PDA

View Full Version : Help With Networking in Vista

accordboi_02
06-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Just got a new computer to serve as my media centre and gaming system, so running Vista for DX 10.

I am trying to set up my home network on it now to share files with my laptop and my other computer. (Laptop running Vista as well)

Have them all on the same workgroup, sharing is turned on, all computers can see each other on the network, etc. However, when I try to access my shared folders on my new computer it tells me access denied - says I don't have permission, but I cannot find any settings to give my laptop permission... anyone with any experience that can help me out?

thanks!

syscal
06-21-2008, 09:10 AM
could try a couple things.

1) make sure the firewall is off on the local PC
2) go into control panel, turn on classic view, check folder options and under the "view" tab deselect "use sharing wizard"

That's at least good for a first try. XP came out with this first, they called it "easy file sharing" or something like that. it would take the security option off the folder properties so you couldn't modify the security of any folders...annoying.

see if that works, let us know and if not I'm sure we can come up with more things to try.

dr_jared88
06-21-2008, 09:26 AM
best option is to uninstall vista and install xp lol. vista is "to secure" for its own good. networking and getting folders to share properly is a bitch. the best option I found was to make a hidden password protected account and use that to username and password to access the shared folders.

syscal
06-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Well, I don't want to assume that you've missed this step but just to make sure I'll post it.

Make sure you have all the usernames and passwords exactly the same on all the machines. If there is a difference at all between them you will get access denied as the user technically doesn't exist on that one machine.

I'm not sure what the default on a local machine is but "everyone" typically means "any authenticated user" and does not include guests unless you go into machine policy and tell it to allow guests.

Kavy
06-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
best option is to uninstall vista and install xp lol. vista is "to secure" for its own good. networking and getting folders to share properly is a bitch. the best option I found was to make a hidden password protected account and use that to username and password to access the shared folders.

Thats not your best option at all.

The post above mine is correct, most people miss the step of adding EVERYONE to the user list on the shared files. Pretty much 9 out of 10 people miss this step :)

syscal
06-21-2008, 11:04 PM
if you want to do that without worrying about users matching on the PC's you can do the following...though, make sure your wireless is secure, etc.

open control panel > administrative tools > Local Seecurity Policy

Go to Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options

Enable Network Access: Let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users

that will take care of authentucation issues if you allow everyone access to a share