PDA

View Full Version : Formal Attire for a dining experience?

dregs
06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm just curious if anyone knows of a fairly classy restaurant in Calgary that has a dress code, preferably one that encourages wearing a suit/shirt/tie. I'm looking into taking my girlfriend out to something of that effect before she leaves for the summer. On top of that I have this magnificent Boss getup that I bought for grad that I am dieing to get some more use out of before its stashed away in the closet for who knows how long. Unfortunately being in my youth I have little to no knowledge of any restaurants that encourage dressing up. I don't want to feel like oddball strolling around decked out to common casual establishments trying to make something out of whats not there in the first place.

Any suggestions?
Any type of food is great.

2002civic
06-23-2008, 03:53 PM
caesars steakhouse!:drool:

dregs
06-23-2008, 04:05 PM
I have heard caesars come up before and definitely sounds like a great place, do most of the people dress up to go there in the evening?

As for the Mews? someone told me about a place in Kensington that has valet parking thats pretty close to Julio's Barrio is that it? As well is it any particular type of food?

mazdavirgin
06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by dregs
I have heard caesars come up before and definitely sounds like a great place, do most of the people dress up to go there in the evening?

They won't let you in if you are not wearing at the very least a tie last I checked... Any time during the day too not just in the evening.

89coupe
06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
www.caporestaurant.ca

www.ilsogno.org

www.blinkcalgary.com

www.thetribunerestaurant.ca

ZorroAMG
06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
At Ceasars? Not at all...I've gone in jeans.

There are other nice joints but not too many restaurants in calgary enforce a dress code cause there are too many crappy dressed slobs in the O&G industry...and well realtors....let's not even go there haha

Just wear the suit, tell her to dress up and mention what color your suit is so she can dress accordingly, then just get a reso at a great place....

Enjoy.

dregs
06-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks a lot guys!
recommendations based on past experiences would be great as well!

benyl
06-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Caesars? I went in there with a golf shirt and khakis. That was 5 years ago though.

scboss
06-23-2008, 04:20 PM
my bad the place is called muse hahaha
http://www.muserestaurant.ca/

anyways I went there for my last 2 birthdays and my 1 year with the gf and never one complaint.

Just make sure you make reservations

Jlude
06-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Just wear the suit, tell her to dress up and mention what color your suit is so she can dress accordingly, then just get a reso at a great place....

Enjoy.

Agreed...

don't worry about what other people are wearing... nothing wrong with wanting to get dressed up and show your girl a good time.

Super_Geo
06-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Take her to Murietta's and get a table in the courtyard.
The lamb there is phenomenal.

It's upscale, but not to the point where you'd look out of place being as young as you are. Trust me, courtyard @ Murietta's is fuckin pimp!

D. Dub
06-23-2008, 08:04 PM
To nitpick a little

Formal Attire = Tux

Semi-Formal = Suit

nd54
06-23-2008, 08:14 PM
The last restaurant that required a jacket and tie was La Chaumiere, but they've relaxed this rule in the last few years. I still wear one when I'm there, and most people do even if it's not an "official" policy anymore. Besides that Calgary is a pretty casual place, at most of the nicer restaurants you will not look out of place if you wear a suit, but it isn't required.

ekguy
06-23-2008, 09:05 PM
+1 for Murietta's went for new years eve. Very classy place.

FreakinPrince
06-23-2008, 09:07 PM
what aout red water...that's a new resturant i believe? :S

heard it was expensive but i am sure its really classy!! its on 6ave and 2nd street sw...bow valley sqaure

89coupe
06-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince

heard it was expensive but i am sure its really classy!! its on 6ave and 2nd street sw...bow valley sqaure

Its ok there, the food doesn't live it up to the decor. Average cost, nothing outrageous.

89coupe
06-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Another great place downtown for good food is Escoba.

www.escoba.ca

Rstar
06-24-2008, 10:50 AM

There are other nice joints but not too many restaurants in calgary enforce a dress code cause there are too many crappy dressed slobs in the O&G industry...and well realtors....let's not even go there haha

Enjoy.

