PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain liscence plates

frozenrice
06-17-2008, 12:02 PM
It'll be interesting to see what they will look like....

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=80c751a2-27a8-47e0-9da7-5f7826d95739

dino_martini
06-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Thank god for no front plate!

ibcnya
06-17-2008, 12:32 PM
werd no front plate

Destinova403
06-17-2008, 12:37 PM
ugh i hate all those lisence plates with the pictures on them... so hard to read... and the colour wont go with my car... cant they just add another letter to the existing ones and call it a day?

but yeah... no front plate is deffinately good.

malbadon
06-17-2008, 01:11 PM
still agree that despite being our motto and in the anthem, 'Strong and Free' just sounds too American-esque to me (which is really more of a statement on how dominant American culture has become in making and extolling patriotic virtues).

eb0i
06-17-2008, 01:13 PM
I prefer the current one. Not looking forward to changing to the new one.

schocker
06-17-2008, 01:31 PM
The province will also consider offering custom designs with the images of certain sports teams or other organization, Klimchuk said.
beyond plates ftw :thumbsup:

Penis McNickels
06-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by malbadon
still agree that despite being our motto and in the anthem, 'Strong and Free' just sounds too American-esque to me

I think having "Wishy-washy" on the plates would be more in tune with Canadian values.

Xtrema
06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
It'll be interesting to see what they will look like....

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=80c751a2-27a8-47e0-9da7-5f7826d95739

http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/Colorado/co2001orangestick.jpg

Leave it be, at least it's unique and not all Albertans lives right by the rockies.

Ben
06-17-2008, 03:02 PM
"The government got 33,420 responses to its online consultation - mostly men, and more from Calgary than from any of the other big cities combined."

LOL, That was probably beyonds doing there, with that link which was posted a while back.

whiskas
06-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Leave it be, at least it's unique and not all Albertans lives right by the rockies.

They can get the other version with flat ass prairies instead.

And screw the wild rose slogan, my car is gay enough as it is, I don't need flowers on my license plate to add to the misery.

brown_guy
06-17-2008, 03:55 PM
http://www.yanktanks.co.uk/plates/wa879uka.jpg

might look close to this???

GQBalla
06-17-2008, 04:14 PM
so does everyone that has the old license plate have to pay for the new ones?

or can we still use our old license plates?

Destinova403
06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
so does everyone that has the old license plate have to pay for the new ones?

or can we still use our old license plates?

the most LOGICAL way to do it would be to distribute them whenever someone needs to get a new plate or registration... that way you arent having all the regestries SWAMPED if you have a deadline for everyone to switch over... im sure we will see them gradually phased into the picture.

g-m
06-18-2008, 12:14 AM
I think its sweet, I spend a TON of time in the mountains anyway
strong and free ftw too

510-Trevor
06-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Mountains are on the Provincial Flag, Strong and Free is the Provincial Motto, hard to guess what I voted for. LOL
I wouldn't mind if like was suggested in the survey, that they offered a choice of backgrounds and slogans. That, IMO would please most people.

Senseiz
06-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403

the most LOGICAL way to do it would be to distribute them whenever someone needs to get a new plate or registration... that way you arent having all the regestries SWAMPED if you have a deadline for everyone to switch over... im sure we will see them gradually phased into the picture.

I think they will keep the old one. The reason for the new license plate is because we are running out of characters. Kinda pointless to have a new design and have everyone convert.

FiveFreshFish
06-18-2008, 07:38 PM
What happens if you have a current vanity plate? The registration on mine expires in 2010.

Jay911
06-18-2008, 08:21 PM
I would think it would happen the same way it did in the 80s in Ontario.. only when a new physical plate is required do you have to change over.

I'm talking about when Ontario changed from AAA123 to 123AAA in the 80s... at the same time, my family had plates with both schemes, and kept them at renewal every year. I don't know about the "new" AAAA123 format because that happened after I moved out here. But you don't see many cars with Ontario tags of the old format at all (either version of the cars, or the light & heavy trucks' AA1234 format either).

I'm wondering if the Alberta government, when approving the mountain theme, gave thought to the fact that British Columbia has a mountain-themed plate as well.. I'm sure the mounties out my way will love that if the plates are even remotely similar in color/design...

badatusrnames
06-18-2008, 08:42 PM
still agree that despite being our motto and in the anthem, 'Strong and Free' just sounds too American-esque to me (which is really more of a statement on how dominant American culture has become in making and extolling patriotic virtues).

It is our provincial motto after all... or perhaps you would prefer "Fortis Et Liber" on your licence plate? Maybe that sounds less USAmerican?

There is also a song about Canada that contains the phrase "Strong and Free" as well...

ZEDGE
06-18-2008, 11:49 PM

Perhaps "Inferiority Complex" would be more fitting.. :rolleyes:

Redlyne_mr2
06-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Ben
"The government got 33,420 responses to its online consultation - mostly men, and more from Calgary than from any of the other big cities combined."

LOL, That was probably beyonds doing there, with that link which was posted a while back.
lol for sure it was.. thats awesome.. we are beginning to control society now. :D

nismodrifter
06-19-2008, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

lol for sure it was.. thats awesome.. we are beginning to control society now. :D

haha, next up....Beyond enters politics...rage2 for PM!!!!!

Eleanor
06-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
It is our provincial motto after all... or perhaps you would prefer "Fortis Et Liber" on your licence plate? Maybe that sounds less USAmerican?

I would much prefer Fortis et Liber on my plate then Strong and Free. I really hope they don't make the liscense plates like 18 different colours, I like boring :D