PDA

View Full Version : Slotted Rotors

Ajay
06-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know where I can find some slotted front and rear brake rotors for a 2002 WRX?

I found a site in the US for some Brembo's. The price was $420 US which was tolerable but the shipping was another $145. Not too keen on that so I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find this locally.

I'm guessing Tunerworks is a good place to start?

redline
06-25-2008, 09:13 PM
yeap but slotted rotors are junk and so are cross drilled

962 kid
06-25-2008, 09:23 PM
:rolleyes:

talonboi
06-25-2008, 09:47 PM
http://powerslot.com/pages/slot_app_subaru.html

usually around $120 each

any tuner shop be able to get them for you.

ekguy
06-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by redline
yeap but slotted rotors are junk and so are cross drilled

care to educate as to why they are junk? I was under the expression they were better than stockers in many regards.

Tuner1
06-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
Does anyone know where I can find some slotted front and rear brake rotors for a 2002 WRX?

I found a site in the US for some Brembo's. The price was $420 US which was tolerable but the shipping was another $145. Not too keen on that so I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find this locally.

I'm guessing Tunerworks is a good place to start?

We have a few brands available for your car. If you really want to improve braking performance focus your budget on good pads :)

Rob

Ajay
06-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by talonboi
http://powerslot.com/pages/slot_app_subaru.html

usually around $120 each

any tuner shop be able to get them for you.

Checked that website and their online affiliates. Shipping to Canada seems to be expensive for some reason now.

The buybrakes.com website is $642.33 for these rotors and $230 of that is shipping. I'm better off going with the Brembo brakes from horsepowerfreaks.com for $546 shipped.

talonboi
06-26-2008, 09:25 AM
let me re-word that, any Local Shop can get them for you for about $120 each or less

last place i checked they were $379.67+gst shipped for all four

phrozen
06-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Its not that slotted or cross drilled rotors are bad
they are just made to keep cooler when braking.

A high grade pad would be your best bet. :thumbsup:

heavyD
06-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by ekguy

care to educate as to why they are junk? I was under the expression they were better than stockers in many regards.

They are better at cooling but they are prone to cracking (cheap ones especially) and wearing out pads faster. If you only run the car on the street or seldom at the track they are a waste of money.

canadianskyline
06-26-2008, 09:59 AM
For those of you who don't know why rotors are slotted, and why you don't really want them on a street application.

The idea is that the slots shave off material on the pads, keeping the pads clean/fresh/whatever you want to call it and thus better braking.

On street cars you don't need the performance and a good set of pads is really all you need.

Sticky pads combined with slotted rotors will kill pads very fast but you'll be stopping fast too.

Crossdrilled just keeps things cool, but they are known to crack between the holes, so it's best to keep an eye on them, again, the cooling is not necessarily needed for the street.

Supa Dexta
06-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Its actually to vent the gas that forms from the heat/friction of braking as well.

teggypimp95
06-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah slotting rotors, are to constantly shave your pad to keep a clean braking surface, but you got through pads very fast. Drilled are to release any gas between the pads and the rotors. Also helps with cooling. I would only go with these if you plan on tracking your car and you will be doing alot of heaving braking. That being said don't cheap out to much because they will warp are crack like mentioned above.

I got brembo Blank rotors. They actually absorb more heat resulting in better braking.

Eleanor
06-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid
:rolleyes:

Why are you rolling your eyes? They must be junk, pretty much every racing team in the world uses slotted rotors, what do they know compared to some guy on a forum who heard somewhere about someone who bought $20 slotted rotors off Ebay and broke them in half.

God you're such a dumbass sometimes

:angel: :rofl:

Ntense_SpecV
06-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Why are you rolling your eyes? They must be junk, pretty much every racing team in the world uses slotted rotors, what do they know compared to some guy on a forum who heard somewhere about someone who bought $20 slotted rotors off Ebay and broke them in half.

What's really awesome is the fact that he has an avatar of a cross drilled brake...

Kloubek
06-26-2008, 11:14 AM
It is very true that for most car applications, you do not want slotted rotors. Unless you plan on changing your pads every couple of months.

There is nothing wrong with cross-drilled though. A good cross-drilled rotor will improve braking distances for sure, and reduce fade.

Hakkola
06-26-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm getting cross-drilled and slotted rotors, and I don't track my car. Don't care about the shortened pad life. OEM blanks look like SHIT when you have big rims and you can see the brakes really well.

badatusrnames
06-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

I think he's rolling his eyes at the post above his... or is my sarcasm detector broken?

Eleanor
06-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
or is my sarcasm detector broken?

Nail -> Head

420Ninja
06-26-2008, 03:40 PM
I got some summit racing cross drilled and slotted rotors for my T-Bird, they dont grip quite as hard as the stock ones but ive hauled it down from 130-140 with the pedal to the floor without any warping or lighting the pads on fire, and i have a habit of warping rotors like nobody business, so for the $200 including shipping it was a great upgrade.

Ajay
06-26-2008, 04:45 PM
I found some Brembo blank OEM replacement rotors online but only for the front.

Did some research and I really don't need slotted or cross drilled. I drive my car from A to be B and that's it.

A friend of mine built a Supra up to a pretty decent WHP and even he didn't change the brakes.

teg_boya
06-26-2008, 04:50 PM
the main benifits are the fact that they dont fade nearly as fast and they look mad tyte yo

whiskas
06-26-2008, 04:52 PM
If you want to stop quick then good brake fluid, pads and tires will go a lot further than some bling bling brake kit.

Ajay
06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Well really the only reason I needed new rotors is because my front ones are warped and when I brake it feels like I'm in a massage chair except a really bad massage chair.

The Brembo OEM replacements should hopefully be here by July 7

canadianskyline
06-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
The Brembo OEM replacements should hopefully be here by July 7

That must be a pretty accurate parts guy to get it right to the exact day.