PDA

View Full Version : &*(*%$ Potholes.

Thaco
06-16-2008, 07:18 AM
So i was driving out in the country this weekend, my brother lives out near drumheller, so i was going to his house, cruzin down the road doing the speed limit, which i assume would be safe to do, it wouldn't be the speed limit if it weren't, and POW, i come up on this damned pothole spanning 1/4 of the road,

http://tms12.com/stuff/wheel/1.jpg
http://tms12.com/stuff/wheel/2.jpg

i did try to avoid it, but obviously did not do a very good job because shortly after i felt the car pulling to the right, so i pulled over, my tire was flat, no big deal, probably just popped the tire off the bead, so i put on my donut, inspected the wheel and saw this

http://tms12.com/stuff/wheel/4.jpg

I thought, no big deal, the rim is bent, it's on the inside so that's a bonus, nobody will see it and it should still reseat the bead on there... so I drive the rest of the way to my brother's place (3 minutes away), pull the wheel out of my trunk, hook the compressor on it, start filling ti with air, and it';s not filling, so i looked around the tire, it seemed fine, i put my hand near the dent in the wheel, thinking it may be leaking, nope, nothing, after about 4 minutes of searching, i stumbled upon THIS

http://tms12.com/stuff/wheel/3.jpg

A friggin CRACK in my wheel, 1/6th of the way around the wheel, i couldn't believe that it would crack like that...

So i'm getting a quote from CMS for the wheel, mounting and balancing, as well as a front wheel alignment, and will forward that off to the county in which this happened (I expect the bill to be ~$350), hoping they'll offset the cost as it is there responsibility to have the roads properly maintained....

Anybody with any other suggestions for who i could contact? or any idea if Alberta wheel repair could fix this, and the approximate cost?

G-ZUS
06-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Welcome to the club! I hit a pot hole in town the 2 mths ago and didnt get paid shit to fix my rims

heavyD
06-16-2008, 07:24 AM
I would not even bother looking at getting the wheel repaired with that crack.

DNSRadio
06-16-2008, 07:41 AM
yeah i agree with heavyD... don't bother.. its going to be more headaches down the road man.
but in the end its your choice.

as far as the county paying for the repair costs... good luck with that... same thing happened to me out there.. and they sent me a a formal letter that stated they were sorry for the unfortunate events and etc. etc..... jist of it.. they didn't give 2 shits...

but hey.. it doesn't hurt to try... who knows maybe you might have better luck with them.

Tomaz
06-16-2008, 09:11 AM
That freekin sucks! I believe that no matter where you take your rim, it goes to Alberta Wheel Repair:dunno: (Correct me if i'm wrong)

They do great work, but if you have that crack, i wouldn't bother. I would just buy another one.

benyl
06-16-2008, 09:27 AM
What kind of wheel is that?

Seems kind of weaksauce if it cracked on that pot hole.

Jlude
06-16-2008, 09:30 AM
that blows...

I had 18s on 35 series tires last year... NEVER AGAIN...(at least on in this city)

CSMRX7
06-16-2008, 09:46 AM
I hit a section of unmarked construction recently where they were stripping the pavement then bam, bent 3 22s. I called the city and they just dicked me around.

I spoke with a couple of wheel repair guys and the consensus I have drawn is don't bother fixing it if it is cracked.

jdmXSI
06-16-2008, 10:01 AM
If the bill is $350, why dont you just buy a new wheel? Depending on the rim, it shouldnt cost more than it would cost to repair the old one. If the tire is still usable, you'll be laughing. Its unfortunate that happened though.

unless thats what you were thinking to begin with...

Thaco
06-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by benyl
What kind of wheel is that?

