PDA

View Full Version : anyone take Bachelor of Applied Petroleum Engineeering @ SAIT?

Dumbass17
06-24-2008, 09:18 PM
i have my diploma in civil engineering tech
but i'm bored of drafting/design and i can't really work in the field (yet)...busted up foot means i can't stand up very long without pain

SOOO i'm thinking of upgrading at SAIT in the evenings and then when i'm done my foot will be better and i'll have a way sweeter resume

any input?

cosmok
06-25-2008, 09:14 AM
It's more for foreign students who need educational recognition in Canada to get a job. It is not recognized by APEGGA or any University so it's more or less useless lest you have another degree.

Oldskool
06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by cosmok
It's more for foreign students who need educational recognition in Canada to get a job. It is not recognized by APEGGA or any University so it's more or less useless lest you have another degree.

Yup, It would be a huge waste of time,

If your diploma is from SAIT already, see what course's you can get to transfer over to Petroleum Engineering Tech.

If you're looking for a degree, you can do the SAIT thing then transfer, or look for a university that will allow credit for the courses you've already taken.

KLCC
06-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Oldskool

Yup, It would be a huge waste of time,

If your diploma is from SAIT already, see what course's you can get to transfer over to Petroleum Engineering Tech.

If you're looking for a degree, you can do the SAIT thing then transfer, or look for a university that will allow credit for the courses you've already taken.

Yeah, I was in that program LONG LONG time ago. Back then it was 2 years program (on top of your PET diploma, don't know now....). 1 year for the theory component and another year of work experience.

I dropped out and got a real University degree, because it wasn't a real degree by any means. It is just another better name for a PET diploma (which I have already...and most people I talked to in the industry feel the same too).

Dumbass17
06-25-2008, 12:12 PM
wow
that puts a new perspective on things:(

drew_goring
06-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Probably less useful than a PET diploma. For the most part the people in the BAPT program are foreign people who don't have their "degrees" recognized by and Canadian association.

It is definitely not a "real" degree by any means.

Ekliptix
06-25-2008, 01:14 PM
I took it. It's not a real degree, so you if you take it, you'll ideally get a job somewhere that rewards on performance, not walking in with a university degree. Although I'd like to have a real degree, I now deal with and teach engineers at medium and large O&G companies every day, and make probably the same as a reservoir or production engineer who's been at a company for 3-4 years.

I did find the BAPET course more intense then my 1st 2 years at SAIT (Mechatronics, T101).

So basically, taking the BAPET course was one of the best decisions I've made, but my results may not be typical following the course. I've never worked in the field.

Dumbass17
06-28-2008, 12:19 PM
yeah i want to get exposure to the field..but not necessarily work in the field for life, ya know.

just sick of being 23 and beign stuck inside all day with average pay :P

BP88
12-02-2011, 11:31 AM
There is so bullshit circulating here about the BAPT program..saying it's a waste of time, waste of money, only for foreign students blah blah.

1st - Education can never be a waste.

2nd - This program was specifically designed to enhance skills of ENGINEERING Technologists.

3rd - Yes there are quiet a few foriegn trained nations...looking to acquire skills to step into Alberta's workforce.

However, I concepts and skills I had learned in this program especially in my Reservoir, Production, Drilling, and Exploration courses are courses desgined specifically to teach students concepts which are used in the O&G Industry.

I have seen many job posting for Production engineer, Well Analyst, Reservoir Technologist, etc...where the job description is very similar to the skills I had learn from this program.

Another personal experience was when I applied to a MAJOR O&G company interview for production operations. The shift supervisor who was interviewing me said "with your technical skills, you should apply to positions as an production engineer".

Yes it is true it is not accredited since it is not a degree...but that is not the intent of this tech degree...it was first introduced in the 1990's to train other ENGINEERING disciplines (Civil, Mech, Elec, etc.) so they could transition easily to reservoir, production due to the shortages in 1990s.

