PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Opinion - Dell Vostro 1510

Neil4Speed
06-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Hey Guys,

I wasn't really looking for a new notebook, but mine is getting a little older now (3 years), and was somewhat looking at upgrading.

What do you guys think of the Dell Vostro (Buisness Line) 1510?

These are the Specifications:

Processor:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5670 (1.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB) M51567C [223-8902] 1

Operating System:
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic,SP1, with media,32 Edition VHB31E [313-6183][420-6581][420-7293][420-7658][420-8708] 11

LCD Panel:
15.4 inch Widescreen WXGA LCD Display XGA [320-6437] 2

Camera and Digital Microphone:
No Webcam, No Digital Camera Microphone Option NCAMERA [313-6184] 21

Memory:
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM 1GB2D [311-8548] 3

Hard Drives:
160G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive 160G54K [341-6597] 8

Optical Drives:
8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability, with Roxio Creator 8XDVD [313-6191][313-6192] 16

Video Cards:
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 INTVIDP [467-4669] 6

Wireless Cards:
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card DW1395 [430-2906] 19

Sound Card:
High Definition Audio 2.0 IS [313-4783] 17

Customized Pictaflex LCD Back:
No Custom Image and Text on Notebook NPCTAFX [313-6187] 24

External Modem:
No Modem is required NOMODEM [313-6194] 14

Adobe Software:
Adobe® Reader 8.1 ADOBE [410-1100] 15

Labels:
Windows Vista™ Basic VBN [310-8627] 7

Productivity Software:
No Productivity Software NOSW [412-0379] 22

Antivirus/Security Suite (Pre-install):
No Anti-Virus/ Security Software NOPRTCT [410-1054] 25

Services:
1 Year Basic Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-in Service S1OSMI [901-0287][901-0360][983-3920][988-6059] 29

Bluetooth Wireless:
Dell Wireless 360 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate) IN360X [430-2890] 121

Primary Battery:
58 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery 58W6C [312-0685] 27

Dell Automated Support Tool:
Dell DataSafe 2.0 Online, 50GB for 1 Year DS50G1Y [420-7630][420-7707] 41

Touchpad Options:
Standard Touchpad TCHPAD [311-8593] 9

I am getting it for $534 + Tax.

What do you guys think?

Let me know

Thanks!

HyperZell
06-20-2008, 10:20 AM
You have to identify your needs before we can offer a solid opinion on whether it will work for you or not. For example, I think it's a POS, but maybe you don't need anything better than that?

If you're wondering why I don't like it, it's because you need to have 2GB of RAM to run Vista Premium, and I have NEVER seen anyone pick up Basic. It feels like cut corners (especially being a Dell) and I doubt it will last as long as your old one - but then again, I'm basing that off of the average user's needs - what are yours?

Neil4Speed
06-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Your exactly right.

My needs are as follows.

Surfing, DVD Burning, CD Burning, Torrenting (Legal content only), Streaming music to my playstation. The occasional old school game (AOEII). Mainly school stuff, presentations, word documents, spreadsheets. Sometimes some easy photoshopping.

The ram thing was a concern for me too, I was planning on uninstalling it an putting on XP Pro. I was also planning on buying some more ram - pretty cheap now.

Thanks!

Weapon_R
06-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Good laptop - I have the 1400 with similar trim. Spend a bit for the upgraded battery, as I think its necessary.

Try and upgrade that video card. If I could go back, I'd get the Nvidia they offer because there are too many limitations with the Intel one and Ive had problems loading programs due to the card.

colinxx235
06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
IMO - I would never purchase another dell. We have 2 desktops at home (well only one is functional) had massive amounts of problems. My best friend bought one (notebook) in september of this year and this screen died (had to send off for 3 weeks to get it back) then his battery started decreasing drastically (sent off for 2 weeks for a new one) and overall seem to cause alot of problems, not to mention all the embedded hardware spyware is a little ridiculous.

