PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on trucks

5gluder
08-27-2003, 11:42 AM
So were thinking of buying a truck, my knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to trucks. Were looking to spend $15,000(give or take a grand), what are some good trucks that are durable. I don't want to worry about the truck falling apart due to poor manufacturing, something reliable. Also i prefer to stay with a V6 or 4cyl.

Thanks

fast95pony
08-27-2003, 01:08 PM
What are you using the truck for ?? 4WD or 2WD ?? The Mazda B series/Ford Ranger seem to be quite popular. A friend has had 2 Rangers ,and they've been very reliable. 2WD would be cheaper to maintain and better on gas. Auto trader mags would probably be a good place to start and see whats available. Calgary should have lots of trucks around,given the number of rednecks ! :D

5gluder
08-27-2003, 01:17 PM
No specific use for the truck, other than driving from point a to b. Checked the ads, too many to choose from. Tring to figure out a good truck that won't cause me headachs.

fast95pony
08-27-2003, 01:23 PM
Ahh, I see. There is lots to choose from..

nismodrifter
08-27-2003, 01:29 PM
considering an SUV as well or only a TRUCK?

Weapon_R
08-27-2003, 01:33 PM
If you just want a good reliable truck to transport from a to b, check the Toyota Tacoma. Awesome little truck.

If you want to actually buy a truck for it's intended use, buy a Chevy Sierra. My uncle has racked up over 300k on one of these without any serious problems. They are very well built trucks. But it is a v8 350.

5.9 R/T
08-27-2003, 01:44 PM
97 and up dakota. You can get one for stupid cheap, the 97-99 came with either a 4cyl, 6cyl, or 8cyl. Lost of room, shift on the fly 4wd, and imo for those years the best looking truck you can get. Used tacos are hard to find, and very expensive for this reason, you can get a much newer dakota thats in better shape with much less km for cheaper. The 97 and up dak is also a very reliable vehicle.

5gluder
08-27-2003, 01:50 PM
I was leaning towards a Dakota, but a friend of mine who has one said it's not very reliable. He has constant problems with his.

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
97 and up dakota. You can get one for stupid cheap, the 97-99 came with either a 4cyl, 6cyl, or 8cyl. Lost of room, shift on the fly 4wd, and imo for those years the best looking truck you can get. Used tacos are hard to find, and very expensive for this reason, you can get a much newer dakota thats in better shape with much less km for cheaper. The 97 and up dak is also a very reliable vehicle.

buh_buh
08-27-2003, 02:05 PM
damn you guys selling your Preludes.
Haha I want to sell mine too. :(

5.9 R/T
08-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by 5gluder
I was leaning towards a Dakota, but a friend of mine who has one said it's not very reliable. He has constant problems with his.

I can name someone that has owned almost every single vehicle that has had constant problems with it, from toyota to ford, honda to chrysler. Since 96 we've had dakota(s) and we've only incountered one problem. I also know of two other people, one with a V6 sport and one with the V8 sport who have had theirs since 97 and 99 respectivly who have had no problems.

The two R/T's we had were solid, even more so then the Fronty, and had less problems then the G35 has.

max_boost
08-27-2003, 02:15 PM
I thought you meant new......

Anyway the new Dodge Ram is freaking sweet! Perhaps the most aggressive front end on a truck EVER! haha

The new Nissan Titan looks fairly promissing as well :)

5gluder
08-27-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
damn you guys selling your Preludes.
Haha I want to sell mine too. :(

Haha, i'm neVAR going to sell my lude, which means you have to keep yours. Unless you wanna sell me your parts for cheap:D. Truck is for my sister.

5gluder
08-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

I can name someone that has owned almost every single vehicle that has had constant problems with it, from toyota to ford, honda to chrysler. Since 96 we've had dakota(s) and we've only incountered one problem. I also know of two other people, one with a V6 sport and one with the V8 sport who have had theirs since 97 and 99 respectivly who have had no problems.

The two R/T's we had were solid, even more so then the Fronty, and had less problems then the G35 has.

Hmmm, okay i'm going to see if i can find some more info. Do you happen to know of any good websites i should check out? I don't want the R/T since they guzzle gas.

Max- yeah i would love to get the new dogde rams, i would probably drive it more than the lude. But it has to be a used truck:(

nismodrifter
08-27-2003, 05:44 PM
might want to check into a nissan frontier

nice looking trucks and won't KILL you everytime you fill up

5.9 R/T
08-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Mostly R/T based stuff. My knowledge for the V6 is rather limited, but I know it is essentially a 318 (5.2L) V8 missing two cylinders. And they are both known for being very sturdy motors. If fuel economy is the ultimate goal here though I wouldn't recommend a Dakota, since they are bigger and heavier then the other compact trucks they still won't be able to match the smaller guys when it comes to mpg, even with the V6.

nickopolis
08-27-2003, 06:54 PM
toyota sr5 those thigns are sweet and last a long time.

