PDA

View Full Version : Defective Tire?

spike98
06-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I am not sure where to begin with a recent problem i have. The driver side front tire on my nissan has the steel belt starting to wear through in the center of the tire tread.

I was wondering if it could be a defective tire. I use the same tires all around and just replaced the front two tires at the begining of this season! They have MAYBE 2000km on them. The passenger side is still in fantastic shape with about 80% treat left. Hell on the worn one the yellow lines in the tread groove are still there.

I have Tein coilovers so i do have a bit of negative camber which i am hoping to fix too. I also understand that having negative camber (too much) can cause premature wearing on tires. But i would suspect that it would be on the inner edge of the tread not the center.

The tires are Nitto Neo Gen 205/40ZR17. Do you think it could be a defective tire or would a componant of my steering be worn out and causing this problem?

Supa Dexta
06-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Over inflated and out of alignment.

spike98
06-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Over inflated and out of alignment.

The out of alignment can be a very real possiblity. The roads in medicine hat arent the best and could have very well bumped myself out of alignment on a pothole.

Over inflating however is not. I check the pressure regularly (every fillup) and i never have inflated to over 38psi. I was researching tire pressure on a B13/B14 specific forum and concluded that this was optimal for my setup as i have 40 series tires.

I will get her booked in for alignment asap!

Anyone elses input?

EvolutionI
07-07-2008, 07:13 PM
280 tread wear tires arent going to last long anyways, but thats horrible.

I wouldn't say over inflated, since I run mine at 45 psi. Same tires, and mine have lasted me since March and still look at about 80-90%

One thing is, if you do a lot of heavy acceleration, that puts more stress on the center of the tire. I don't know if you have a LSD or anything, but if you don't that could be a problem.

Other then that, sounds like an alignment problem.