PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on keeping a black car clean!

hash
08-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Hi,

Like the topic says.... the family just got a new car and its black. It wasn't our first choice.... but regardless... we still got it.

I must admit that it does look sleek when its clean, but I'm afraid that over the years, its going to look uglier with paint swirls etc..

To keep it clean and shiny, what I was thinking of doing was the co-op touchless wash and the occasional rinse-down at the manual car-wash. Would this be good enough? Anything else that will make it easier on the paint? Ahah... I basically want the paint to look almost as good as brand new... I know thats a lot to ask... but I'm sure its possible with regular care.

Also, I've never had to wax a car before... how often should I do it (I've heard that too much will dull the paint)? Also, is it worth it to send it to a professional shop or just do it at home.

Thnx!

Z_Fan
08-28-2003, 12:39 PM
I've got two black cars, and they are nasty to keep clean. The nice thing is in low-light, even if they are a little dirty they look clean. Ha!

Anyhow, never use a brush on it...and if you use the power wash, find one with a spot free rinse. If they don't have spot free, find a new one that does...

And get your self a product called "the Absorber". It's a great way to dry off your car.

As for waxing, when the water stops beading on your car, you probably need to think about getting it waxed.

E36M3
08-28-2003, 01:18 PM
I've had two black vehicles in a row now, and it is a pain in the ass to keep them clean, even in California (no snow makes it much easier to keep vehicles clean).

I got a teflon coating put on my truck by a good car detailing place, as well as a Klass wax. With the combination of keeping a good wax and having the teflon protection, it makes it really easy just to blow off dirt and other crap. I also get a bunch of fruit dropping on it all the time because my yard is a jungle, and it comes right off now. Before the teflon coating, it was a pain in the ass.

You may also want to get a dust brush of some kind, there are lots of good ones, just to dust it off with instead of constantly washing it (assuming it is stored in a garage).

Nix87
08-28-2003, 01:41 PM
All i can say is WAX. My Tahoe is black and its a bitch to keep clean. Wax makes the biggest difference.
Nick

hash
08-28-2003, 02:57 PM
How often should it be done tho?

rage2
08-28-2003, 03:17 PM
hehe black cars... I got a bunch of those! I have a fairly strict car wash routine.

Daily - California Duster
2x a week - Mini California dust wheels too.
Weekly (or whenever it rains) - Car Wash
2x a year - wax/detail
1x a year - power polish

This keeps the paint looking almost like new even if it's black and 15 years old. As for car washes, I go to Big Bucket. Power soap, pre soak, wax, and "quick dry" using towel. Then I pay, and go outside to do a final dry. I drive for about 10 minutes, usually a quick blast on a back road hehe, and do a final dry for all the little places that leaked water out (you have to do this, or you'll have great looking water spots).

As for towels, I use the softest bath towels you can find... I think my wife gets 'em at home outfitters. I convert old ones to car towels regularly. I heard cloth diapers work awesome too, but since I don't have any kids, I don't have access to those.

Moe Man
08-28-2003, 11:11 PM
hahaha just wash and dry in the shade that works the best

i forced my dad to get a tripple grage just so i can wash the cars in there during the day and i also got a presure washer

Nix87
08-28-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by rage2
hehe black cars... I got a bunch of those! I have a fairly strict car wash routine.

2x a year - wax/detail
1x a year - power polish

This keeps the paint looking almost like new even if it's black and 15 years old. As for car washes, I go to Big Bucket. Power soap, pre soak, wax, and "quick dry" using towel. Then I pay, and go outside to do a final dry. I drive for about 10 minutes, usually a quick blast on a back road hehe, and do a final dry for all the little places that leaked water out (you have to do this, or you'll have great looking water spots).

As for towels, I use the softest bath towels you can find... I think my wife gets 'em at home outfitters. I convert old ones to car towels regularly. I heard cloth diapers work awesome too, but since I don't have any kids, I don't have access to those.

For sure a good routine to follow! Where do u get ur power polish done?!

Nick

rage2
08-29-2003, 12:40 AM
There's a place I go to in the Ghetto. They do it super cheap, under $100! Don't remember the name of the place though. Wet sand and power polish... removes like all swirl marks and makes a mirror finish.

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/944t/2000-08%20power%20polished%203.JPG

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/SLK320/2001-08%20Power%20polished%203.JPG

The polish is so nice, dust slides right off the car. Basically don't have to use california duster for a good month :).

AquamosH
08-29-2003, 12:43 AM
There's a place I go to in the Ghetto. They do it super cheap, under $100! Don't remember the name of the place though. Wet sand and power polish... removes like all swirl marks and makes a mirror finish.

:eek: You have to post the name of this place.

redline_13000
08-29-2003, 04:19 AM
Rage2 if you know the address even pm me please. The jimmy is full of swirls i need to get taken out. Looks disgusting.

LowRiderHD2000
08-29-2003, 09:10 AM
Please PM me the name also Rage2.

Thank You
PG

AquamosH
08-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000
Rage2 if you know the address even pm me please. The jimmy is full of swirls i need to get taken out. Looks disgusting.

:werd: If you can't post the name or address, please pm. Need to get rid of these swirls.

TIA :)

Z_Fan
09-01-2003, 12:51 AM

2x a year - wax/detail
1x a year - power polish

Rage,

So, just out of curiousity...you wouldn't happen to get overly stressed when you follow this routine and you GET swirl marks? Just wanna know...:confused:

That's a serious routine man. So, I guess what your saying is me washing the 350z once every 2-3 weeks isn't going to cut it? No wonder my car looks like shit. :dunno:

rage2
09-01-2003, 01:45 AM
Like all my routines, I do miss a day here and there :). I also try to wipe/dry car in a single direction (I think bol gave me this tip) and it's reduced swirl marks significantly. I get really bad swirl marks after every dealership visit, cuz they always wash the car for me. I keep forgetting to tell them not to wash the car hehe.

I dont mind swirl marks too much, cuz they disappear when car gets power polished.

REFLUX
09-01-2003, 11:09 PM
wiping/drying the car in the same direction is a good one

itsnotaDUB
09-02-2003, 06:31 PM
just keep lots of change in your ashtray and clean towels in the trunk....