On the other hand, there are many engineers who work as "Engineers" in ALBERTA. Who do not even have a degree from Canada, they are often trained in other countries such as INDIA, Pakistan, China, etc. (However, most of these indoviduals do posses equivalent engg degree requirements and also have many years of experience). And also there a quiet a few technologists who work in "Engineering Positions" EVERY psoition which says "ENGINEER" does not require you to posses an APPEGA STAMP.

BP88
12-02-2011, 11:37 AM
There is so bullshit circulating here about the BAPT program..saying it's a waste of time, waste of money, only for foreign students blah blah.

1st - Education can never be a waste.

2nd - This program was specifically designed to enhance skills of ENGINEERING Technologists.

3rd - Yes there are quiet a few foriegn trained nations...looking to acquire skills to step into Alberta's workforce.

However, I concepts and skills I had learned in this program especially in my Reservoir, Production, Drilling, and Exploration courses are courses desgined specifically to teach students concepts which are used in the O&G Industry.

I have seen many job posting for Production engineer, Well Analyst, Reservoir Technologist, etc...where the job description is very similar to the skills I had learn from this program.

Another personal experience was when I applied to a MAJOR O&G company interview for production operations. The shift supervisor who was interviewing me said "with your technical skills, you should apply to positions as an production engineer".

Yes it is true it is not accredited since it is not a degree...but that is not the intent of this tech degree...it was first introduced in the 1990's to train other ENGINEERING disciplines (Civil, Mech, Elec, etc.) so they could transition easily to reservoir, production due to the shortages in 1990s.

On the other hand, there are many engineers who work as "Engineers" in ALBERTA. Who do not even have a degree from Canada, they are often trained in other countries such as INDIA, Pakistan, China, etc. (However, most of these indoviduals do posses equivalent engg degree requirements and also have many years of experience). And also there a quiet a few technologists who work in "Engineering Positions" EVERY psoition which says "ENGINEER" does not require you to posses an APPEGA STAMP.

CompletelyNumb
12-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Called "Bachelor of Applied Technology Petroleum Engineering" now, for search purposes...

It's a shame it's not recognized. I've been looking into getting some more credentials and this one was on my list. My only caveat is that I need to take it via distance education, and unfortunately there are very few options for petroleum or technical degrees online. Especially engineering ones.

lison
12-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I believe it's also called PT not PET as PET= Power Engineering Technology.

Dumbass17
01-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
yeah i want to get exposure to the field..but not necessarily work in the field for life, ya know.

just sick of being 23 and beign stuck inside all day with average pay :P

haha wow

this post is 6 years old.

crazy

/coolstorybro:whocares:

beyond_ban
01-06-2014, 02:21 PM
So what did you do?

swak
01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Sorry to hyjack thread. - but how does one find out what courses are apegga certified?

Visited their webpage and didn't see anything... Maybe I missed a link though :S

Too, does anyone know if the CET program at Lethbridge is certified?

adamc
01-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I was looking at this program as well, and had hoped it would provide enough credit to complete a "real" degree at a big university.

The feedback about this program in this thread is slightly disheartening.

Dumbass17
01-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
So what did you do?

worked in the field doing bridge inspection for a year, then traveled. stayed in australia for 3 years and got back 6 months ago

hassanb
01-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Did you work with you diploma in australia/

bjstare
01-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by swak
Sorry to hyjack thread. - but how does one find out what courses are apegga certified?

Visited their webpage and didn't see anything... Maybe I missed a link though :S

Too, does anyone know if the CET program at Lethbridge is certified?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but APEGA applies to Engineering and Geosciences.

ASET is the governing body for CET graduates.

HiTempguy1
01-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but APEGA applies to Engineering and Geosciences.

ASET is the governing body for CET graduates.

*Ding*

dubhead
01-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Being as vague as possible when I was taking CET someone from SAIT involved closely with both programs basically said taking BAPT on top of CET is a total waste of time and that there is zero advantage.

Also BAPT is not accredited by ASET and as has been said it is just used by foreign professionals to get a Canadian degree so companies will even look at them.

Dumbass17
01-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by hassanb
Did you work with you diploma in australia/

yup!
managed to get an awesomely fun job, met great people.
looking to go back sooner or later with a permanent residency visa...but it's not easy. or cheap.

Australia > Canada :banghead: