PDA

View Full Version : Cold-fx

ray8181
06-18-2008, 02:38 AM
is this stuff as good as they say it is? a bottle of it is damn expensive, just curious if anyone uses this stuff and if its actually worthe it to get this over...buckleys or benilyn etc.

Ukyo8
06-18-2008, 02:41 AM
Just this monday I woke up to a sore throat, congested nose, and fever.

Bought some extra strengh coldfx, and today it was already gone.

rage2
06-18-2008, 07:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

nissanK
06-18-2008, 07:22 AM
It only works if you follow the directions, which says you need to take 18 pills in two days.

riced
06-18-2008, 07:35 AM
While what rage2 said about the placebo, it seems to have worked this time for me. Although, it's a very good explanation for something like this.

When it works, people swear by it. When it doesn't, people tell them they took it wrong.

But I was recently getting a runny nose and a sore throat two days ago, took 3 capsule before I went to bed, 2 capsules three times the next day and 1 capsule three times a day the day after. No sign of sickness anymore.

But it's damn expensive haha

schocker
06-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by rage2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo
That is what it has been for me each time I have tried it. Followed the instructions and it always did nothing.

rage2
06-18-2008, 08:02 AM
When you take 18 pills, you drink a lot of water along with it. When I get sick, I drink a lot of water, and have the same effect.

ExtraSlow
06-18-2008, 08:04 AM
It's not a substitute for Buckleys or Benilyn. Those medicines treat the symptoms of a cold, and cold-FX is supposed to shorten the duration of a cold by strengthening the immune system.
Does it work? That's a solid maybe.

I keep bottles of Echinacea, Ginseng and Vitamin C handy, and when I'm getting sick, I pound those. Buying the name brand Cold-Fx was a little too expensive.

Thaco
06-18-2008, 08:06 AM
When you take 18 pills, you drink a lot of water along with it. When I get sick, I drink a lot of water, and have the same effect.

that's the same with headaches, most of them are just due to dehydration, people take a couple tylenol/advil with a big glass of water, generally the water is more effective than the pills.

teggypimp95
06-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah i find it works if you take it right when you start to get a cold. It is expensive but damn i hate being sick.

GQBalla
06-18-2008, 09:29 AM
some people love it -

i never take it,

what i do when im beginning to feel sick i take some echinchea (sp) and vitamin c.

when i have a sore throat, the first thing i do right when im beginning to feel a sore throat coming up i do a salt water gurgle. Basically i take a cup of hot water and dissolve as much salt in it as possible.

headach i just drink as much water as i can.

migraines unfortunately i take advil liquid gels.

but so far i dont know of anything that works for my coughs except cough medicine and cough drops

rage2
06-18-2008, 10:10 AM
ColdFX is only supposed to help stop a cold from getting serious when you first start getting symptoms. Whenever I feel a cold coming, I drink lots of water and try to get a full 10 hrs of sleep for 2 nights. That's it. Works everytime.

Mitsu3000gt
06-18-2008, 10:38 AM
I drink a lot of water and I get sick (i.e. cold/flu) once per year at most. Also, when I do get sick, it lasts about 3 days (how long you are supposed to take cold FX for). I think if you're healthy and drink a lot of water its not worth it at all.

arian_ma
06-18-2008, 10:46 AM
regardless of whether it is a placebo effect or not, I mean, if it works and saves you a week's worth of grief, is that not it doing it's job anyways?

ray8181
06-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I drink a lot of water and I get sick (i.e. cold/flu) once per year at most. Also, when I do get sick, it lasts about 3 days (how long you are supposed to take cold FX for). I think if you're healthy and drink a lot of water its not worth it at all.

day 1 - take 3 capsules 2 times during the day
day 2 - take 2 capsules 2 times during the day
day 3 - take 1 capsule 2 times during the day

Masked Bandit
06-18-2008, 03:23 PM
I've got a buddy that is a pharmacist that says it's complete bunk.

eb0i
06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
I used to take it when I got a sore throat and found that it worked. But now I just drink a ton of water when my throat gets sore and it does the same thing.

broken_legs
06-19-2008, 12:54 AM
I've been sick for a week.

bad headache

sneezing
runny nose
cough

etc...

My gf gave me 3 cold Fx before bed, i woke up and felt like a champ, the cold had gone away. All that day I was fine until the evening then I started getting sick again and the next two days were terrible

It seems like the three pills made a difference before bed that night. I went out and bought a big bottle of pills today and started taking them.