... I'd consider changing careers just to work in O&G so I dont have to get dressed up every day.

Ironing & Drycleaning is not for me.. haha

TheOneAndOnly
06-24-2008, 10:59 AM
wendy's by sunridge spectrum...

89coupe
06-24-2008, 11:17 AM

Enjoy.

Its easy to tell who works in Oil & Gas and who doesn't, just go downtown on a Friday. Anyone in Oil & Gas will be wearing jeans and everyone else will be wearing suites...LOL

DJ_NAV
06-24-2008, 11:29 AM
ironing should be done regardless of if you are wearing a suit or not.... a dress shirt is compulsary in downtown. I think wearing a dress shirt is being formal enough... the tie and coat are great.. but they dont make too much of a difference.

Quiet10
06-24-2008, 12:09 PM
+1 for escoba. Great selection of wines, actually, more pages on the wine than on food, but very good.

89coupe
06-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Quiet10
+1 for escoba. Great selection of wines, actually, more pages on the wine than on food, but very good.

A restaurant shouldn't have more then one page for food anyways...LOL

LadyTurbo
06-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
www.caporestaurant.ca

www.ilsogno.org

www.blinkcalgary.com

Il Sogno is super good... GREAT gnocchi!

ZorroAMG
06-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Its easy to tell who works in Oil & Gas and who doesn't, just go downtown on a Friday. Anyone in Oil & Gas will be wearing jeans and everyone else will be wearing suites...LOL

Wow...that's a lot to carry around downtown...like a 1 or 2 Berdroom Suite?

:D

Suit.

Destinova403
06-24-2008, 01:42 PM
last time i went out with my girl to a formal place it was caesars... as mentioned... if you go on a friday/saturday night especially if you go a bit later itll be a fairly formal atmosphere and the food is EXELLENT!

npham
06-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince

If it's like the one near the Foothills Hospital, then stay far away from this place. The service was awful, nearly 10 minutes before the hostess came back from where-ever she was to the front desk. Server was slow and most of the time, I just asked the nearest server for a re-fill or a side plate for mussel shells or a slice of pizza(BBQ Chicken pizza was fine, Seafood Pasta was tasty though). Also, the app was good except for the slaw/salad they topped the lobster quesadilla off with. The sauce was excellent though.

Which reminds me for some reason of the tomato paste they served with the Olive loaf to start the meal. I have no idea what they were thinking when they made this stuff, but it's not good. I swear it was like chopped tomatoes and Heinz tomato paste folded into it.

Sorry for the rant, but just coming back from the restaurant reminded me about how someone was suggesting or was curious about this place. For the money, it's not worth it. This place is trying to be up-scale, but they are forgetting the little things that customers forgive for bad service, good food.

dino_martini
06-24-2008, 11:12 PM

Tribune I went in jeans and a collared shirt and they let me in. The duck was so good though.

msommers
06-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by dregs
someone told me about a place in Kensington that has valet parking thats pretty close to Julio's Barrio is that it? As well is it any particular type of food?

The place you are thinking of is an overpriced italian restaurant with food that isn't even that great. Hit up La Dolce Vita in bridgeland if you're into italian.

ondubs
06-30-2008, 03:34 PM
I would suggest to you,

The Bears Den
The Belvedere
Capo
Teatro
Centini

or in Banff, Le Beaujolais or the Eden.

reservation required and a suit would not be out of place, at some of these locations required.

jmc
07-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Most formal-upscale dining establishments do “encourage” people to ‘dress-up’.
However, I don’t know any restaurants in Calgary that actually “enforce” (semi)formal attires anymore. Maybe in policy, but it’s usually relaxed if you presentable and well behave.

Moreover if it’s enforced, I think some/all of them have spare-loaner clothing for you, if you are not up to spec (e.g. a tie to go with your shirt, etc.)
As an aside, if you don’t drink and just go for the normal entree, none of the restaurants in town are that expensive either.

I think Muse and The Belvedere should meet your expectation.