PDA

View Full Version : Roomba (refresh)

Tomaz
06-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Just bought dad the Roomba for Father's Day!

Despite the size of my parents house, this little guy does a lot of work. I had to set it up properly for dad, but once set up, i was amazed!

It will take time before it really starts making your place clean, but it does a good job. It takes 2 days for it to vacum the main level (parents have a LARGE house) but everyday that little thing is working away while nobody is home.

Highly reccomended!

If you have an apartment/condo, it will do your entire place while at work!

Becasue of the limitations of the machine (it doesn't like cords/drapes/random stuff left on floor) you will be a tidier person in general! It is my next purchace!

Has anyone had problems with them? I saw threads talking about them 1-4 years ago, but i guess they have made some advancments since then?:dunno:

The_Rural_Juror
06-16-2008, 11:20 AM
It's on sale at Costco too. Something like $229.

Kritafo
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
We own 2 of them, first one is the Red model, and we are still working on the first battery on it, the virtual wall thing isn't so great on this unit. So I put it into a bedroom and shut the door until it's done. Second one is a newer version with all the virtual walls and such. This is a great little gadget.

I still use my central vac but the roomba cuts down on the dog fur.

so I keep the older model upstairs and run it after the kids have gone to school, under the beds are always clean now. I love that.

Newer model run the kitchen, hallway, main floor bathroom since we have a dog we run this twice a day it's fabulous.

Love it...one of the best useful gadget purchases we ever made....we have the scooba as well, but I still prefer the Hoover steam scrubber.

SJW
06-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Now I have hard wood floors on the bottom floor. Will it climb on to the area rug or will it just call that a wall.

ExtraSlow
06-16-2008, 11:28 AM
This thing any good for hardwood or tiles?

brown_guy
06-16-2008, 12:51 PM
http://www.girr.org/random_stuff/roomba_docked.jpg

I had one and it broke :(....... but it was cool

SpoonEK9@STRD
06-16-2008, 01:18 PM
I bought the recent top model, it cost me about 600$ came with a few light houses, a remote and what not.

It kinda really sucks in a LARGE house, the thing is really stupid and has lots of bugs. It gets stuck on floor mats, cables etc.
Runs into floor boards damaging them( at full speed, only slows down once in a while). Half the time it cant find home when its batterys are done.

My mom hates it, I can tell because she always sweeps after it misses EVERYTHING. I have it schedualed to do the days and times everyones not home, but on the occassion you are home you really see how stupid this product is.

Infomercial states it will go back and forth for half an hour each room which are divided by lighthouses, it does! But It doesnt hit every area like comercial's does.

Wish this shit had GPS.

kenny
06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
If your Roomba isn't finding home properly, make sure the IR beam on the charge station isn't obstructed (dust build up, or left the protective sticker on it). I used to have mine too close to a wall and it took quite a while to get back home but now that I've put it in a more open area, it works great.

Mine goes once a day and each day it fills up completely with dust + dog fur. It keeps the house manageable until I get off my ass to vacuum.

SpoonEK9@STRD
06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by SJW
Now I have hard wood floors on the bottom floor. Will it climb on to the area rug or will it just call that a wall.
Depends which model, mine has a spinning brush on the side, that cleans the along the wall edge. That brush tends to go under the rug not allowing the roomba to get on the rug. On a couple of my rugs it does make it, sometimes by luck of angle. The moment the roomba sees resistance it backs up and goes in a different direction.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Its better on hardwood, and a little noisey on the tiles.

SpoonEK9@STRD
06-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by kenny
If your Roomba isn't finding home properly, make sure the IR beam on the charge station isn't obstructed (dust build up, or left the protective sticker on it). I used to have mine too close to a wall and it took quite a while to get back home but now that I've put it in a more open area, it works great.

It is, but the house isnt small.

*edit, im gonna check to see if theres still protective stickers on the unit. Its been a while so I dont remember if it has any still on it.

Kritafo
06-16-2008, 01:46 PM

Yup, we use this on our tile floors. We set the beams for it not to enter the carpeted areas. I don't have any area rugs it gets stuck on, nor do I have cords on the floor, we haven't had very many issues with ours...our old one use to get stuck under the buffet but it would eventually find it's way out.

It doesn't replace a vacuum. Like "Kenny" said...it keep it manageable until you use the real vacuum.

I clean this everyday. It's full of dog hair and little stones and stuff...

SJW
06-16-2008, 01:59 PM
My roomba's name is Heather, but she ain't no robot. Sure makes a mean pie too.

ExtraSlow
06-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by SJW
My roomba's name is Heather, but she ain't no robot. Sure makes a mean pie too.
pics.

Rocky
06-17-2008, 01:51 AM

pics.
+ or gtfo

Tomaz
06-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Pics! +1 lol

might have to trade mine in for a better madel!;)