Seems kind of weaksauce if it cracked on that pot hole.
It's a Tenzo-r GT-6, 17" I emailed Tenzo-r to see if they have any sort of "lifetime guarantee" or something like that, i know a few wheel manufacturers have something like that

Originally posted by jdmXSI
If the bill is $350, why dont you just buy a new wheel? Depending on the rim, it shouldnt cost more than it would cost to repair the old one. If the tire is still usable, you'll be laughing. Its unfortunate that happened though.

unless thats what you were thinking to begin with...
Yeh, I'm expecting $350, it's $220 for a new wheel, plus mounting&balancing and a front wheel alignment, plus taxes n stuff (and hoping the rear wheel is not bent) it will probably end up between $300-$350. I't just tough for me because i only paid $600 for the whole set of wheels and tires, so to spend another 1/2 that on one wheel it's a bit of a kick in the teeth, but looks like it's my only option.

revelations
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
I cant believe you guys would have such low profile tires in this city...

Tomaz
06-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I cant believe you guys would have such low profile tires in this city...

I cant believe that the city has such shitty roads we cant have low profile tires! Like comon, what happened!??! We used to have wicked roads, but now it feels like washboard. I just bought a new car 2 weeks ago, now i need to park her becasue the shocks/struts have blown out, along with upper bushings and ball joint. Something is messed up if roads are falling apart like this.

treg50
06-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Just this spring I learned that not all puddles are friendly... some puddles hide HUGE potholes.

Driving behind some cars in stop-and-go-traffic I saw a nice late model car drive into a puddle and plunge & bounce violently as their passenger side wheel disappeared a quarter of the way into a giant pothole hidden in puddle --- weird thing is they kept going straight and did the same to their passenger rear wheel. Traffic was slow so I was able to sneak around it at 9 km/h.

So unless you know the road well, look out for puddles too.

Destinova403
06-16-2008, 12:28 PM
i just replaced a wrecked TenzoR RS-5... CMS hooked me up with a new rim and the install (mount and bal with my old tire)... in total (including tax) it wasnt any more than 250. the biggest pain was waiting for the rim to ship in.

i filed a claim with the city but they basically told me to screw myself and that if i wanted anything id need to take them to court.

my rims are 17 inch with a 40 profile... and this is the second time this has happened in a year and a half... luckily the first time all that needed replacing was a tire so the bill wasnt too bad.

next time i buy a set of rims... im just going to buy a 5th and keep it in my garage.

atomic
06-16-2008, 12:34 PM
i'm also near my limit with this city's poor roads . i know you were in the country, and to their defense, that road is most likely less travelled and therefore less inspected .

however, every single road in this city has at least a pot hole or a lipped patch . i can't imagine owning a ferrari or something really expensive here .

my stock wheels are 17x45 and that's what i'm running . i've bent my stock wheels twice . and now i have highway wobble on my aftermarket ones .

i wish the city provided a taxable repair expense for ppl with cars, just like the province does for ppl with trucks .

Tomaz
06-16-2008, 12:45 PM
^^^ That, or fix the damn roads already. With all the slow traffic caused by construction, you would think to see some results.

I understand there are some big projects going on right now, but damn! They are going to need to do more projects to fix the roads they have neglected for the past few years.

CTSV
06-16-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't think any of you have been to Saskatchewan lately.
You will be thankful for the roads here. Think of potholes as kind of a small autocross, steer around them. If you don't see them because of the car in front, then you are following too close. Here in the great frozen North, we will always have potholes because of the freeze/thaw cycle.

rc2002
06-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Road crews are a lot slower at fixing stuff than they used to be. A lot of roads get ripped up for weeks and nobody shows up to fix them.

I'm starting to rethink having nice wheels and tires in this city now. I'm currently on 225/35's and I've been lucky so far (knock on wood).

Thaco
06-16-2008, 02:37 PM
i know in the city you can call 311 to report pot holes and if they get x amount of complaints they have to take action, but out in the country it's not the same... what gets me is that this was a somewhat major road, speed limit was 100km/h and it wasn't just one hole, they were everywhere, i dodged them for a while before hitting this one, it was hidden pretty good, then down the road more there were probably 3-4 more holes the same size if not larger, and a ton of smaller ones too.

