would have to pay but they should be somewhat lower because the system is subsidized. The school fees would be waived if you were financially unable to pay, and have proof of it. Can anyone else who's actually gone to Catholic school in Calgary elaborate further on how it works?

I had a friend who went to a Christian school (not Catholic) and that was private so they had to pay a pretty penny.

Delbert
07-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Basically, im looking for a community with:
- easy access to downtown (good public transportation)
- good catholic school
- average price of real estate
- with its own shopping area

theken
07-05-2008, 11:52 PM
your rental prices can vary anywhere from 600$ to 1800$ to 2500$ a month, check out riverbend, older area, there is new office buildings going up directly behind them, you probably won't have to go downtown, and if you need to go downtown the bus gets you to the train station in 10 minutes. i would say rent in riverbend for a 1200sq/ft house would be around 1100-1300 a month, plus utilities, i own a house so i dont know much about the rental state. ask max_boost what he would rent a house to you for, and there is 2 schools in riverbend, and 3 more up the hill in lynwood

omagedon
07-06-2008, 08:10 PM
[B]Basically, im looking for a community with:
- good catholic school

I worked in IT support for both CSSD and now Calgary Board of Education...

I would highly recommend if you want your kids to use computers more often. To find a school, in the south. Most schools, in the North (mostly NE and some NW and some SE) have really crappy computers. Crappy means...computers running Windows 95-98 still, it was a pain to troubleshoot LOL.

Most CBE schools I have worked in have really good technology - all systems are running Win XP.

Also, see what kind of stuff your kid like to do if she/he is artistic then check where the arts schools are (there is one in Kensington near downtown) and so on.

riceboi
07-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Try to stay with seperate schools (catholic) if you can. Their programs are way better, more homework, more activities, more field trips. I think this is because they may have more funding per student. my 2cents

Delbert
07-08-2008, 02:53 AM
I'm looking at McKenzie Towne. How's the area in terms of convenience, transportation, surroundings/atmosphere and real estate prices?
Thanks

ExtraSlow
07-08-2008, 07:57 AM
I'm looking at McKenzie Towne. How's the area in terms of convenience, transportation, surroundings/atmosphere and real estate prices?
Thanks
McKenzie towne is a nice area, but it's pretty far from downtown, which for some people would be a deal breaker. about 24 km's according to Google.
They are supposed to get Light-Rail Transit down there some day, but I think that's at least ten years off.

rc2002
07-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Mckenzie town is a bit too close to the south landfill for my liking. Getting to DT from there is a pain in the ass. People I know who have lived there now live outside the city in Airdrie and they actually get to work faster.

The only good thing is that house prices are relatively low there.

Delbert
07-11-2008, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Mckenzie town is a bit too close to the south landfill for my liking. Getting to DT from there is a pain in the ass. People I know who have lived there now live outside the city in Airdrie and they actually get to work faster.

Thank you. Mckenzie Town is a bit popular. Don't know why

Akagi Redsuns
07-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Don't forget the sewage pond just north of 130th Ave. Went shopping at the stores on 130th when the wind was blowing from the north.....bleh!

GTi-RS
07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
If you're new here and want to find an office job then I'm thinking you'll be working near downtown in which case I suggest a place near it. This may seem more expensive as for rental property/apartment but will save you money on transportation and parking.

Bridgeland would be great or even further up like Tuxedo which has great connection to downtown.