PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Hikes

Eleanor
06-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Can't believe this hasn't made it on here yet.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=89907782-4c3d-410d-8956-1a5925d1b395

Canada's national insurance industry lobby group met with resistance Tuesday to its call for a hefty 37 per cent premium hike on auto insurance, an increase that would see the average Alberta driver hit with an additional $225 in yearly rate costs.

brown_guy
06-19-2008, 08:53 AM
At this rate no one will drive in summer ....gas prices plus Insurance Omg... What are we gonna do when winter hits???

schocker
06-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by brown_guy
At this rate no one will drive in summer ....gas prices plus Insurance Omg... What are we gonna do when winter hits???
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5638/dogsleddingde6.jpg

that is a pretty substantial hike. i still dont understand how other provinces seem to have alright insurance while not having increases such as this but still provide proper compensation when accidents occur.

teg_boya
06-19-2008, 09:00 AM
ya what the fuck we pay the most money for insurance out of any province and if we get into any kind of collision we cant even claim it because our insurance will then proceed to double. Alberta insurance is bs

403Gemini
06-19-2008, 09:14 AM
What the hell did you guys expect? With the soft tissue cap removed rates are going to hike

So whoever thought: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/02/08/insurance-ruling.html

was a good idea, well now you're seeing the reprecussion. Blame the people who are taking advantage of the cap removed.

rmk
06-19-2008, 09:20 AM
I've stopped caring. My company is a bunch of assholes anyways. Pay and go :drama:

403Gemini
06-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Who knows, maybe it'll cut a few people off the road and the price of gas will go down?

... :rofl: okay im done dreaming.

Speed_69
06-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
What the hell did you guys expect? With the soft tissue cap removed rates are going to hike

So whoever thought: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/02/08/insurance-ruling.html

was a good idea, well now you're seeing the reprecussion. Blame the people who are taking advantage of the cap removed.
:werd: Everyone should have already seen this coming when the cap was removed. If insurance companies are paying out more for claims, they obviously gotta make it up in higher premiums.

Eleanor
06-19-2008, 10:02 AM

Yeah I know, I was expecting it, however I had to laugh at the editorial in the Herald (I think that's where I saw it) talking about how the insurance companies are already making too much profit, and that this ruling would only cut into their margins, not our wallets. Companies don't work that way :rofl:

Xtrema
06-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Cars cost more, repair cost more, medical services cost more. Insurance will cost more.

But we should shift the cost to bad drivers and not the general public.

Each at-fault non-injury accident should add 50% to the previous rate.

Each at-fault injury accident should add 100% to the previous rate.

Each traffic offense will increase premium by 20%.

Driving without insurance should be a criminal offense with a minimal prison term be the period the of the person is without insurance on the vehicle involved in the accident.

Masked Bandit
06-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by teg_boya
ya what the fuck we pay the most money for insurance out of any province and if we get into any kind of collision we cant even claim it because our insurance will then proceed to double. Alberta insurance is bs

Get a clue Junior. Move your ass to Toronto, ask for a quote and then tell me Alberta insurance is too high.

If you don't like it, pick one province East or West and pack your U-Haul.

Masked Bandit
06-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Yeah I know, I was expecting it, however I had to laugh at the editorial in the Herald (I think that's where I saw it) talking about how the insurance companies are already making too much profit, and that this ruling would only cut into their margins, not our wallets. Companies don't work that way :rofl:

Finally, someone with some common sense. Thank you.

Masked Bandit
06-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by rmk
I've stopped caring. My company is a bunch of assholes anyways. Pay and go :drama:

Sadly, this is probably quite close to the truth.

gretz
06-19-2008, 11:51 AM
^^ TO insurance was going to cost my buddy $6000 a year for a $1500 ef. Thats f'kd

Tomaz
06-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Beleieve it or not, my insurance is going down still!!!!

keep in mind I was paying nearly $1000/month 3 years ago.

Anyway! i freeking hate these insurance hikes! the idea of the market-style insurance was a scam to begin with. Would it be such a bad idea to have public insurance like in almost every other province in Canada? Or better driver's training?

I don't know, i wish i had sollutions...

mazdavirgin
06-19-2008, 12:06 PM

I blame our retard government that passed a law that was struck down for being unconstitutional. You think they would have checked before making such a stupid move? I don't get why the BC auto insurance is cheaper and has better coverage than our rates in Alberta... Lastly the Insurance companies are making record profits here in Alberta. Geez I wonder why that might be?

ralliart_girl
06-19-2008, 12:12 PM
The whole reform system - was based on alot of research that was done on the ONT. injuries system...so i was actually quite surpise to hear that a judge shot it down...

wait...how does BC have better coverage????

Masked Bandit
06-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

I blame our retard government that passed a law that was struck down for being unconstitutional. You think they would have checked before making such a stupid move? I don't get why the BC auto insurance is cheaper and has better coverage than our rates in Alberta... Lastly the Insurance companies are making record profits here in Alberta. Geez I wonder why that might be?

Hold on there buddy......what makes you think ICBC is cheaper than Alberta?

mazdavirgin
06-19-2008, 12:20 PM
A couple years old but the rates haven't changed much... Note this included the soft tissue caps.

http://www.consumer.ca/pdfs/cac_2005_study_ontario_july_18_2005_.pdf

Masked Bandit
06-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't know where those guys got there data from but I can tell you that some of the number pertaining to Alberta have to be wrong.....like way wrong.