Tomaz
06-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Most rural districts avoid roadwork for some reason. Most issues come down to "nobody knows who is in charge". Happens at the parents house. Wheatland puts down dust control, then rockyveiw grates the road making the dust control usless. Then in winter nobody wants to plow.

Either way, hurts out tires.

Thaco
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
yeah, i think this was in Kneehill county, it' was 1KM north of HWy 9 on RR23-2

Hakkola
06-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

Anybody with any other suggestions for who i could contact?

TireBob,

Bob Blakeborough
Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire Inc.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary Alberta, T2E6L5
888.769.1772 Toll Free
403.769.1771 tel
403.769.1773 fax
[email protected]

Tell him you're from beyond, he is a sponser, and runs an excellent business. :thumbsup:

I've narrowly escaped at least 3 massive pot holes this week alone. Shitty you couldn't get around it.

kenny
06-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Theres so much whining in this thread. Look at how many construction projects are in progress in the city. There isn't a magical endless supply of labor to fix every problem in the city.

To add to that, every time the city wants to move forward with construction projects the communities that surround the projects protest everything until it suits them personally (ex. West LRT) wasting more $

</rant>

Thaco
06-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Theres so much whining in this thread. Look at how many construction projects are in progress in the city. There isn't a magical endless supply of labor to fix every problem in the city.

To add to that, every time the city wants to move forward with construction projects the communities that surround the projects protest everything until it suits them personally (ex. West LRT) wasting more $

&lt;/rant&gt;

while i agree, it's still the city's fault, before bronco took office NOTHING was done infrastructure wise, so it really is their own fault... if they'd have kept up with int he first place, we wouldn't be playing catch-up now.

rc2002
06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
^ It's true that Duerr did nothing during his time in office. But the population growth wasn't forseen either. It's all the new people who moved to this city that are stretching the resources and they should be the ones more heavily taxed.

Swank
06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Number of raods in Calgary vs Quality of roads in Calgary. At this point in time you can only pick one :(

driftkingAE86
06-16-2008, 05:57 PM
man that sucks!
One of the reasons I prefer haveing lots of sidewall (the biggest wheels I will use would be 17, but I prefer the look of 16s) and high profile tires.
Good Luck with getting them to pay for it, if they are anything like the people around here (I hope they aren't), you won't even get a response.

black13
06-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Seriously unless you drive the same roads everyday and know exactly where all the potholes are, then you gotta drive real slow to see the on coming pot holes from a mile away.

But I'd blame the winter weather for it too which makes this more of a common problem here than say Vancouver where the asphalt doesn't constantly freeze and warm up during the year and creating cracks and such.

dragonone
06-16-2008, 07:15 PM
+1 to moving

Tomaz
06-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by dragonone
+1 to moving

to europe!

spyce
06-17-2008, 08:46 AM
its getting pretty bad in calgary
a week into getting my front lip i snagged a pothole
and just last week on 6th ave and about 10th st there was some fucking pothole in the middle of the road.
and i swear to god it wasnt there the previous day. heard the loudest thump...hope i didnt do any damage to the wheel :(

B17a
06-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I hit a huge fucking pothole yesterday on westbound Bow Trail leaving downtown in the middle lane (right before you can turn onto southbound Crowchild). Thought I did some damage but it seems okay. Just a heads up as that is a new pothole.

Thaco
06-20-2008, 02:03 PM
i sent an email to the county... i'll update with any response.

rc2002
06-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by B17a
I hit a huge fucking pothole yesterday on westbound Bow Trail leaving downtown in the middle lane (right before you can turn onto southbound Crowchild). Thought I did some damage but it seems okay. Just a heads up as that is a new pothole.

They've tried fixing that before but it keeps coming back. I make sure to pass it before using the Southbound Crowchild ramp now.

heavyD
06-20-2008, 03:14 PM
There's one on 27th Ave NE east bound (behind 32 ave and Barlow trail near Hooters :D ). It's been there for months but it's got to the point where it's about a foot deep and would destroy most aluminum wheels.