PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector - Opinions?

A790
06-24-2008, 01:50 PM
A while ago I posted about wanting to buy a Sonata, but I went the other way and just put down a deposit on a 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector w/ 108KM and a 6pd manual transmission.

I've done some digging around online and they seem like decent cars, but I was hoping to hear from current owners what they think of them. One thing in particular that I'm curious about is that the dealer mentioned something about only needing oil changes every 20,000 KM. How in the hell can that be right?

Aleks
06-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by A790
A while ago I posted about wanting to buy a Sonata, but I went the other way and just put down a deposit on a 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector w/ 108KM and a 6pd manual transmission.

I've done some digging around online and they seem like decent cars, but I was hoping to hear from current owners what they think of them. One thing in particular that I'm curious about is that the dealer mentioned something about only needing oil changes every 20,000 KM. How in the hell can that be right?

The 330I I had needed oil changes every 25,000kms. They use full synthetic and like 8L of it or something crazy like that. I still changed it after 10K as it didn't sound right to me.

bobby_lu
06-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Vector?

Saab has Viggen...kinda their go-fast version...maybe thats what it is.

treg50
06-24-2008, 02:48 PM
There is a 9-3 Vector, as well as a Viggen.

A790
06-24-2008, 10:56 PM
That's it? No one on here has any experience at all with Saab 9-3's with the 2.0T motor?

Team_Mclaren
06-24-2008, 11:08 PM
decent power, unreliable afaik, great looking car from the outside, 1980s interior.

A790
06-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
unreliable afaik
Where did you get this from?

That is more what I'm concerned about. There aren't many for sale out here, which may be a good sign, but then again I don't think there were too many sold. I'm checking around on the net and am having a hard time finding reliability ratings for them so I'm kind of buying this vehicle blind.

With only 108K I'm going to hope that I'll get a few more years out of it before it becomes a PITA. I see older 9-3's with 225K+ and still running strong...

vietdood
06-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by A790

Where did you get this from?

Air conditioner: The A/C compressor may fail to engage or fail to disengage due to a faulty thermo contact, which is now available separately from the compressor. (2003)

Cold-starting problems: Cars equipped with an engine heater may be hard to start when the heater runs but the temperature is at or above freezing (23 degrees F) requiring reprogramming of the engine control computer. (2003)

Manual transmission: Difficulty shifting manual transmission up or down into 2nd gear requires adjustment to the shifter mechanism. (2003)

Oil leak: Oil leaks from the timing cover, valve cover or main seal due to excessive crankcase pressure require installation of ventilation kit. (2003)

Steering noise: Snapping or popping noise from steering shaft requires removal and reinstallation of steering shaft joints using thread locking compound on bolts. (2003)

Windows: Side windows may be noisy, may go up slowly or not at all, may leak in rain or carwash because window support bar is weak and gets twisted or breaks. (2003)

NHTSA Recall History

2003 9-3 sedans and convertibles: The fuel pump retaining tabs holding the fuel lines were damaged during production. Over time, this could cause the fuel lines to loosen from the pump resulting in fuel leakage. Dealers will install a bracket that will secure the fuel lines to the fuel pump.

2003: Engine in some cars can stall.

2003-04 Sedan: Seat belt retractor may have been damaged during manufacture; over time, automatic tensioning cable could break, preventing belt webbing from retracting.

2003-05: Vacuum pipe check valve for brake booster on some cars may fail from high-temperature exposure, which could result in sudden loss of power brake assist.

Reference http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2003-to-2007-saab-9-3-2.htm

Weapon_R
06-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Read consumer reports and owners surveys. Most people think Saabs are really reliable, which makes up for how unbelievably ugly they are. The fact is, they're fugly and unreliable.

bobby_lu
06-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
great looking car from the outside,

Originally posted by Weapon_R
The fact is, they're fugly and unreliable.

:rofl:

A790
06-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Fuck it, I bought it.

I think it's a great looking car :)