One of the numbers was the average price of people in Cochrane. It listed at $1611. No....bloody....way. If you are only looking at people 25 and under, maybe. Including all the adults, impossible.

This debate of government vs. private industry comes up every time anything changes in the insurance world. Unless the people voicing opinion have ACTUAL INSURANCE INDUSTRY KNOWLEDGE, it's just people bitching and moaning about something they know nothing about.

I've been a consumer of both government and private insurance. I work in private insurance and I have a very close friend who works in government insurance. I've been on both sides of the fence as a consumer and from an employment viewpoint and I can tell you this......there is no way government insurance is better for the consumer in the long run. It might work out better if you are the 17 year old kid that wants to drive a RHD whatever and be all fast and furious...but that's about it. Ask the 40 year old family guy with a minivan......Alberta's got the better deal.

Just remember kids, you're only high risk for the first nine years of your fifty plus driving year career. Do you want to pay the higher rates for the first nine or the last fifty?

revelations
06-19-2008, 12:40 PM
ICBC might be cheaper - if your comparing a brand-new licenced 17yr old driving a corvette to one from AB.

My motorcycle was 125$/mo in BC, and here its 40$ mo... same deductible/coverage and w/perfect record.

Speed_69
06-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

I hate it when people always talk about insurance companies making too much profit. Insurance companies don't make profit from the premiums that people pay..the amount paid out on claims each year is more then the premiums they earn. Insurance companies make money from re-investing the money they've taken from their clients.

Please don't make assumptions that BC Auto Insurance rates are cheaper then Alberta. BC insurance is only cheaper for drivers who have crappy records w/ claims and convictions. For the drivers who have good records w/ experience..you'll find that AB insurance is cheaper.

ralliart_girl
06-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Unless the people voicing opinion have ACTUAL INSURANCE INDUSTRY KNOWLEDGE, it's just people bitching and moaning about something they know nothing about.

:werd:

dansmith11
06-19-2008, 01:20 PM
you can say whatever you want, insurance is sitll a shit deal.

and you cant say its a business and has to make money blah blah, becuase its not just a regular business, no one forces me by law to shop at the GAP or buy mcdonalds, so no its not the same.

im forced by law to purchase your companies service. and then if i drift over the speed limit one day, or forget to signal a lane change (which costs the insurnace company NOTHING) im forced by law to pay you homos more money. ya that seems fair right?

and dont gimme some crap about people with tickets and junk being more likely to cause accidents, that might be true, but until i actually cause an accident which causes them to pay out money, its a SCAM to make me pay more based on something that didnt cost them a dime.

and then if i actually get into an accident where they have to pay out, first step is for them to do everything they possibly can to avoid payment and pay me out the least amount of money possible. next step is to raise my rates so much for so long that i end up paying back all the money they paid out to me over the next few years anyhow.

so wtf am i paying for before my accident? im giving them all this money, and then if they ever have to give any back, they charge me extra until ive re-payed eveything they gave me. ya that seems fair also.

how about a system where if i make a claim, they compare the amount ive paid to them over the years vs. what the claim pay out is, and if the pay out is less then a certange perctenage of what ive paid them, then they dont get to raise my rates.

that way the people who are taking more out of the pot then they are putting in can carry the load. and i dont end up paying 10,000 over a few years so i can get 2000 worth of coverage. but wait, that wont work, then you fags will make less money.

fuck insurance.

(edit. guess i should make it clear im not actually calling you guys that work for insurnace companies fags, lol i just hate insurance companies, and yes im pretty much just bitching and complaining, but maybe if it wasnt a nightmare trying to get anything done anytime i ever have to deal with insurance, then i wouldnt hate the companies all so much, its bad enough we are all forced to pay for this junk, then they have to give us crappy service and treat us all like shit as well)

Speed_69
06-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by dansmith11
you can say whatever you want, insurance is sitll a shit deal.

and you cant say its a business and has to make money blah blah, becuase its not just a regular business, no one forces me by law to shop at the GAP or buy mcdonalds, so no its not the same.

im forced by law to purchase your companies service. and then if i drift over the speed limit one day, or forget to signal a lane change (which costs the insurnace company NOTHING) im forced by law to pay you homos more money. ya that seems fair right?

and dont gimme some crap about people with tickets and junk being more likely to cause accidents, that might be true, but until i actually cause an accident which causes them to pay out money, its a SCAM to make me pay more based on something that didnt cost them a dime.

and then if i actually get into an accident where they have to pay out, first step is for them to do everything they possibly can to avoid payment and pay me out the least amount of money possible. next step is to raise my rates so much for so long that i end up paying back all the money they paid out to me over the next few years anyhow.

so wtf am i paying for before my accident? im giving them all this money, and then if they ever have to give any back, they charge me extra until ive re-payed eveything they gave me. ya that seems fair also.

how about a system where if i make a claim, they compare the amount ive paid to them over the years vs. what the claim pay out is, and if the pay out is less then a certange perctenage of what ive paid them, then they dont get to raise my rates.

that way the people who are taking more out of the pot then they are putting in can carry the load. and i dont end up paying 10,000 over a few years so i can get 2000 worth of coverage. but wait, that wont work, then you fags will make less money.

fuck insurance.
No one is forcing you to buy insurance. You can always self-insure if you're so smart. You purchase insurance for peace of mind. If you were ever to be involved in an accident, would you be financially capable for paying all the expenses, property damages and bodily injury you cause to others? I don't think think so. Insurance rates are based on statistics. Drivers who receive more tickets for violations are a higher RISK then those who don't have any. Insurance is all about RISK.

rage2
06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Prices going up because the cap is lifted? I don't remember my premiums dropping when the cap was set. If anything, my prices went UP.

Not that I really care at this point, my insurance is cheap cuz I don't drive like a chinese guy.

Eleanor
06-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
I hate it when people always talk about insurance companies making too much profit. Insurance companies don't make profit from the premiums that people pay..the amount paid out on claims each year is more then the premiums they earn. Insurance companies make money from re-investing the money they've taken from their clients.

Doesn't really matter where they got it from, profit is profit :rofl:

Skyline_Addict
06-19-2008, 01:38 PM
hmmm i hate to say it, but i can't wait to turn 25....not too far down the road anyway...hehe. my rates are actually pretty good now though, anyway.

ralliart_girl
06-19-2008, 01:50 PM
arr...! I am done with trying to explain insurance to people that know nothing about insurance....there is like this big stima that is attached to anything insurance company related!

My goodness...the only person that is hated more than an insurance anything...is like a person that works with Revenue Canada.

Think about it - why would anyone be in business to loss money?

civicman
06-19-2008, 01:52 PM
I love my Insurance rates. I pay very little for 2 bikes and 2 cars that are fully Insured to the nutz. $180 a month ain't that bad. But for the cap It was a givin Insurance was going to go up. But what hasn't gone up these days shouldn't be a suprise to anyone anymore in this day and age.

dansmith11
06-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl
arr...! I am done with trying to explain insurance to people that know nothing about insurance....there is like this big stima that is attached to anything insurance company related!

My goodness...the only person that is hated more than an insurance anything...is like a person that works with Revenue Canada.

Think about it - why would anyone be in business to loss money?

and dont you think theres a reason everyone hates insurnace companies? why is it that 90% of people who have ever dealt with insurance feel that they have been treated poorly and screwed over? gee i guess its all our fault, it cant have anything to do with the insurance companies. its all our fault for not understading. thats a nice business model. all my customers are unhappy, must be the customers fault for not understanding.

and ya obviously no ones going to go into business to loss money. and thats the problem with running insurance as a business. its a mandatory thing that im forced by law to have, so its being run to make profit, just like any other business. only the difference is any other business in the universe if i dont like how its being run, i dont spend my money there anymore. whereas with insurance im forced by law to do it.

old&slow
06-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Insurance is one of a few companies that consider you to be crooked before you pay them dime...that's basically the bottom line. It's legalized theft. Them and the lawyers and politicians are ruining our lifestyle!

ralliart_girl
06-19-2008, 05:40 PM
I am done with trying to explain insurance to people that know nothing about insurance. :banghead:

403Gemini
06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
A couple years old but the rates haven't changed much... Note this included the soft tissue caps.

http://www.consumer.ca/pdfs/cac_2005_study_ontario_july_18_2005_.pdf

:rofl: not a fight you want to get into, plz sit down.

and dont you think theres a reason everyone hates insurnace companies? why is it that 90% of people who have ever dealt with insurance feel that they have been treated poorly and screwed over? gee i guess its all our fault, it cant have anything to do with the insurance companies. its all our fault for not understading. thats a nice business model. all my customers are unhappy, must be the customers fault for not understanding.

and ya obviously no ones going to go into business to loss money. and thats the problem with running insurance as a business. its a mandatory thing that im forced by law to have, so its being run to make profit, just like any other business. only the difference is any other business in the universe if i dont like how its being run, i dont spend my money there anymore. whereas with insurance im forced by law to do it.

92% of all statistics taken in 70% of Canada are made up.

Sorry , where did you get that "90% of people arent happy with insurance" - you arent happy because you pay a high premium? As said before, self insure if you want to take the gamble... just be prepared to pay out YOURSELF for any claims where you might rear end that person who slams on their brakes, or if you slide into somebody on the snow, or god forbid somebody hits your car and takes off... its peace of mind. You're a fucking idiot, plain and simple. You're getting into a discussion you have next to NO knowledge about and every post you make proves that.

Masked Bandit
06-19-2008, 08:23 PM

Bitch if you want....you'll still pay whether you like it or not. We still win....lol.

Akagi Redsuns
06-20-2008, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Prices going up because the cap is lifted? I don't remember my premiums dropping when the cap was set. If anything, my prices went UP.

Not that I really care at this point, my insurance is cheap cuz I don't drive like a chinese guy.

My insurance went down a whopping $3/year after the cap was set. The best part was that my insurance company made such a big deal about the savings. With my renewal letter they mentioned the check that was coming, then another letter with the check, then another follow-up letter hyping it up again. Why they didn't just apply it towards my premium from the very beginning I have no idea.

dansmith11
06-20-2008, 09:03 AM

Bitch if you want....you'll still pay whether you like it or not. We still win....lol.

which is exactly why insurance is gay. i have no choice, so you guys can pretty much do whatever you want and we all have to pay up.

92% of all statistics taken in 70% of Canada are made up.

