PDA

View Full Version : VW Rabbit

Nix87
08-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Curious to see what other motors u can get into these suckers?! I think that would be the biggest sleeper. And a fun project..nobody does up rabbits..

Nick

Ben
08-27-2003, 09:02 PM
The last year was a 1.8L 8V if you got the GTi.

Common swaps are the 16V's and 2.0L Crossflow. There is a guy in Regina who put a 1.8T in a Rabbit.

I have a 2.0L 16V thrown in my 87 GTI, which was normally a 1.8L 8V. I'm going to be selling that motor soon tho so if you wanna go that route, the motor I have would absolutly fly in a rabbit.

Nix87
08-27-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Ben
The last year was a 1.8L 8V if you got the GTi.

Common swaps are the 16V's and 2.0L Crossflow. There is a guy in Regina who put a 1.8T in a Rabbit.

I have a 2.0L 16V thrown in my 87 GTI, which was normally a 1.8L 8V. I'm going to be selling that motor soon tho so if you wanna go that route, the motor I have would absolutly fly in a rabbit.

Something to look into for sure. Thanks for the help.
Nick

finboy
08-27-2003, 10:20 PM
the rabbit with the 1.8t is in sport compact this week if you want to check it out.

i may look for a rabbit, not sure, playing with ideas right now.

hey ben, why you ditching the 2.0?

VWhooligan
08-27-2003, 11:17 PM
i think ben's going the route of bigger and better

hjr
08-27-2003, 11:29 PM
MY personal favorite engine for a rabbit is the corrado/passat G60. 1.8L 8v Supercharged digifant power machine. Somewhere around 155hp stock. A sweet motor to kick a little 2000lb car around. There is one in edmonton <guru> that is quite possibly the nicest Rabbits around (IMO). I was going to do this to my rabbit, but it didnt stay in my ownership for long, so it never happened.

But a fairly common swap is the 1.8L or 2.0L 16v engines. Cool enough but too overdone for my tastes.

1.8t swap is MAD expensive relative to the above two. Tones of power though. Maybe even too much for the little mobile.

And if you really looking to throw off the handling and go strait drag, the 2.8L VR6 is an option. 12v and 24v versions are available. And a supercharger makes gobs of power on these engines.

The sleeper rabbit idea is basically the same as the sleeper CRX idea. Cram the most power into the lightest car. I think its a great idea. Sometime in the future i AM going to go back to a rabbit with a G60. I love them that much. Soooooo Cool.

Redlyne_mr2
08-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by hjr
MY personal favorite engine for a rabbit is the corrado/passat G60. 1.8L 8v Supercharged digifant power machine. Somewhere around 155hp stock. A sweet motor to kick a little 2000lb car around. There is one in edmonton &lt;guru&gt; that is quite possibly the nicest Rabbits around (IMO). I was going to do this to my rabbit, but it didnt stay in my ownership for long, so it never happened.

But a fairly common swap is the 1.8L or 2.0L 16v engines. Cool enough but too overdone for my tastes.

1.8t swap is MAD expensive relative to the above two. Tones of power though. Maybe even too much for the little mobile.

And if you really looking to throw off the handling and go strait drag, the 2.8L VR6 is an option. 12v and 24v versions are available. And a supercharger makes gobs of power on these engines.

The sleeper rabbit idea is basically the same as the sleeper CRX idea. Cram the most power into the lightest car. I think its a great idea. Sometime in the future i AM going to go back to a rabbit with a G60. I love them that much. Soooooo Cool.
hjr is there any vehicle you dont know anything about?...wow man

hjr
08-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

hjr is there any vehicle you dont know anything about?...wow man :rofl: hahaha. ya, The more I learn, the more I realize I really dont know shit! but thanks for the comment :thumbsup:

PS- i dont know much about j-bodies. oh well.

finboy
08-27-2003, 11:46 PM
i'm not a fan of the vr6 swap myself.

like ou stated, throws off the balance of the car, and although it would aid in traction, it would get rid of most of the fun factor, and that is why people buy vw's in the first place.

i don't think i'd use any vw power plant though, i may have found another option.

