PDA

View Full Version : Bad car day

T5_X
08-28-2003, 05:26 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Sorry, just have to vent. My Volvo is in for 1500 in repairs right now, needs a new clutch/ throwout bearing soon (another expensive job), and a possible engine rebuild.

Also, I just threw my whole daytona together, it was apart the whole summer, I replaced tons of parts, just put a new head gasket in, put a new clutch in, timing belt, tons of other stuff. Go to start it up and no dice, sitting here after 5 hours of tuning and searching for problems and no progress :banghead:

Don't even feel like looking at a car again for the rest of the day. Anyone else pissed off at thier cars lately? :banghead:

Cueman
08-28-2003, 05:38 PM
I feel ya.

I've got something sitting under a car cover right now... been there for over a month, and prolly staying out there for a while more. Just needed to forget...

I'm lucky enough that my job gives me a vehicle I can drive around and not worry about.

Melinda
08-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by T5_X
Don't even feel like looking at a car again for the rest of the day. Anyone else pissed off at thier cars lately? :banghead:

:werd: Bent CV axel and corroding break lines...mine is sitting in the driveway right now too...:thumbsdow

finboy
08-28-2003, 10:46 PM
why isn't the daytona starting?

is it getting spark?

T5_X
08-28-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by finboy
why isn't the daytona starting?

is it getting spark?

Not sure exactly, I got a couple threads on TD asking about it. Time has run out anyway, I'm going back to alberta tomorrow so I have to abandon the project for at least 4 months.

finboy
08-28-2003, 11:41 PM
there are a couple things it could be (fuel pump, battery, distributor and related components, etc.)

since you are back in alberta, give me a call and i can see about finding you some parts.

T5_X
08-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Nah, she's getting perfect fuel pressure in the rail, and I took the dizzy apart and its in top shape, timing's perfect (int. shaft east to west, crank cam and int sprockets all in alignment) don't really think its ignition, never had a problem before. Think its in the electronics for fuel delivery.

Thx for the offer, I'm gonna switch to a 1 pc I think. I just end up damaging stuff when I try to get the rail out on the 2 pc, no damn room to work with at all :banghead: :thumbsdow

finboy
08-29-2003, 10:19 AM
i have a spare 1 piece in black, i may be interested in the 2 piece ;)

kevie88
08-29-2003, 11:38 AM
fug.. In the past 3 days I've done a timing belt and waterpump job , replaced the hood and front bumper and swapped radiators on my girlfriends 93 Civic, I've completely reinstalled all the intake system on my Prelude after all the shit got ripped off.. but it doesn't work properly cuz the fast idle valve isn't working right.

I've worked on cars and motorcycles until 2 am every night this week and I'm frickin exhausted man.. and I've got more to do tonight.. :(

calarina
08-29-2003, 01:07 PM
My car always pisses me off. Love-hate relationship with it now. The actual engine is fine, but all the damn components around the engine are going! Haha, there's too damn many to list, but that's what you get with a 16 year old with 345,000kms on it with OEM parts on it. :(

Just replaced the Distributor cap and Rotor yesterday, and it was still the OEM! As far as we knew...it was starting to build up some carbon on the tip of the rotor which was the reason it was still sending spark. :rofl:

rice_eater
08-29-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by T5_X
Go to start it up and no dice, sitting here after 5 hours of tuning and searching for problems and no progress :banghead:

man...after rebuilding my car i ended up ripping it appart and rebuilding it two more times...it's been over a month since the initial rebuild and just now are all the little bugs fixed... i noticed, after countless nights and days wasted in the garage that when you are really stuck just go have a beer and have a good night sleep and the next day when you go back you come out with new ideas or new ways of looking at things and you solve the problem pretty quick...as for the car not starting check that some odd little wire isnt loose or unhooked...the most common thing that ALWAYS happens to me is either the wired to the distributor isn't hooked up properly or one of the batery terminals isn't tight enough :bullshit: for some reason as long as it can still move a tad little bit on the electrode it wont start :dunno: Point is just take your time and slowly check everything and you'll be fine :D

T5_X
08-30-2003, 11:21 AM
Oh gooooodie! Took the trip over to calgary from vancouver yesterday and my car is losing assloads of coolant. Yet another problem for my volvo :thumbsdow
Took the thermostat out on the side of the road... but noooo, it can't be just a shitty little peice like the thermostat, its gonna be a money pit job like the water pump or rad :banghead:

Originally posted by rice_eater

man...after rebuilding my car i ended up ripping it appart and rebuilding it two more times...it's been over a month since the initial rebuild and just now are all the little bugs fixed... i noticed, after countless nights and days wasted in the garage that when you are really stuck just go have a beer and have a good night sleep and the next day when you go back you come out with new ideas or new ways of looking at things and you solve the problem pretty quick...as for the car not starting check that some odd little wire isnt loose or unhooked...the most common thing that ALWAYS happens to me is either the wired to the distributor isn't hooked up properly or one of the batery terminals isn't tight enough :bullshit: for some reason as long as it can still move a tad little bit on the electrode it wont start :dunno: Point is just take your time and slowly check everything and you'll be fine :D

Yah, problem is my car is back in vancouver, and I won't be able to have a go on it for a long time. If it was running rough I would be happy with it, but a no start really chapped my ass.

Hey Adam, please take that 2 pc off my hands! I don't know how guys on TD get the rail out with it! I took the whole top peice off for that!

finboy
08-30-2003, 06:08 PM
its a real bitch to get the rail out because you need to remove the top, but you can (pain in the ass though) remove the fuel pressure regulator without doing it.

if you want to swap, my spare 1 piece is in my trunk right now.

btw, wait till you see my new intercooler, its a big chunk out of a mac truck :D