Sorry , where did you get that "90% of people arent happy with insurance" - you arent happy because you pay a high premium? As said before, self insure if you want to take the gamble... just be prepared to pay out YOURSELF for any claims where you might rear end that person who slams on their brakes, or if you slide into somebody on the snow, or god forbid somebody hits your car and takes off... its peace of mind. You're a fucking idiot, plain and simple. You're getting into a discussion you have next to NO knowledge about and every post you make proves that.

obviously its not a real stat. its just a point that everyone you ever talk to about a dealing with insurnace is always unhappy. i have never heard anyone have a smooth dealing with insurance.

and yes i understand insurance is peace of mind and necessary, the point is the way its being run people are being forced pay high premiums when they shouldnt be, and being treated poorly and screwed over when they actually do need said peace of mind. its not very good peace of mind when i know if i ever make a claim my company is going to do everything in their power to not pay me. i wonder why people do everything they can to avoid going through insurnace when they get in an accident? hmm i guess its becuase insurnace companies are so awesome to deal with and give us all such great peace of mind!

and you guys keep all saying we dont understand so we should just shut up, ya thats a real good attitude, we are being forced to pay high sums of money, and becuase we dont work in the industry and have an in depth knowledge of it we should all just shut up and pay? your the fucking idiot if thats how you do things. duurrr i dont understand this so heres my money sir.

Tik-Tok
06-20-2008, 09:18 AM

One of the numbers was the average price of people in Cochrane. It listed at $1611. No....bloody....way. If you are only looking at people 25 and under, maybe. Including all the adults, impossible.

Yeah, but you have to factor in all the people with D.D. charges under their belt in Cochrane. :rofl:

Masked Bandit
06-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, but you have to factor in all the people with D.D. charges under their belt in Cochrane. :rofl:

lol....just one guy with a cement truck that I can think of?

For an someone over 25, newer car with full coverage and a decent record, they will run $800 to $1000. Now of course there will be a few 17 year olds with three tickets and an accident that will be paying $2500 a year but those people are much, much fewer than the 25 to 80 year old demographic. Keep in mind that for every kid with high premiums, there will be a 58 year old with PLPD that pays $400 a year.

teg_boya
06-20-2008, 10:55 AM
i am 19 with one accident and 4 tickets. for no coverage and only liability it is costing me only 3g/year

ralliart_girl
06-20-2008, 10:58 AM

which is exactly why insurance is gay. i have no choice, so you guys can pretty much do whatever you want and we all have to pay up.

obviously its not a real stat. its just a point that everyone you ever talk to about a dealing with insurnace is always unhappy. i have never heard anyone have a smooth dealing with insurance.

and yes i understand insurance is peace of mind and necessary, the point is the way its being run people are being forced pay high premiums when they shouldnt be, and being treated poorly and screwed over when they actually do need said peace of mind. its not very good peace of mind when i know if i ever make a claim my company is going to do everything in their power to not pay me. i wonder why people do everything they can to avoid going through insurnace when they get in an accident? hmm i guess its becuase insurnace companies are so awesome to deal with and give us all such great peace of mind!

and you guys keep all saying we dont understand so we should just shut up, ya thats a real good attitude, we are being forced to pay high sums of money, and becuase we dont work in the industry and have an in depth knowledge of it we should all just shut up and pay? your the fucking idiot if thats how you do things. duurrr i dont understand this so heres my money sir.

The reason why we tell you to shut up...is because you are not listening. So have you talked to every single person that has been in contact with insurance company? I have been in claims for a couple of years...and yes, there are people that get very angry at me..but there are also lot of people that are very please with the level of serivce (not only from me, but from the insurance companies I work for as well). Claims adjusters (and other insurance people) do not get commissions for ripping you off...

I have to purchase insurance as well. And I have never purchased insurance from the companies I worked for cause I got a better rate with someone else. So no, i don't get deals because I work for an insurance company...i have to pay just like everyone else.

And another thing, the most basic policy will cover your ass if (god forbid) you are ever in an accident that is your fault. It is not as simple as just paying for the other guy's damages. What if they are injured? What if they sue your ass? Your insurance company will find a lawyer to defend you (the policyholder), potential drivers, and of course the insurance company. Some of these claims go way beyond the 2 yr limit....do you really want to have to deal with this?

Plus, you are also forced to obey the law...why don't you complain about that?

2BLUE
06-20-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't agree...Goverment insurance is way easier and way cheaper...I have a yamaha r6 i pay $982.00 a year full coverage through sgi and here i was quoted as high as $4600!!!! Ya right! I used to live here but now my main residency is in sask...but look every second plate is sask on alberta roads..lol

dansmith11
06-20-2008, 03:05 PM

The reason why we tell you to shut up...is because you are not listening. So have you talked to every single person that has been in contact with insurance company? I have been in claims for a couple of years...and yes, there are people that get very angry at me..but there are also lot of people that are very please with the level of serivce (not only from me, but from the insurance companies I work for as well). Claims adjusters (and other insurance people) do not get commissions for ripping you off...

I have to purchase insurance as well. And I have never purchased insurance from the companies I worked for cause I got a better rate with someone else. So no, i don't get deals because I work for an insurance company...i have to pay just like everyone else.

And another thing, the most basic policy will cover your ass if (god forbid) you are ever in an accident that is your fault. It is not as simple as just paying for the other guy's damages. What if they are injured? What if they sue your ass? Your insurance company will find a lawyer to defend you (the policyholder), potential drivers, and of course the insurance company. Some of these claims go way beyond the 2 yr limit....do you really want to have to deal with this?

