PDA

View Full Version : Best startegy to keep fluids off driveway while taking engine out.

ekguy
06-26-2008, 09:32 PM
So most likely taking out the d for someone in my civic in the next week. I know how to drain the oil. And I feel confident enough to be able to figure out how to drain the transmission fluid. Now I will also need to drain coolant as well. Which I have no clue how to do.

Also any other fluids need to be drained??? Power steering?
Anything??

and any tricks on how to keep my driveway clean. I was figuring an old blanket with maybe some old cardboard boxes over it. Any other tricks for this. Our driveway is not stained and any oil will leave a major stain.

misterrick
06-26-2008, 09:35 PM
get a roll of poly and spread it over the driveway before driving onto it.

TomcoPDR
06-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Old shower curtains, but remember that brake cleaner will eat that stuff (soak into through the material)... so just test it with the fluid that's going to leak. (I THINK motor oil should be fine)

Or just get a huge roll of vapor barrer (for house siding) from Home Depot for like $30/roll... once it gets dirty/oily, then cut out another section.

mark4091
06-26-2008, 09:41 PM
^ Do what was said above, put some quick dry down for it to soak into aswell.

ekguy
06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
why would I be worrying about break cleaner??? And i'll check for that vapor barrier. Is it that black stuff they tack to the houses before the siding goes on?

any other advice from people who have pulled engines before from a civic or any other car would be great since I think me and the guy wanting it will both be figuring things out as we go.

ercchry
06-26-2008, 10:06 PM
go with polly it is just a clear plastic sheet, i think vapor barrier may= polly?

mrbojangles
06-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Get a bag of Kitty litter to absorb any spills immediately.

Senseiz
06-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Sawdust works well in absorbing fluids.

talonboi
06-27-2008, 08:24 AM
put some polly down and put kitty litter on top of the polly so that it absorbs it immediately.

you wont have to drain your powersteering fluid, just un-bolt the p/s pump from the motor.

for the coolant, there should a be a drain plug on the bottom of the rad. it'll take a few minutes for it to drain, but just to let you know, not all of the coolant would be drained. so there will be some coolant leaking out while lifting the motor up.

also i've seen this happen many times. When bolting up the chain to llift the motor, never use anything smaller then a 10mm. i know this is common sense, but just a little reminder.

GL

Redlyne_mr2
06-27-2008, 09:37 AM
whats the condition and mileage of the engine in your civic? is it a 1.6L same as the si coupe? I may have a buyer for it if so.