PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem

Shaolin
08-27-2003, 12:32 AM
hello, a buddy just called about 30 minutes ago asking me what to do, long story short, I told him I've never ran into this problem before, and it's a good chance that it's a virus.. anyways, I told him to cliff note the problem and alternatives to me, and here it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer A works fine but monitor is acting weird on 08/25/03.
Morning of 08/26/03 computer A won’t boot. Error “press shift F4 for setup”
Determine that onboard videocard is damaged on Computer A and proceed to purchase new mother board w/o video. Install this K7S5A and a simple PC133 videocard and monitor issue is fixed but computer A still won’t boot. Try to reinstall Win 2000 pro and findout that HD has damaged clusters/chains.

Here’s where it gets weird.

Decided to install HD from computer A to Computer B which is working perfect at 10:00pm 08/26/03. Comp. B has 2 HD’s one for win 2000pro and 1 for data. Connect HD from computer A to Computer B at ribbon cable for cd rom drive. Computer B boots but will not recognize added HD. Attempt to adjust CMOS to detect all HD’s and restart. Still nothing. Now computer B won’t detect any HD’s, its own or the added from computer A.

Disconnect HD from comp. A and the problem persists. Comp B will no longer detect its own hard drives. Again attempt to adjust CMOS to detect, no success. Proceed to remove jumper at mother board on Computer B to reset CMOS, again no HD detection on reboot.

So the addition of the HD from computer A results in the detection errors on computer B after it has been connected for a moment. Does this sound like a Boot Sector virus or something else?

Options available:
1. Formatting HD’s on computer B if dire need exists.
2. Formatting HD on computer A only after data has been recovered.
3. Returning hard drive from Computer B and getting new one as this is 6 mos. Old.
4. Figuring out a real alternative which actually fixes the problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any ideas?

Khyron
08-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Definately return HD - say (truth) that you tried it in 2 computers, and it didnt work. I dunno how you hosed the 2nd one tho - you normally can't do that even if you try...

Khyron

the-240sx-guy
08-27-2003, 08:44 AM
unless you replaced it with the exact same motherboard, ur not goign to be able to run the original harddrive as a master on the new computer.

at best you can slave it, which you mentioned that you did in place of the cd rom, when your doing this remeber to change the jumper settings on the back of the harddrive, from master to slave.