Plus, you are also forced to obey the law...why don't you complain about that?

ok fine, you talk to more people using insurance then i do, so ill conceed that, maybe theres tons of happy people out there. i dont really think so from my experiences and what ive heard ,but ill have to take your word for it.

i still dont see how that makes it ok to profile people and screw people over and force them to pay high sums of money based on something that they MIGHT do. ya you have stats and junk to back that up, but you can twist stats around to say damn near anything, 97% of all people know that.

and it doesnt even matter how many stats you have i dont think that makes it right, . being able charge me more for being young is pure BS, and i dont see how you can sit here and honestly tell me that you believe its fair. ill even conceed that its fair to charge more for driving infractions showing im higher risk, but doing it based purely on sex/age is retarded. i havent done anything to show im higher risk yet so why should i pay more? and if stats are your only answer, thats pretty lame.

statistically im sure young people are more likely to drive their cars hard and therefore make them more likely to break down more often, but i dont see toyota charging me extra for my warranty for being young.

stastically old people are more likely to need hospital care then young people, but i dont see old people paying more for their alberta health care.

so how is it that the insurnace industy is allowed to charge more based on stats showing something MIGHT happen?

and then theres the whole issue of the fact that i buy insurance for all those great reasons you said, its to protect me and give me peace of mind in case something happens. im buying that service, only problem is, as soon as i use that service, im forced to pay more for it.

using the warranty example again, if i buy an extended warranty on my car, im purchasing that extra piece of mind in case something goes wrong, if i buy that service, then my car breaks down and i have to take in for warranty repairs, im not forced to pay more for the remainder of my warranty now becuase i used the service. so how does it make sense for the insurance company to do so?

and as for complaining about being forced to obey the law, if the law is retared, ill complain about that too. just because something is a law doesnt make it right and doesnt mean everyone should just smile and nod and go along with it.

rc2002
06-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by teg_boya
for no coverage and only liability it is costing me only 3g/year

LOL @ only 3g/year

Masked Bandit
06-20-2008, 03:36 PM

statistically im sure young people are more likely to drive their cars hard and therefore make them more likely to break down more often, but i dont see toyota charging me extra for my warranty for being young.

Ummmm....your auto warranty does not cover items busted by abusive, hard driving. Only factory defect. If you think a car company won't try and dick you out of some warranty work given the opportunity, you need to do some learnin' son.

Someday....when you grow up and learn a little bit about how life works, you'll realize how short-sighted your arguement on this topic is.

Oh ya......keep payin' those premiums eh.....we appreciate it. ;)

403Gemini
06-20-2008, 03:44 PM

ok fine, you talk to more people using insurance then i do, so ill conceed that, maybe theres tons of happy people out there. i dont really think so from my experiences and what ive heard ,but ill have to take your word for it.

Nobody gives a shit about your circle jerk with friends crying about how you're getting "SCREWED BY THE MAN! ... pass the bong dude"

i still dont see how that makes it ok to profile people and screw people over and force them to pay high sums of money based on something that they MIGHT do. ya you have stats and junk to back that up, but you can twist stats around to say damn near anything, 97% of all people know that.

and it doesnt even matter how many stats you have i dont think that makes it right, . being able charge me more for being young is pure BS, and i dont see how you can sit here and honestly tell me that you believe its fair. ill even conceed that its fair to charge more for driving infractions showing im higher risk, but doing it based purely on sex/age is retarded. i havent done anything to show im higher risk yet so why should i pay more? and if stats are your only answer, thats pretty lame.

stastically old people are more likely to need hospital care then young people, but i dont see old people paying more for their alberta health care.

so how is it that the insurnace industy is allowed to charge more based on stats showing something MIGHT happen?

You're clearly an expert in risk analysis arent you... :rolleyes: Odds and statistics do not lie. These stats have been taken for decades. If all of a sudden 16-25 year olds stop getting into accidents, you can certainly bet your whiney bitch ass that the rates would drop.

Do i believe its fair? I didnt when i was 23 and younger, I didn't understand. I look back now and compare my driving habits than and now, and i sure as fuck agree with them. I think anybody 25+ will agree with them. If they don't, well chances are they are still a shitty driver.

and then theres the whole issue of the fact that i buy insurance for all those great reasons you said, its to protect me and give me peace of mind in case something happens. im buying that service, only problem is, as soon as i use that service, im forced to pay more for it.

using the warranty example again, if i buy an extended warranty on my car, im purchasing that extra piece of mind in case something goes wrong, if i buy that service, then my car breaks down and i have to take in for warranty repairs, im not forced to pay more for the remainder of my warranty now becuase i used the service. so how does it make sense for the insurance company to do so?

again... just stop fucking talking. You've obviously never had a claim through insurance at all. You complain because you're paying and you're not seeing anything back. If you put in a claim, that DOES NOT necessarily mean your rates will increase.... but hey you're the professional right?

For the sake of argument, whats your driver profile? (age, tickets, accidents, etc?)

403Gemini
06-20-2008, 03:45 PM

Oh ya......keep payin' those premiums eh.....we appreciate it. ;)

lol cause we see such a large cut of it being in the industry hey man? If we're making so much money, why don't i own my porsche ? lol

lint
06-20-2008, 03:52 PM

I think you need to look into the definition of insurance

ralliart_girl
06-20-2008, 04:00 PM
You're clearly an expert in risk analysis arent you... :rolleyes:

:rofl:

lol cause we see such a large cut of it being in the industry hey man? If we're making so much money, why don't i own my porsche ? lol
Didn't you get your in the mail? LOL

And one more thing...

