PDA

View Full Version : Soarer question...TT or V8?

Bling
06-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm really interested in getting into one of these cars. For what you pay for, you get one hell of a sweet car.

I went out in a V8 model 92 Soarer with full leather and found it rediculously fast...felt like we were doing 100Km/h from a dead stop in like 3 seconds.

However, the 2.5 TT model I havent been in yet. I want to know if there are any advantages/disadvantages between the two. I do know that with the V8, it gets slightly better gas mileage, and you dont have to worry about replacing turbos...

And with the V8, you can go into any Toyota/Lexus dealer and have all the parts required to repair your ride, whereas the TT you need to check around for guys selling parts, Ebay, or Import in. Any info would be great.

Reliability, cost, etc between the two engine types would be nice so if you have any info for me please post. Thanks

Future Soarer Driver

SR20B13
06-22-2008, 04:28 PM
personally i love the V8 and RCTS is in production for a TT set up for that motor and if you end up doing that u will be blowing people outta the water

go V8

A790
06-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Think of it like this: if you want a Soarer, get a TT. Otherwise, get a Lexus with a V8 and stick to LHD.

zipdoa
06-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Bling
I'm really interested in getting into one of these cars. For what you pay for, you get one hell of a sweet car.

I went out in a V8 model 92 Soarer with full leather and found it rediculously fast...felt like we were doing 100Km/h from a dead stop in like 3 seconds.

However, the 2.5 TT model I havent been in yet. I want to know if there are any advantages/disadvantages between the two. I do know that with the V8, it gets slightly better gas mileage, and you dont have to worry about replacing turbos...

And with the V8, you can go into any Toyota/Lexus dealer and have all the parts required to repair your ride, whereas the TT you need to check around for guys selling parts, Ebay, or Import in. Any info would be great.

Reliability, cost, etc between the two engine types would be nice so if you have any info for me please post. Thanks

Future Soarer Driver

hahaha... you won't even be able to handle the TT!!

Bling
06-22-2008, 06:53 PM
The TT has 5 HP more or so....and it wont be hardly noticeable until the RPM's are up there...what do you mean wont be able to handle it!

Ya I know going from 140HP to 280+ will be a huge difference though.

A790
06-22-2008, 06:56 PM
The TT has 5 HP more or so....and it wont be hardly noticeable until the RPM's are up there...what do you mean wont be able to handle it!

Ya I know going from 140HP to 280+ will be a huge difference though.
The TT is more tunable, or at least, it's much easier to mod to make more power. It has 5 more HP stock, but add a $200 boost controller and a few psi and now it has 30 HP more...

canadianskyline
06-22-2008, 07:02 PM
They may be rated at the same power, but the 1jz will walk on the 1uz all day.

Bling
06-22-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm also looking at part replacement though. If the turbos crap out there like $500 a piece...and parts have to be imported in unless someone wrapped there soarer around a pole and their parting out!

A790
06-22-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm also looking at part replacement though. If the turbos crap out there like $500 a piece...and parts have to be imported in unless someone wrapped there soarer around a pole and their parting out!
Not true man.

Turbo's are swappable, so that's not really an issue. The 1JZ uses many parts found in North America, and there are plenty of JDM shops around.

But yo, why get a JDM V8? Get a USDM one and continue to go through drive throughs :)

Bling
06-22-2008, 07:44 PM
So what am I looking for when I go for the TT? As far as if the turbo(s) is/are crapping out? I'd hate to buy one that someone has beat to shit and then end up having to fork out cash for a "lemon".

XtraX
06-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Don't buy a V8 from Japan that's just rediculos. If you want the V8 buy a local SC400. I would recommend if you are comfortable with a JDM car get the JZZ30.

And it

TT has 276 hp &
V8 has 256 hp

The TT has way more potential power than the V8

XtraX
06-22-2008, 07:48 PM
So what am I looking for when I go for the TT? As far as if the turbo(s) is/are crapping out? I'd hate to buy one that someone has beat to shit and then end up having to fork out cash for a "lemon".

If the turbos go you can find used replacements from the states, but best be is to not buy a lemon. Find an importer you can trust, or buy one landed. With any used car there is risk involved, so the best you can do is lower your risks.

Bling
06-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Well i'll keep my eyes open for a GOOD TT model then. Doesnt have to be all modded but lightly would be decent. And in decent shape, lower K's, etc.

XtraX
06-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Should be lots to choose from, get out and test drive a couple.

Annoyingrob
06-24-2008, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by A790

The TT is more tunable, or at least, it's much easier to mod to make more power. It has 5 more HP stock, but add a $200 boost controller and a few psi and now it has 30 HP more...
More like: spend $200 on a set of divorced downpipes for the motor, and you'll be making 30+hp on boost creep alone. downpipes, cams, and a tune netted me 314whp on stock boost (crept up to 12psi at some points). At 17psi, I wouldn't be surprised if it was pushing 340whp.

Both motors are VERY strong. There are TT 1UZ kits out there, if you so desire, but all the hard work is already done with the JZ. Plus, it's MAP based from the factory, which IMO, is a much better platform to be starting with for performance forced induction applications.

treg50
06-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Get the V8 and TT it :thumbsup:

XtraX
06-24-2008, 09:21 AM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/ernieedm/nos%20energy%20drinks/remix/IMG_0242.jpg

http://www.njtuners.com/showthread.php?p=276024

tentacles
06-24-2008, 10:03 AM
The V8 was only available with 4AT in Japan, or 5AT for USDM 1998+.

Bling
08-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Sorry I havent checked back on this post. Thanks for all the input. So most JDM shops around will carry parts for the car if problems occur? Are most parts compatible with north american ones? Which are not?