That.Guy.S30
08-27-2003, 07:56 PM
go for a trd tocoma. cuzin had one. it was sweet

Nix87
08-28-2003, 01:47 PM

Dont buy a dodge truck. Heard nothing but bad things and there apparantley sticky on warranty as well..Just my opinion but id stick with Chev or Ford.
Nick

James
08-28-2003, 04:11 PM
one thing dodge does well is trucks....considering the value for the money, id say look into a Dakota.....like 5.9 said Tacoma's are sweet, but expensive etc..

T5_X
08-28-2003, 05:14 PM
anecdotal data everwhere :rolleyes:

Consumer reports has the tacoma way in front of the pack with reliability in this class, with the ranger/b series and the nissan pickups pretty close (nissan has the edge a little more) and the S-10s and Dakotas lagging far behind.

Ranger gets highest safety ratings, is cheap to fix, has shitty resale value so you can pick one up cheap and is generally a better work truck (no other compact 2wd has a leaf spring over axle setup) Tacomas are fantastic trucks, but the resale on them is retardedly high, you won't find many under 15 grand, even early models, and if you do, it'll be a base 4 cyl 2wd.

BTW, check that top 25 lemon cars list posted on here, both the dakota and blazer (based on s-10) are on the list

Weapon_R
08-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Seriously consider a newer Chevy S-10. The engines in these is very, very strong. Reliability report or not, we've had a Blazer (much of the same setup, but an SUV) and it's very reliable.

The 4.3L V6 is a little heavy on gas, but the engine pushes the numbers. Nearly 200HP and 250lbs of torque will move the lighter truck very, very effortlessly. Besides, since the S10 is pretty popular, you'll find it for a great price.

T5_X
08-28-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Seriously consider a newer Chevy S-10. The engines in these is very, very strong. Reliability report or not, we've had a Blazer (much of the same setup, but an SUV) and it's very reliable.

The 4.3L V6 is a little heavy on gas, but the engine pushes the numbers. Nearly 200HP and 250lbs of torque will move the lighter truck very, very effortlessly. Besides, since the S10 is pretty popular, you'll find it for a great price.

Hit and miss, I know ppl as well who have never had problems with thier blazers, but i know more who have, consumer reports often uses it as an example for an unreliable vehicle.

Yes, the 4.3 is an excellent engine, very torquey. V6 Vortec S10s are very fun trucks, especially mated to a 5 speed. If you want to go the sport truck route, the best platform for mods is the 4.3 S10.

5gluder
10-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Back from the dead:) limit price has changed to $20,000. I've narrowed it down to three:
1)Toyota Tacoma
2)Nissan Frontier
2)Dodge Dakota

Also I have expanded my search into SUV's, i personally like to Tahoe's but that's based on looks.
I perfer a vehicle that is not more than 4 years old and seats 4.

Kona9
10-29-2003, 04:10 PM
TOYOTA TOYOTA TOYOTA TOYOTA

wasabyboy
08-26-2004, 01:14 PM
Tacoma

5.9 R/T
08-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Don't get a Fronty. They have a cheap interior, their V6 is gutless and sucks gas down only slightly less then an R/T (5.9 V8) on the highway, city is a little better, and ours has had so many little problems since we bought it and we've had to fight the stealership on each one for warrenty repair, even went so far as to file a claim before they repaired that last problem. Shitty truck, shitty service.

You'll get more for your money with the dodge, more power, more interior space, more payload/towing, and a much newer truck then the taco but the taco will probably be more reliable and even though the big depreciation is already over the taco will still hold its value better then the dak.

Jeevin
08-28-2004, 06:36 PM
get a 2004 Dakota with the 3.7 L V6

210 Horsepower/ 235lb/ft torque!

lots of power and like $2
2,000 brand new!

get one used, and thats a bonus

Jeevin
08-28-2004, 06:37 PM
*$22, 000

got cut off

bbcustoms
08-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Back from the dead:) limit price has changed to $20,000. I've narrowed it down to three:
1)Toyota Tacoma
2)Nissan Frontier
2)Dodge Dakota

Also I have expanded my search into SUV's, i personally like to Tahoe's but that's based on looks.
I perfer a vehicle that is not more than 4 years old and seats 4.

Get rid of the Dodge for sure
I have a 89 toy and the thing is unbreakable
I havent heard anything too bad on the nissan but whatever you do dont buy the dodge

Jeevin
08-29-2004, 05:13 PM
please give reasons for not getting dodge.

89 Toyota is gutless and rusts like hell
very reliable tho

If you are spending 20,000 go for a new dodge, nice reliable/powerful truck

bbcustoms
08-29-2004, 05:21 PM
89 toyota with no rust at all- very reliable
dodge with no rust either but who cares if it looks good when it dosent run
Sorry but mabye its just been my experiences with dodge

bbcustoms
08-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Also the toyota has a V6 and is far from gutless

DonJuan
08-29-2004, 05:46 PM
I'd go with the Toyota... there is a reason they dont seem to depreciate (they don't break). The Frontier is my next pic cuz it's a Nissan and VG30 reliable. Last for the mid sized truck is the Dakota as the V6 one is WAAAY too under powered and also sux on gas (can only imagine what the 4cyl is like). If getting the Dakota opt for the 318 V8.