I'm not here to advocate that everything is super duper with insurance...it's not. But if you don't drive like an idiot, then your insurance will go down. I had to pay high insurance rates as well. I also got an accident that was my fault. My rates doubled that year! But the additional money that I had paid over a couple of years due to the increase, didn't even come close to the amount that my insurance company paid out on my behave.

I'm sorry that you alot of you are young, and have pay out of your ass for your insurance. But I earned my good status with my insurance company, so they rewarded me with low rates.

06-20-2008, 04:23 PM

:rofl: wayne you gotta stop giving these kids such a hard time or they might go drift into a pedestrian.... maybe that would get you a porsche.

Masked Bandit
06-20-2008, 04:27 PM

Well I know....but being that I'm the one that actually takes the money from the client.....people often assuming that I get to stuff it in my pocket and go to the mall. Wouldn't that be nice!

It's not a perfect set up but it's a helluva lot more fair than the government set up. Why should a 50 year old who hasn't had a ticket or accident in twenty years pay the same for insurance as someone who has been driving a massive three years?

Masked Bandit
06-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by 410440

:rofl: wayne you gotta stop giving these kids such a hard time or they might go drift into a pedestrian.... maybe that would get you a porsche.

I want to write the policy AFTER they do that.

mmmmmm....high premiums (rubs hands together)....:D

nusneak
06-21-2008, 11:11 PM
So what happens if you were in an accident and only got the $4,000 pay out. Your physio therapist was completely retarded and did nothing to get you better. After I was done physio I found out later that 2-3 months into my recovery she was doing things to me that were supposed to be done during the first week - 2,3 weeks, not 2-3 months later.
Years later I get stabbing pains in my back that feel like someone just stuck a knive in my spine...

:whipped:
man do I hate getting fucked!

403Gemini
06-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by nusneak
So what happens if you were in an accident and only got the $4,000 pay out. Your physio therapist was completely retarded and did nothing to get you better. After I was done physio I found out later that 2-3 months into my recovery she was doing things to me that were supposed to be done during the first week - 2,3 weeks, not 2-3 months later.
Years later I get stabbing pains in my back that feel like someone just stuck a knive in my spine...

:whipped:
man do I hate getting fucked!

Sucks you had a bad physiotherapist... but that'd be like taking your car to a body shop, them doing a shitty job... are you going to blame the insurance company because a body shop of your choice did a bad job on your car? ... or would you be logical/smart and go back to the body shop and throw a stink?

Id go back to the physio office and demand reasoning why they didnt follow their procedure and get them to comp the extra charges and fix you properly.

nusneak
06-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Because I know nothing will come of it except wasting my time. Finding out months to a year after the accident that she knew absolutely nothing never helped either.

The next person that drives into me is not going to have it so lucky.

dansmith11
06-24-2008, 12:46 PM

Nobody gives a shit about your circle jerk with friends crying about how you're getting "SCREWED BY THE MAN! ... pass the bong dude"

You're clearly an expert in risk analysis arent you... :rolleyes: Odds and statistics do not lie. These stats have been taken for decades. If all of a sudden 16-25 year olds stop getting into accidents, you can certainly bet your whiney bitch ass that the rates would drop.

Do i believe its fair? I didnt when i was 23 and younger, I didn't understand. I look back now and compare my driving habits than and now, and i sure as fuck agree with them. I think anybody 25+ will agree with them. If they don't, well chances are they are still a shitty driver.

again... just stop fucking talking. You've obviously never had a claim through insurance at all. You complain because you're paying and you're not seeing anything back. If you put in a claim, that DOES NOT necessarily mean your rates will increase.... but hey you're the professional right?

For the sake of argument, whats your driver profile? (age, tickets, accidents, etc?)

im 23, no tickets, had 2 accidents. neither of which were my fault.

once i was rear ended, and once some chick driving the wrong way down a 1 way came around a corner and hit me (i was stopped at the corner, not moving). both which are CLEARLY the other persons fault.

in the rear ender i had 4 body shops look at the car, all estimated damages at over 7000, the insurnace company sends some dumb fck to look at my car, he appraises damages at 4k, insurance adjuster wouldnt give me more then 4000 despite having 4 other appraisals all showing damages at almost twice their estimate.

and then when someone coming the wrong way down a 1 way and whips around a corner and runs into me, somehow the other insurnace company denies its their clients fault, and i spend 3 months argueing and running around taking pictures to send to people and playing phone tag with adjusters to try and prove something that was clearly not my fualt, wasnt my fault.

so yes, ive had insurance dealings, and i think i have good reason to hate insurance companies based on how its all gone down.

you all just assume that im 16 and paying really high rates from having a bunch of accidents and tickets. ive never had a ticket or an at fault claim. but everytime ive needed insurnace, its been a nightmare to get anything done, and in the end ive gotten screwed out of money.

either way you guys can all fuck off. i dont know what all your problems are. i never attacked any of you personally so im not sure why all your replies are just insulting me. you guys really take offense to people not liking the industry you work in hey? you gotta relax. not even the cops on beyond get this defensive when people bitch about cops haha. you guys take your jobs way to seriously i guess. eat a dick.