But then again i'm an Asus fan ftw :P memoryexpress go go

HyperZell
06-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
IMO - I would never purchase another dell. We have 2 desktops at home (well only one is functional) had massive amounts of problems. My best friend bought one (notebook) in september of this year and this screen died (had to send off for 3 weeks to get it back) then his battery started decreasing drastically (sent off for 2 weeks for a new one) and overall seem to cause alot of problems, not to mention all the embedded hardware spyware is a little ridiculous.

But then again i'm an Asus fan ftw :P memoryexpress go go

I agree in terms of not buying a Dell. They make it easy for people who don't know much about computers to get one, but any one who knows a thing or two can find comparable if not better deals elsewhere.

The cheapest Asus at MemX is this one:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX20879(ME).aspx

Comes with XP as well, but it's a big step up in terms of price. Then again, sometimes you get what you pay for. neil, for what you said you wanted to do, I would definitely recommend something with more RAM and a differnet OS. Weapon_R is on to something with the video card as well - integrated graphics on laptops are shit.

Neil4Speed
06-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice, I will hold off a little while!

Kavy
06-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I have posted this before but I will again,

My company used to IBM (lenevo) then switched to Mac's in 2006. After then breaking left and right we switched to dells Magnesium Vostro line (the 1700 series tho, bigger screen and 2 hard drives)

We have not had a SINGLE issue with these laptops and have quite a few douche's in the company who break things like its going out of style. Not only do I have a work vostro but it actually made me buy one for the woman, the study and my dad. Dell has really turned a corner with this line of laptops and you will see the second you get it.

Don't get fooled into someone saying "BUY A MAC, THEY PWN". Mac's hardware is a bit behind now as much as their OS and customer service rock they are over priced and underpowered unless you buy a MACBOOK and im assume by the fact you selected a $500 laptop your not looking to spend $2500 on a macbook.

Remember with dell you cannot finance a VOSTRO so you have to pay outright unless you order more then 5. The inspiron for this year are identical hardware wise only silver so that could be an option as well.

I would personally try to add the Nvidia 8400gs or you will kick yourself when you try playing a game on it. Forget the Ram you can get 4GB for 80 bucks at mem express, dell overcharges for ram.

colinxx235
06-20-2008, 11:16 AM
^^
yup my buddy bought the dell because he figured it would save money, but in total was without laptop for ~5weeks over 7 months while in school. which effected him as documents/daily use was put on it.

But in the end its all what you pay for, dell = spyware and only upgradeable through them + a pain to fix/warranty.

memoryexpress does onsite repairs guaranteed <72 hours or a new laptop (although I did buy the extended warranty 3 years).

I have an Asus G1S-B2 and it is amazing, but then again I game/stream/watch alot of videos so its useful. More then a typical user would need in terms of ram/speed but vista idles 6-8% cpu on low, 10-14% while just running and between 980-1200 ram so you need a powerful machine to run a simple game. When i'm listening to itunes + playing TFT i'm glad I have all that extra ram so that lag is non existent =).

As well Acer is a dependable brand for laptops and many fellow engineers as U of C have had great luck with Toshiba too. Depends on how much expendable income you have :dunno:

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Kavy
I have posted this before but I will again,

My company used to IBM (lenevo) then switched to Mac's in 2006. After then breaking left and right we switched to dells Magnesium Vostro line (the 1700 series tho, bigger screen and 2 hard drives)

We have not had a SINGLE issue with these laptops and have quite a few douche's in the company who break things like its going out of style. Not only do I have a work vostro but it actually made me buy one for the woman, the study and my dad. Dell has really turned a corner with this line of laptops and you will see the second you get it.

Don't get fooled into someone saying &quot;BUY A MAC, THEY PWN&quot;. Mac's hardware is a bit behind now as much as their OS and customer service rock they are over priced and underpowered unless you buy a MACBOOK and im assume by the fact you selected a $500 laptop your not looking to spend $2500 on a macbook.

Remember with dell you cannot finance a VOSTRO so you have to pay outright unless you order more then 5. The inspiron for this year are identical hardware wise only silver so that could be an option as well.

I would personally try to add the Nvidia 8400gs or you will kick yourself when you try playing a game on it. Forget the Ram you can get 4GB for 80 bucks at mem express, dell overcharges for ram.