I'll report tomorrow to see if my cold is really gone. (i'm still sick as a dog)

Rocky
06-19-2008, 01:06 AM
I do the 2-a-day all school year. Keeps me feeling good, especially in such a dirty atmosphere (campus). I find they do help cold symptoms too.

Bimmer88
06-19-2008, 01:34 AM
I've found this stuff to work awesome!

It apparently released more macrophages in your immune system to deal with the invading bacteria or virus etc...

It has helped my in the past if I'm just beginning but if I leave it a day or two, and try Cold-FX... doesn't work... probably cause by then its too late.

Steve

zarge
06-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Depending on your fiscal situation.. $30 is okay or it isn't The Placebo discussion requires a new thread.

herragge
06-19-2008, 02:45 AM
It is complete BS. I'd generally agree with rage2 and say that it is based (somewhat) on the placebo effect. I have done a scientific study in one of my classes on cold fx and I'll tell you the results I found.

Cold FX is a preventative "medicine." That means that it is supposed to PREVENT the common cold from occuring. Chances are if your already sick and take it, and feel better it is not because of the pill but simply other factors. Usually just plain and simply, your immune system is dealing with it.

On that note, how can you tell that a preventative medicine is effective?? If you don't get sick, how do you know it's not just your immune system killing off the cold?? The body is dynamic and unique between different people so clinical trials aren't as reliable for preventative medicines.

The active plant of Cold FX is Panax quinquefolius or more commonly referred to as North American ginseng. NA ginseng is known to have STIMULANT effects, whereas Chinese ginseng is known to have soothing effects. The active compound in the ginseng is a carbohydrate. Carbohydrates are NOT secondary compounds and therefore are not known to have effects in defense. In summary, you are paying for stuff that hasn't been proven explicitly to boost the immune system.

UBC professors have also criticized the validity of the tests the company that created Cold FX did. Many of the results were not properly interpreted or calculated.

Cliff notes: Cold FX is a hoax.

rage2
06-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

bad headache

sneezing
runny nose
cough

etc...

My gf gave me 3 cold Fx before bed, i woke up and felt like a champ, the cold had gone away. All that day I was fine until the evening then I started getting sick again and the next two days were terrible

It seems like the three pills made a difference before bed that night. I went out and bought a big bottle of pills today and started taking them.
The Placebo Effect hard at work! See below on what Cold-FX claims to do.

Originally posted by herragge
Cold FX is a preventative "medicine." That means that it is supposed to PREVENT the common cold from occuring. Chances are if your already sick and take it, and feel better it is not because of the pill but simply other factors. Usually just plain and simply, your immune system is dealing with it.
In his case, his brain thinks he's taking medicine, so he feels good for the day. Placebo Effect defined right there.

ray8181
06-20-2008, 01:44 AM
so im on day 4 of this cold-fx and it aint working lol switching to buckleys tommorow

rc2002
06-20-2008, 09:43 AM
ColdFX is only supposed to help stop a cold from getting serious when you first start getting symptoms. Whenever I feel a cold coming, I drink lots of water and try to get a full 10 hrs of sleep for 2 nights. That's it. Works everytime.

Yup. By the time you start feeling the symptoms, it's usually too late for coldFX. I've tried it everytime I've gotten sick for the last couple years and it hasn't really done much. Sleep and water make a way bigger difference.

One more thing that should be known is that the retailers send the unsold bottles back to the manufacturer/distributor when they expire. It's anyone's guess as to what happens to the pills, but my guess is that they just repackage and reuse them.

Also just check out what happened to their stock price. I think it's a pretty good indication for the confidence (actually the lack thereof) people have in it.

khtm
06-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I've got a buddy that is a pharmacist that says it's complete bunk. Well gee what a surprise, somebody that pushes drugs for a living is saying a natural supplement is bunk. That's odd. :rolleyes:

Bimmer88
06-21-2008, 01:15 AM
They also have memory enhancing drugs... now... lol.

broken_legs
06-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

bad headache

sneezing
runny nose
cough

etc...

I'll report tomorrow to see if my cold is really gone. (i'm still sick as a dog)

SO yeah....

\Nothing really conculsuve, i did feel a bit better the next day and now I am over the cold

But very hard to say if the cold FX made a difference teh second time around.