403Gemini
06-24-2008, 04:20 PM

in the rear ender i had 4 body shops look at the car, all estimated damages at over 7000, the insurnace company sends some dumb fck to look at my car, he appraises damages at 4k, insurance adjuster wouldnt give me more then 4000 despite having 4 other appraisals all showing damages at almost twice their estimate.

Cause body shops arent in the business to make money, right? ;)

and then when someone coming the wrong way down a 1 way and whips around a corner and runs into me, somehow the other insurnace company denies its their clients fault, and i spend 3 months argueing and running around taking pictures to send to people and playing phone tag with adjusters to try and prove something that was clearly not my fualt, wasnt my fault.

Blame the adjuster, not insurance. thats poor representation. Hell I live in Calgary and made employees for the City of Edmonton go out to the scene for me and take pictures of an intersection because I couldn't.

so yes, ive had insurance dealings, and i think i have good reason to hate insurance companies based on how its all gone down.

you all just assume that im 16 and paying really high rates from having a bunch of accidents and tickets. ive never had a ticket or an at fault claim. but everytime ive needed insurnace, its been a nightmare to get anything done, and in the end ive gotten screwed out of money.

So you're no better that you're stereotyping all insurance experiences with your... two? Buddy I take in 15 claims a day, my office has over 90 employees who all take between 5-15, then theres edmonton, victoria, vancouver, winnipeg, toronto... well you see where I'm going with that... so you basing your omniouscient knowledge on insurance because of TWO claims... well thats just hilarious.

either way you guys can all fuck off. i dont know what all your problems are. i never attacked any of you personally so im not sure why all your replies are just insulting me. you guys really take offense to people not liking the industry you work in hey? you gotta relax. not even the cops on beyond get this defensive when people bitch about cops haha. you guys take your jobs way to seriously i guess. eat a dick.

Nice tantrum, we're the ones freaking out hey? ;)

I'm actually proud to take my job seriously. You sound like one of those dead beat kids who work at mcdicks and dont give 2 fucks about their job and because of that lack of ambition and pride expect to be stuck in a rut.

Daan
06-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Most of us do not know much about government insurance.
Please let us know why government insurance would not be better for us in the long term

I work in private insurance [..] there is no way government insurance is better for the consumer in the long run.

Daan
06-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Well, since there is an abundance of insurance workers on here, maybe you can help if you have a second to read the below :

.I was hit from behind 14 months ago.
.The other driver had no insurance, hence took pictures of his ID and his company's car registration papers.
.Notified ING Insurance Ashley Winters and the Police.
.Submitted claim to ING and provided information about the other driver to the Police.
.Insurance [Ashley Winters] could not collect money from the other party at fault.
.I had to pay the deductible to ING Insurance cause of the above fact and still have not received the deductible back.

Is this the case of a bad insurance worker .. or is this the norm ?

403Gemini
06-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Daan
Well, since there is an abundance of insurance workers on here, maybe you can help if you have a second to read the below :

.I was hit from behind 14 months ago.
.The other driver had no insurance, hence took pictures of his ID and his company's car registration papers.
.Notified ING Insurance Ashley Winters and the Police.
.Submitted claim to ING and provided information about the other driver to the Police.
.Insurance [Ashley Winters] could not collect money from the other party at fault.
.I had to pay the deductible to ING Insurance cause of the above fact and still have not received the deductible back.

Is this the case of a bad insurance worker .. or is this the norm ?

Unfortunately that is the norm. Since the other party isn't insured the rules laid out from the IBC (Insurance Bureau of Canada) cant be followed so ING can't proceed under tort.

However upon conclusion of your claim, it will be submitted to the Arbitration department so ING can seek subrogation through the insured (Essentially your insurance company is going to sue him). Upon collecting the subrogation your deductible MAY be reimbursed.

It's been awhile since i've done auto, but i know that when the other person isnt insured, or if they're insured with a company like Kingsway... its just a bunch of cluster fuck and headaches for everybody.

Daan
06-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Appreciate your assistance

403Gemini
06-24-2008, 05:22 PM
No problem, sorry it wasn't the answer you were looking for.

IScarecroW300
06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Are there any insurance companies out there in alberta that give rebates back at the end of your term for not making any claims or if your record is still clean. Just wondering? Doesn't Statefarm do something like this?

403Gemini
06-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by IScarecroW300
Are there any insurance companies out there in alberta that give rebates back at the end of your term for not making any claims or if your record is still clean. Just wondering? Doesn't Statefarm do something like this?

Not sure, thats usually something through the brokers office...

Even if state farm does... give their claims department a call and tell me how long it takes before you get ahold of an adjuster ;)

My record before hanging up is over an hour and 20 minutes.

IScarecroW300
06-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks. Thought I seen some commercials on this a while ago. Almost time for me to renew my insurance. Cant wait to see what Im going to pay this year. Only 2 years till the big drop. Woot

dansmith11
06-25-2008, 09:57 AM

Cause body shops arent in the business to make money, right? ;)

Blame the adjuster, not insurance. thats poor representation. Hell I live in Calgary and made employees for the City of Edmonton go out to the scene for me and take pictures of an intersection because I couldn't.