The Inspirons don't have the magnesium in the case, making it more prone to cracking. As well, if you go to the kiosks, you CAN finance a Vostro.

^^
yup my buddy bought the dell because he figured it would save money, but in total was without laptop for ~5weeks over 7 months while in school. which effected him as documents/daily use was put on it.

But in the end its all what you pay for, dell = spyware and only upgradeable through them + a pain to fix/warranty.

memoryexpress does onsite repairs guaranteed &lt;72 hours or a new laptop (although I did buy the extended warranty 3 years).

I have an Asus G1S-B2 and it is amazing, but then again I game/stream/watch alot of videos so its useful. More then a typical user would need in terms of ram/speed but vista idles 6-8% cpu on low, 10-14% while just running and between 980-1200 ram so you need a powerful machine to run a simple game. When i'm listening to itunes + playing TFT i'm glad I have all that extra ram so that lag is non existent =).

As well Acer is a dependable brand for laptops and many fellow engineers as U of C have had great luck with Toshiba too. Depends on how much expendable income you have :dunno:

As for upgrading dell, warranty will cover it all, except what you upgrade. You add ram, they'll still cover everything else. Dell's tech support is deff a bitch to deal with, but I would recommend NBD if you need it fixed right away.

The Asus-G1B is a very nice laptop, but expensive compared to the Vostros. Also for Vista, you need a minimum of 2GB, even tho the "required" is only 1GB.

As for myself, I'm picking up a mini-notebook. I'm just up in the air on whether I want an EEE PC 901, or an MSI Wind.

FYI, my dad picked up the Vostro 1500 for ~620 2 months ago. 2GB ram, Core 2 Duo (1.4Ghz) XP Pro, 160GB HDD. He loves it to pieces.

Kavy
06-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

The Inspirons don't have the magnesium in the case, making it more prone to cracking. As well, if you go to the kiosks, you CAN finance a Vostro.

FYI, my dad picked up the Vostro 1500 for ~620 2 months ago. 2GB ram, Core 2 Duo (1.4Ghz) XP Pro, 160GB HDD. He loves it to pieces.

I did not even know they had dell kiosks now, jesus there getting out there :)

My inspiron has a magnesium case and as such I thought all the rest of them did, my bad.

You do know that all it takes to remove the installed software is a fresh install right? Dell bundles vista without software now, all the dell crap comes on separate discs. I agree with dell being bastards on the phone but they do fix laptops crazy fast and send them out.

I do however have to disagree with only being upgradable by them, I have changed ram (of course) added another HDD, changed my bluetooth & wireless as wellas my PCU to a 2.8 from the original 2.2. All of this was easy to do (im not computer inclined either), Dells new manufacturing system makes all the laptops more modular to save money, which means parts slide in like butter.

I do agree with getting what you pay for and bottom line is you do get more computer for the dollar when you buy a dell if your spending under 1k in most cases but not all.

HyperZell
06-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

I did not even know they had dell kiosks now, jesus there getting out there :)

My inspiron has a magnesium case and as such I thought all the rest of them did, my bad.

You do know that all it takes to remove the installed software is a fresh install right? Dell bundles vista without software now, all the dell crap comes on separate discs. I agree with dell being bastards on the phone but they do fix laptops crazy fast and send them out.

I do however have to disagree with only being upgradable by them, I have changed ram (of course) added another HDD, changed my bluetooth &amp; wireless as wellas my PCU to a 2.8 from the original 2.2. All of this was easy to do (im not computer inclined either), Dells new manufacturing system makes all the laptops more modular to save money, which means parts slide in like butter.

I do agree with getting what you pay for and bottom line is you do get more computer for the dollar when you buy a dell if your spending under 1k in most cases but not all.

It seems to be hit or miss with upgrading Dells. From the experiences I had at Mem X, it seems that most Dells only take Crucial ram as an upgrade. Also, their desktops can be super bitchy about power supplies, as they used non-standard ones. Stuff like that makes it a pain to deal with Dell. And even if they are fast, I doubt that Dell can fix or replace your laptop within 3 days like Memory Express does (unless you spend $$$$$ on NBD).