PDA

View Full Version : General Motors and the Volt

Destinova403
06-17-2008, 12:21 AM
VERY very good article... recommend you take a read through if you have the time.

talks about GMs history, and where the Volt falls into it, as well as the companies perception and hopes for the car.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/general-motors

403Gemini
06-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Volt is probably one of the better looking electric / hybrid cars... i wouldnt drive one just because i dont want to have a slower car, but if i WERE to get a electric/hybrid, this would probably be it.

Graham_A_M
06-17-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm still reading it, on page 3. If the Volt can handle well and not be a total slouch in the 1/4 mile, I think this will honestly be my next car. :D

I really like the look of it, and they seem to be passionate about doing this right. (what welcomed change then their offerings up until '07 :rolleyes: )

dino_martini
06-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Interesting stuff. As a GM 'fanboy', I cant wait to see the Volt come to life. Maybe GM can get it out by 2010 before Toyota and crush them like I want GM to.

Eleanor
06-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Odd, I never realized it was going to be a hybrid, I had always thought it was going to be a pure electric.

mikestypes
06-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Odd, I never realized it was going to be a hybrid, I had always thought it was going to be a pure electric.

It is not like the rest of the hybrids. It is more like a locomotive in that it has an engine that powers a generator. The generator charges the batteries when needed. The ONLY form of propulsion is from the electric motors. Their traget is for it to run 40 miles on pure electric.

One reason for not having the engine provide motive power is that when it is used with the generator it can be used at full throttle (open throttle) and ideal rpm for the most efficient operation.

If it works, it will be huge.

Destinova403
06-18-2008, 02:08 PM
the point is that the average person will only commute around 30-40 miles per day... so MOST people in their regular routine will NEVER use any gasoline because they can just charge their car every night...

that said... the small gas engine which will be in there as well will make sure that the car can be used for longer trips as well... for instance if i want to go on a road trip i can still take my car because the gas engine will keep the batteries charged up enough to drive the motors.

its leaps and bounds beyond any other electric car or hybrid in the world... most electric cars have a range thats limited by the abtteries which take a long period of time to charge... ex: the tesla roadster can drive 200 miles but thats IT... 8 hour charge cycle means that if i want to drive... 300 miles im SOL. all of the other hybrids on the road have the electric motor and the gas motor both powering the wheels and use the electric motor to assist the gas motor so that it doesnt need to be pushed as hard and can be much smaller/efficient.

the volt (if it works properly) will be revolutionary.

Mr_ET
06-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Sounds to me like their timing will be off yet again and this will not work out nearly as well as they think it will.

The cost of those batteries, electricity to recharge the batteries, possible battery replacements and the fact it will still need to use gas don't sound to me like this will make much sense.

Destinova403
06-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
Sounds to me like their timing will be off yet again and this will not work out nearly as well as they think it will.

The cost of those batteries, electricity to recharge the batteries, possible battery replacements and the fact it will still need to use gas don't sound to me like this will make much sense.

you are mostly right... GM is going to lose money on this car... just like Toyota and the Prius at first. and to recharge the car at night wont cost nearly as much as gas would to keep it running

however... the point about needing gasoline is very subjective... if i only drive 20 miles to work every day and nothing else... than i will never need to buy gas again... save half a tank to keep in the car just incase i go further than the range...

think of the car as an electric car... with a backup plan incase you need to go a bit further.

their timing couldnt be any better than it will... idealy a year or two earlier would have been perfect... but keep in mind that gas is just gonig to keep going up and the technology from this car will eventually trickle down in some form into some of GMs other models. This car (if it works, is reliable, and is produced in enough numbers) will be GM's holy grail and will raise the bar for green cars the world over... just as the prius did for Toyota. but as the article states... if it doesnt work... its going to be a massive scandal.

Eleanor
06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by mikestypes

It is not like the rest of the hybrids. It is more like a locomotive in that it has an engine that powers a generator. The generator charges the batteries when needed. The ONLY form of propulsion is from the electric motors. Their traget is for it to run 40 miles on pure electric.

One reason for not having the engine provide motive power is that when it is used with the generator it can be used at full throttle (open throttle) and ideal rpm for the most efficient operation.

I understand how it works, I was just under the impression that it would be more like the Tesla.

Hakkola
06-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I really hope the masses adopt hybrids and electric cars, so that I can enjoy cheap gas. :D

autosm
06-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by mikestypes

The Prius runs at one RPM, thats why it does not have a tach?

mikestypes
06-19-2008, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by autosm

The Prius runs at one RPM, thats why it does not have a tach?

No it doesn't. The Prius uses a CVT and has no use for a tach but it still has normal throttle control for the engine.

autosm
06-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Ya I googled it and the hybrid does control the throttle but for optimum efficiency.

On a side note I borrowed a original Prius for a weekend and was pretty impressed. From what I read the next generation ones are even better.

treg50
06-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Awesome writing in that article. It even got me pumped up for GM and the Volt.

Our dependance on oil/gasoline is so primitive and annoying. Too bad people were so short sighted when the EV1 was tabled. It's cool how those people whose ideas and work were turned down a decade ago are now being summoned for their expertise and passion to be leaders in the charge they've always believed in. Go Volt!

vtec4life
06-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Pretty good article actually... I think by GM opening its doors to the public on this project that it sparked a huge amount of interest not only from the public eye but from the industry, competition is key in innovation!