So you're no better that you're stereotyping all insurance experiences with your... two? Buddy I take in 15 claims a day, my office has over 90 employees who all take between 5-15, then theres edmonton, victoria, vancouver, winnipeg, toronto... well you see where I'm going with that... so you basing your omniouscient knowledge on insurance because of TWO claims... well thats just hilarious.

Nice tantrum, we're the ones freaking out hey? ;)

I'm actually proud to take my job seriously. You sound like one of those dead beat kids who work at mcdicks and dont give 2 fucks about their job and because of that lack of ambition and pride expect to be stuck in a rut.

haha telling you to fuck off isnt a trantrum. its just telling you to fuck off.

ya its two claims, but its also 100% of the time ive had to use the service ive been paying for for years and getting screwed by it. i think that entitles me to be pissed off.

at the end of the day you guys are right, this is how the system has to operate for it to be able to exist, someone has to carry to load of all the people suing everyone over BS trying to milk money out of it. but it still sucks, and there are people being screwed over by it, and im still allowed to be pissed off about it. you cant honestly think that no ones being unfairly charged or screwed out of money on claims.

i also realize the many flaws in my arguements and how easily they could be picked apart, but the best you can come up with is fuck you your dumb haha.

oh well. ill continue to hate insurance, just like ill continue to pay you assholes :)

ok, now that im done ranting like a retarded kid, i have a legitmate question for you insurnace gurus

since the whole industry is based on risk and stats and all that jazz, has/do insurnace companies ever look at the stats of which demographic sues people more often and look into increasing their rates? i could be out to lunch on this, but id be willing to bet that way more middle aged people end up suing over accidents then 16 year olds. and those big lawsuits have got to cost the companies more money then paying to fix honda civics. i would also think that older people are more likely to suffer more severe injuries and require longer term medical attention. (ie. most 16 year olds if they get minor whiplash will be ok again in a week or two, wheres an out of shape middle age lady who hasnt done anything active in 15 years is more likely to end up with long term injuries/impact from the same severity of collision)

i mean the whole basis of charging young people more is because they/we are more likely to cause accidents and therefore cost the insurance companies money right? so why not look at other groups who are costing them large sums money.

403Gemini
06-25-2008, 10:44 AM
To be honest, very few people sue at all... and you're forgetting those 16 year old kids, have middle aged parents that are sue happy. I actually hate dealing with claims with kids because you spend half the time explaining to the parent why you need to talk to their kid instead of them. I had a claim for a 22 yr old guy and his mom kept calling in and making excuses for him like "Hes just a young man, he didnt know any better" meanwhile im thinking "fuck if i got into an accident at 16... my dad would have tossed me the phone and said 'deal with it' "

But no, there isn't any lawsuits that really go on all over the place.

dansmith11
06-25-2008, 12:15 PM
To be honest, very few people sue at all... and you're forgetting those 16 year old kids, have middle aged parents that are sue happy. I actually hate dealing with claims with kids because you spend half the time explaining to the parent why you need to talk to their kid instead of them. I had a claim for a 22 yr old guy and his mom kept calling in and making excuses for him like "Hes just a young man, he didnt know any better" meanwhile im thinking "fuck if i got into an accident at 16... my dad would have tossed me the phone and said 'deal with it' "

But no, there isn't any lawsuits that really go on all over the place.

how about what demographic costs the most in soft tissue damage claims? does that get looked at? i mean the whole point of the original post here was they wanna raise rates because the soft tissue cap was removed, so was it looked into which demographic claims the most in that? instead of just raising rates for everyone? i would still think older people would typically drain a lot more money in soft tissue damage claims as they are on average probably in worse shape and will take longer to recover then younger people. or is it pretty equal accross the board for people trying to milk money on soft tissue claims?

ralliart_girl
06-25-2008, 12:36 PM

how about what demographic costs the most in soft tissue damage claims? does that get looked at? i mean the whole point of the original post here was they wanna raise rates because the soft tissue cap was removed, so was it looked into which demographic claims the most in that? instead of just raising rates for everyone? i would still think older people would typically drain a lot more money in soft tissue damage claims as they are on average probably in worse shape and will take longer to recover then younger people. or is it pretty equal accross the board for people trying to milk money on soft tissue claims?

I honestly cannot give you actual stats. But I think you are right in saying it is pretty equal in the milking the money. Don't forget, this portion is only the "pain and suffering" part. This is what the cap of $ 4,000 is for.

When you are injuried, your own insurance company pays for treatment (no-fault benefit). So, if you have a legit injury, they will pay up to 2 years, or $ 50,000. Obviously, not many people make it to these limits, but I have had files that did, but these are ususally very serious injuries....none of this "my neck is still sore".

treg50
06-25-2008, 12:53 PM
So I guess their call for insurance hikes went through?

I'll be paying $16 more per month this year compared to last year.

Masked Bandit
06-26-2008, 08:45 AM

It's been awhile since i've done auto, but i know that when the other person isnt insured, or if they're insured with a company like Kingsway... its just a bunch of cluster fuck and headaches for everybody.

I know nobody else will get the Kingsway reference...but I did!

:D

403Gemini
06-26-2008, 09:50 AM

I know nobody else will get the Kingsway reference...but I did!

:D

Freakin kingsway :banghead: ... lol ;)

ralliart_girl
06-26-2008, 10:01 AM

Freakin kingsway :banghead: ... lol ;)

dude, i know your pain......could possibly be worse than ICBC at times...LOL