James
08-27-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by hjr
PS- i dont know much about j-bodies. oh well.

haha whats the point, stick to VW's and you'll do just fine! :D

hmmm....what engine would be best to do in the Jetta( when i blow up my 8v of course! :tongue: )..16v would be cheapest....so many options though.

hjr
08-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by James

hmmm....what engine would be best to do in the Jetta( when i blow up my 8v of course! :tongue: )..16v would be cheapest....so many options though. We have been hi-jacked!!!!

Naw, j/k. 2.0L 16v is generally best for an mk2. But a VR6 isnt quite as drastic as in a rabbit...... nudge nudge.

Loose
08-28-2003, 12:13 AM
My bud used to have a Passat 16 V in his, I think that's the 2 L. The thing ran 14.8@94 mph with a cam and chip. Very good for a cheap and simple set up.

Like stated above, the 1.8T is nice, but it is super expensive. Expensive like your motor is worth 5 times more than your car.

If you want to go super crazy, look at my bud James' car. Only rode in it once, thought I was going to die.

www.vr6rabbit.com

James
08-28-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Loose

If you want to go super crazy, look at my bud James' car. Only rode in it once, thought I was going to die.

www.vr6rabbit.com

That thing is FUCKIN amazing!!

:eek: ...seen that site before, just sick!

finboy
08-28-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by James

hmmm....what engine would be best to do in the Jetta( when i blow up my 8v of course! :tongue: )..16v would be cheapest....so many options though.

good luck blowing up the 8v.

one week i was bored and i didn't fill up the oil on my 8v, there was some nasty lifter tick in the morning, but it still ran like a champ.

2 weeks later i decided to top up the oil (i hate my car btw :D ) si i cracked out the mobil 1 and started filling, 3.5 L later it was full, it takes 5 to fill the motor. :eek:

Ben
08-28-2003, 12:20 AM
Well my car weighs about 2500 with driver, full tank of gas and full interior. Right now i'm at around 155-160 and I run mid 15's now. With this motor in a Rabbit...subtract probably 2-300lbs... and you'll be laughin!

finboy: got some other plans. :) the 2.0L16V is nice, and 7100rpm redline is nice...but like what everyone has stated before, its way too common.

finboy
08-28-2003, 12:24 AM
twin engine would be kind of cool ;)

Ben
08-28-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by finboy
twin engine would be kind of cool ;)

oh it would would it?:nut:

You'll be happy with what I do, I assure you.

Vitesse951
08-28-2003, 12:27 AM
I wonder if you could get a motor from the 944 series into it. I am sure it would be a bitch, but oh dear god the possiblities of a 951 engine in a 2000 lb car. You can get a good condition 951 engine for about 1000-1500, and a non tubo for about 500. At 162hp, even the non turbo would fly in that car.

Ben
08-28-2003, 12:31 AM
fwd?

Vitesse951
08-28-2003, 12:32 AM
I just realized that... dammit, I was already looking at some rabbits on ebay.

Loose
08-28-2003, 12:34 AM
Hey, do any of you guys have a link to that twin vr6 Golf at the drags in Europe. That video was rad.

This from back in 99 or so.

Vitesse951
08-28-2003, 12:34 AM
They drag in Europe?

I found this:

http://www.volkswagen.org/EngineSwap/Default.htm

James
08-28-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by finboy

good luck blowing up the 8v.

one week i was bored and i didn't fill up the oil on my 8v, there was some nasty lifter tick in the morning, but it still ran like a champ.

2 weeks later i decided to top up the oil (i hate my car btw :D ) si i cracked out the mobil 1 and started filling, 3.5 L later it was full, it takes 5 to fill the motor. :eek:

lol..oh i know there bulletproof!..my friend use to have an '87 GTI and went 30,000+ km without an oil change, thing ran like a top!....i dont WANT to blow up this engine, but with my luck im sure something stupid will happen!....it has 257,000km, but runs great, i better not blow it up now, cause id be FUBAR! :rofl:

hjr
08-28-2003, 01:19 AM
It wont blow up. It will however run like crap eventually and smoke like a bastard. For an engine to blow you basically have to be pushing it too hard for an extended lenght of time. The oil pump went in my rally car and it took 2.5 stages of 6000RMP to finish it off. That is basically running the car under load at the redline for an hour. And thats with NO oil pressure. I think thats pretty darn good if you ask me.

