PDA

View Full Version : Propane Mods

biggreenmachine
06-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Hey all,
I'm really new to propane and need some direction. I just cracked my block so I'm building a new 351W. I dont have a pile of money but I want to do all the internal mods I'll need later while its appart now. Finding this info has proven to be difficult and all I know I want so far is High compession pistons and some day I'll add a turbo or something. I've also been advised to remove the cam it had and go back to a stock cam.
Any insight to things I'll want get done while its apart would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys!

stevo 27
06-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Propane :thumbsdow

del has tried for years and just can't get over 500hp reliably with a propane powered 454

but if you go through with it get some hardedned valves (propane burns hotter than gas 1500-1600 degree's all day long)
some 12.0-1 comp pistons
scat rods and crank (its garbage but cheap)
and get a real big meaty cam

your gonna need some bigger mixers or you can use 2 400cfm one on a dual tunnel ram

and ditch the propane

biggreenmachine
06-18-2008, 08:31 PM
I'd actually be happy with 500 hp. Any other thoughts?

alloroc
06-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by biggreenmachine
Hey all,
I'm really new to propane and need some direction. I just cracked my block so I'm building a new 351W. I dont have a pile of money but I want to do all the internal mods I'll need later while its appart now. Finding this info has proven to be difficult and all I know I want so far is High compession pistons and some day I'll add a turbo or something. I've also been advised to remove the cam it had and go back to a stock cam.
Any insight to things I'll want get done while its apart would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys!

If it is a track car and you are going to be using race gas, propane sucks.

If you are building a street car and tuning it for propane 24/7 it is actually pretty good, not great but pretty damned good, and economical in Alberta.

It just like any other engine though. You have to choose between a normally aspirated build or a boosted build. - going 12:1 and then adding a turbo later is not going to work, because you will have to rip out the pistons because you get more boosted power if you start with lower compression - less than 9:1. You want a big cam for N/A and a mild cam for boosted. etc. same rules apply as gas.

biggreenmachine
06-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks alloroc. yes its a street/offroad truck.
That being considered, what will give the best bang for buck. N/A or boosted? Keeping in mind i want to see power but I also want to try to keep the engine effecient.