Spenser
08-28-2003, 01:52 AM
do this, go get a a ford 9 inch rear out of some boat,
get the biggest, baddest muthat fugging v8 you can find and hop it up mad drag style(like so bad it has to idle at like 2grand)

then RETRO-FIT it into the back of a rabbit. keep your original motor up front, with the v8 in the back, Have 2 gas peddles, 2 clutchs and 2 shifters, because now you got 2 motors.

its the craziest idea but if you live in the us you can pass smog on monday, and run in the 8s on the weekends, something never thought possible with a VW.

2000 pound car and 1000horspower sitting right behind you.

I wana do it in a first gen CRX...........

hjr
08-28-2003, 10:51 AM
well not that thats not a neat idea, but it is FAR more practical in a chevette. Its already RWD.

Eric Happy Meal
08-28-2003, 09:08 PM
i thought about trading my fox for a rabbit... the only engine swaps ive seen on fox's are VR6, along with awd, for rallying.

but if you really want a sleep, get an old acvw. youll destroy anything on the straights, turns, and spend less than half of what they did for the total package. but if your one of those guys who thinks that theyre girly or something check out www.germanlook.com and click under more articles under the featuire articles section. and your still in the vw family.

Nix87
08-28-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Spenser
do this, go get a a ford 9 inch rear out of some boat,
get the biggest, baddest muthat fugging v8 you can find and hop it up mad drag style(like so bad it has to idle at like 2grand)

then RETRO-FIT it into the back of a rabbit. keep your original motor up front, with the v8 in the back, Have 2 gas peddles, 2 clutchs and 2 shifters, because now you got 2 motors.

its the craziest idea but if you live in the us you can pass smog on monday, and run in the 8s on the weekends, something never thought possible with a VW.

2000 pound car and 1000horspower sitting right behind you.

I wana do it in a first gen CRX...........

I wish you luck.
Nick

Kazan
03-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Did some one say Twin Engine ; Checkit out :
http://www.durocco.com/main.html
Kazan

finboy
03-27-2005, 02:30 PM
wow, this thread is ancient :rofl:

nismodrifter
03-27-2005, 02:56 PM
swap a TDI motor into it, that IMO is the sickest swap ever. A rabbit powered by a TDI is just pure hotness, that is like my DREAM VW. Bleh to the ancient thread...good topic hehe :D

BerserkerCatSplat
03-27-2005, 04:30 PM
So, just to satisfy my curiosity... what did Ben do to his Volkswagen?

hjr
03-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Kazan
Did some one say Twin Engine ; Checkit out :
http://www.durocco.com/main.html
Kazan that is a most impressive scirocco my friend. truly.

finboy
03-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl
So, just to satisfy my curiosity... what did Ben do to his Volkswagen?

turned it into an awd sedan with a v6 :bigpimp: :rofl:

Euro_Trash
03-27-2005, 11:07 PM
TDI would be damned cool. But I still think it would be best to go 16V G60 or go crossflow lysholm: both rare and have all the performance you need. (Yes I realized how old this thread is, but its already been resurrected so oh well)

Lo)2enz0
03-28-2005, 01:06 AM
wow, this is a thread from 2 years ago. I remember when nick wanted a rabbit, I think he still does but with my experience with VW I think it has turned him away from the situation.

GTS Jeff
03-28-2005, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by hjr

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ...coming from a guy with TWO 16Vs :D

Nix87
03-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
wow, this is a thread from 2 years ago. I remember when nick wanted a rabbit, I think he still does but with my experience with VW I think it has turned him away from the situation.

haha i cant believe this thread is on the 1st page, and your correct after ur VW nightmares, maybe i'll just buy an s13..then again is that much better?

Nick